collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 33
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

September 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Author Topic: My custom dolls/OCs- Pg 14, Seth Ptolemy and Quill Talyntino  (Read 29236 times)

Offline justkitter

• Recovering Completionist
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
Re: My custom dolls/OCs- Pg 12, Gory Fangtell and Raythe
« Reply #260 on: June 02, 2018, 07:38:56 PM »
I love how Pharaoh's shirt turned out:) Totally worth all the effort you put into it. It's very impressive.

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: My custom dolls/OCs- Pg 14, Seth Ptolemy
« Reply #261 on: June 06, 2018, 06:56:18 PM »
Seth is done! First pictures under the spoiler cut.  I hope to take some better ones soon.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
I make the dolls Mattel won't.

Offline dfotw

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 07, 2018, 01:43:40 PM »
Wow, your Seth is wonderful! He's really accurate, and I love how you shaped his nose. :clap:

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Monster Hunter
  • "there are tiny squishy MH tiny people"
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #263 on: June 08, 2018, 10:11:54 PM »
WOW!!! <3 Your Seth is amazing!! I wish Mattel had the brains to make the dolls you do, and yours are made with such skill and talent they look factory anyway. You are like queen of the customs!
Also Esbayne on the MLP Arena, PonyIsland, and pretty much everywhere else.
Looking for Ghouls Rule Cleo's necklace + scarf!

:kitty:

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 14, 2018, 09:11:33 AM »
Wow, thanks for the praise!  Quill is still in-progress, but I hope to have an update for her soon.

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: My custom dolls/OCs- Pg 14, Seth Ptolemy and Quill Talyntino
« Reply #265 on: July 11, 2018, 04:44:10 PM »
Presenting Quill Talyntino!

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 11, 2018, 05:19:30 PM »
Beautiful! I'm so amaze by your talent!
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline justkitter

• Recovering Completionist
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 11, 2018, 06:04:11 PM »
I love the last photo with all three fan vote dolls standing side by side:)

I would have voted for Gory dead last, as she seemed like such a simple doll, but seeing your custom makes me realize, if Mattel had done her well, she could have been a beautiful doll. I'm surprised that she's my favorite, when I wasn't interested in her in the slightest.

Quill turned out really nice. I love all the feather details and her outfit looks perfect. Great job, as always:)

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 13, 2018, 07:39:44 AM »
Thanks!  I agree that, once I had all three of them as dolls, I appreciated Gory and Quill a lot more.  I still think that fans made the right choice to have Finnegan get made.  He's just so unique that it's amazing a doll that's male, disabled, and a completely new mold got manufactured.  I still wish the other two had found a way to make it to production, though.

Quill's recipe:  She's made from the Harpie CAM head and lower legs, and her lower arms and wings from Avea Trotter.  It's not so obvious in pictures, but she's actually pretty neon yellow in person - I figured that as a bird person, she is more related to parakeets and parrots than any sort of bird of prey, so she's the same color as a tennis ball, just like those cute pet parakeets. 

Offline airiel

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 07, 2018, 09:04:58 AM »
They all look fantastic! Great job! You always inspire me to quit ignoring my customs!

Airiel

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
Re: My custom dolls/OCs- pg 9, De-suckifying Dracula
« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2018, 06:38:54 AM »
Hi Kara,
I've been away from the Arena for awhile, and just checked in to see your customs thread - oh such wonderful eye candy! Really enjoyable to see such great dolls and quality in the execution! Thank you!

I'm not familiar with Quill, but I shall google her now. Thanks for the explanation of her being part of the voting with Finnegan, that's helpful.

Also, great info on the molding/sculpting products! Thank you!

I also really ADORE Gory and her new poodle Garlick (great name choice!!)

I'm also working on my revamped Intergalactic Gala Supergirl.  She's been rerooted and her outfit is partially done.  I'm still working on her cape.

Also, here is an early sneak peak at the progress on Quill Talyntino, who should be getting her body painted later this week.  I'm about halfway done with her at this point.

[/quote][/spoiler]

[/quote][/spoiler]

And finally, thanks for the info about airbrushing - e.g., sanding joints before painting, using primer, applying sealer afterward. What are you using for sanding the joints? And are you using a respirator when air-brushing? What product(s) do you recommend for primer with acrylics? THANK YOU!!

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 06:55:28 AM by DogMom »
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Crystal-Spooky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • One-Eyed Ghoul
  • Professionally broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 09, 2018, 08:21:17 PM »
AH! Quill looks amazing! I love the different fabric textures you've used for her outfit and the moulded feather front/rooted back hair combo, it looks totally factory! Your work always inspires me :blush:
On a side note, given how simple her design is, to you reckon we would have gotten an officially-released Quill in the same manner as we got Gilda? Included in a multi-pack? Interesting to think about all that could have been (like those planned Monster Exchange ghouls, agh!)  :P
~*~ We are shooting stars ~*~

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: My custom dolls/OCs- pg 9, De-suckifying Dracula
« Reply #272 on: September 10, 2018, 02:10:46 PM »
And finally, thanks for the info about airbrushing - e.g., sanding joints before painting, using primer, applying sealer afterward. What are you using for sanding the joints? And are you using a respirator when air-brushing? What product(s) do you recommend for primer with acrylics? THANK YOU!!

Thanks for all the love!  I use either Testors sanding films or Tamiya sanding sponges.  They have extremely fine grits and are reusable over and over again.  They also work great with wet sanding, which gives a smoother finish and doesn't kick up dust like dry sanding does.

I absolutely recommend wearing a respirator when airbrushing.  The particles are very small, and if you're spraying anything that's not water-based, it's going to have solvents in it as well. 

For priming before painting, I usually use a krylon primer intended for plastics.  I usually don't prime vinyl parts (like the heads) since the paint adheres very well and sometimes the vinyl will react with a spray paint and stay sticky forever.

Quote from: Crystal-Spooky
AH! Quill looks amazing! I love the different fabric textures you've used for her outfit and the moulded feather front/rooted back hair combo, it looks totally factory! Your work always inspires me :blush:
On a side note, given how simple her design is, to you reckon we would have gotten an officially-released Quill in the same manner as we got Gilda? Included in a multi-pack? Interesting to think about all that could have been (like those planned Monster Exchange ghouls, agh!)

Thanks!  I do think they would have tried to slide Gilda in to a multi-pack, or maybe into an SDCC exclusive if the line hadn't started winding down and gotten rebooted.  Of the backgrounders, she was one of the most prominent ones. 

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 10, 2018, 05:05:20 PM »
You're welcome! Love your customs!

Thanks for the sanding, etc., info. I found a box of airbrushing parts left in the alley, probably when someone moved & didn't want to take them. Need to sort out what's there and what I need to get, but I'm excited about trying it on some dolls.

"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis