collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 58
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

December 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Author Topic: 'Welcome to Monster High' - Fall 2016 movie  (Read 74471 times)

Offline Fairy Tale Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Ever After High Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 'Welcome to Monster High' - Fall 2016 movie
« Reply #400 on: October 23, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »

Offline Snow Musket

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 29, 2016, 08:06:53 PM »
I finally watched the movie and I have to say that I loved it.

This was definitely a reboot.

For the first time since I've tried Monster High I found Draculaura to be likable.  I might actually even get a doll of her now.  Frankie being techy made sense when you think about her occasional mad scientist tendencies in G1 Monster High.  I don't think it will take away from Ghoulia to have another smart girl character.

I've never liked the use of the term "normie" in Monster High as it reminded me too much of real world slurs.  Other than Frankie using it once when meeting Draculaura there was a clear divide between the good guys using "human" and Moanica using "normie".  I appreciated that a lot.

Dracula and WolfMom were adorable. 

The stakes felt more real and more emotional than in many of the other movies. Moanica had a real goal and it was one that would feel familiar to viewers.

As long as the G2 universe doesn't make the mistake of monsterfying every single city, country, and landmark like the old one did I will actually be able to believe it's message of living together and that monsters are in hiding.  If they go back and show the Great Fright Flight I'd like to see both humans and monsters equally in the wrong.  Don't get me wrong, there was nothing with a monster world in and of itself, but it completely changes Ghoul's Rule and the some of the early episodes.

I imagine that the future episodes and specials will slowly reintroduce many of the old characters without recounting their old intros blow by blow.

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 31, 2016, 06:55:58 PM »
Just saw the movie on tv, I don't like the concept of the reasons of the creation of the school, is TOO CLOSE to the plot to Hotel Transylvania, just switch the hotel for the Dracula's mansion/school were his daughter is keep from the outside world to protect her  :annoyed:

So in order to makes his daughter happy he invites only monsters to be her friends and no human policy, Ari is like the inverse of Jonathan from Hotel Transylvania, as she is a monster trying to pass as a human, and when the true is discovered she acts as an ambassador for the monsters in the human "world", just like Jonathan is an ambassador for humans in the monster "world"

I think what happened is that some mothers did't liked Bloodwood as for what I heard the doll version sales were very slow and poor, so it appears Mattel wanted to get rid of the character so they replaced her wit a gentle Dracula

What makes me sad is to see that Frankie is the new "tech ghoul" that means we are getting more and more further away from seeing a G2 version of Ghoulia  :cry:

Well at least the animation is smooth and has good face expressions  ^^;

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:29:45 PM by Sapphire-Light »

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 05, 2016, 09:21:35 AM »
I've never liked the use of the term "normie" in Monster High as it reminded me too much of real world slurs.  Other than Frankie using it once when meeting Draculaura there was a clear divide between the good guys using "human" and Moanica using "normie".  I appreciated that a lot.

Good catch! It actually makes a lot of sense
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Claire85

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 09, 2016, 07:53:44 AM »
Finally watched it today, in hindsight, probably should have either watched it earlier or later with.. well. yeah.

I didn't hate it but some things for sure put me off.

Moanica's accent is just odd.

I like "Ari" better as Tash than I do as Ari. Should have just made Ari look like Tash more. All of her wonderful color scheme went away to the purple I am kind of tired of.

I like Frankie being smart, but it also made me miss the gap that Ghoulia left. It makes me wonder if Ghoulia gets introduced again, if she will basically switch roles with Frankie and be the "new girl".

Again, the fact that two teenagers made the school is great, but... really?

Deuce's animated look is off putting to me still. He just looks malnourished or something. Maybe its just because he's younger. Did they change his voice actor?

The animation is beautiful though. I would have loved to see more of their "monster finding" adventures. That was fun.
Cleo may be my favorite, I adore her.

All in all, I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I don't think all of this was really necessary.

Offline Heyheymandakay

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
  • ~Venus McFlytrap~
    • View Profile
    • Pinkie Couture: The Salon I Work At
« Reply #405 on: November 11, 2016, 01:21:26 PM »
Moanica's accent is just odd.

I believe that her accent is one of a Spaniard. She obviously speaks Spanish and uses a few Spanish words though out the movie but her accent is obviously not from Mexico or Latin America.
-Manda Kay

Offline textsfrommh

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 12, 2016, 01:43:02 PM »
They made a comic of the movie for the Monster High magazine. It's all abridged in 8 pages, but the artwork is pretty good.

http://super-airi.tumblr.com/post/154374700139/welcome-to-monster-high-comics

Offline Scaredevil

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 22, 2016, 11:30:53 PM »
So terrible I am stepping away from Monster High completely. Quite sad, as I enjoyed the line for so long, but to change so much...nope, I'm done.

Offline Oberon

• Freaky Fabulous
  • Geeky Just Got Fabulous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 23, 2016, 10:49:55 AM »
Finally got around to watching it. Wish Draculaura hadn't had her vampire powers from the get-go, as it doesn't fit into established canon.  Loved Moanica! Finally a villain that can recur because they haven't turned her into a friend. A doll of Wraith would be interesting
Geeky Just Got Fabulous!

Offline Majesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 23, 2016, 02:21:28 PM »
So terrible I am stepping away from Monster High completely. Quite sad, as I enjoyed the line for so long, but to change so much...nope, I'm done.

You can do what I'm doing...just focus on the old line (unless you have every doll ever made).  You can appreciate Monster High for what it was....watching the movies, etc and buying new dolls you don't have from the old line.  I frequent amazon. ;)

Offline Scaredevil

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 23, 2016, 09:32:44 PM »

You can do what I'm doing...just focus on the old line (unless you have every doll ever made).  You can appreciate Monster High for what it was....watching the movies, etc and buying new dolls you don't have from the old line.  I frequent amazon. ;)

I already have everything I want from the old line, save the SDCC Robecca set. My focus has been on other things lately so this is probably good timing. I do still enjoy the old movies and episodes.

Offline KittyCourtz

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Stone Cold Style
  • Just a lovable catgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 23, 2016, 09:36:34 PM »
It definitely doesn't wow me as much as the older movies/webisodes did. It was ok though for what it was. Plus, no Mr. Rotter? They had better bring back the old teachers in the reboot at some point.

Offline Majesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 26, 2016, 07:04:19 PM »
What I don't get is Draculaura's castle or manor or whatever it was didn't look nearly as big as Monster High was in the older line.  I don't see how they could house every student even if they expended it.  I also don't see why the families are staying there too.  I know that some of the parents are teachers there but I feel like Clawdeen has tons more brothers and sisters in the reboot than she did in the original line and I feel like there's no way they could fit all of them.