collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

July 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Author Topic: My custom dolls/OCs- Pg 14, Seth Ptolemy and Quill Talyntino  (Read 27104 times)

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
I've posted these on Deviantart and a different MH board, so if they look familiar, that's why.

Anyhow!  These are my customs.  I hope you like them!  Most of them were done as gifts for friends and are based on their character ideas, so I don't claim full ownership over the designs.  I did draw all of the art shown, though.

If it's all right, because this is so image-heavy I'm going to break it into multiple posts.  The first post will be dolls I've made for my own personal collection, and the second will be dolls that are gifts to friends.  Then from then on I'll do progress pictures on dolls I'm currently working on.

Post Merge: May 08, 2015, 02:19:48 PM

These are the dolls I made for myself:

Draconia St. George, daughter of the Avalon dragons was my first custom.  She was completed in 2012, before Jinafire Long was released.  I found it funny that both the Monster High designers and myself thought up a dragon ghoul with a gold, green and purple colour scheme.   ;)

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Scarilyn and Abnorma-Gene Moanroe are the daughters of the Radioactive Mutant.  The doll glows in the dark.

Kai Merha is the (immensely difficult to photograph) son of a Mad Scientist.  He is the result of a lab accident transforming a teenager into a monsterous mash-up of a chimera. 

Atomica Servo is the daughter of the Automatons.  Specifically, the daughter of Future from the silent film Metropolis.  She was made in 2013, before Elle Eedee was a glimmer in any creator's eyes, and again I'm sort of surprised at the elements that are similar between the two!

Rorrim "Rory" Bludworth is the son of Bloody Mary.  He is also immensely difficult to photograph, on account of being so shiny. 

From Ever After High, Polly Bunyan is the daughter of Paul Bunyan.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:39:01 PM by Kara Zor-El »
I make the dolls Mattel won't.

Offline writtenhuman

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
    • That Monster Mash
Re: My custom dolls/OCs
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 02:26:15 PM »
Atomica is fantastic! I love her hair and her faceup and...actually everything.

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 02:29:56 PM »
These are dolls I've made as gifts for friends or as commissions:

Dashner Hawke, genetically engineered Son of the White-Coated Scientists.  I did not make the clothes for this guy, but I did do the outfit design.

Layla LaMia, daughter of the Lamia. 

Chase Quadripedes (aka Chase Q to his friends), son of the Centaurs.  He was made about a year before Avea Trotter debuted.

Glen Da West, son of the Wicked Witch.  He was my first boy custom.  I think I've improved a lot since then.

Tori Underbridge is the daughter of the trolls and this doll was made for a custom swap with KustomKara (one of my very beast friends!)

Demona, daughter of the demons, was a gift for another friend who created this clawesome ghoul.

Marceline LaGhede, daughter of Baron Samedi, was a commission for a friend.  I love the gorgeous green hair on this doll.

Roswell Gray, another of KustomKara's creations, was a doll that I made for her for Christmas last year.  His shoes, belt buckle, kneepads and guitar all glow in the dark.

Lin McGearloch, son of the Gremlins, is one of the most challenging customs I've ever made.  He's a hybrid Equestria Girls/Monster High doll, slightly shorter than a Little Sister MH.

Shadeaux "Shad" D. Gloom, son of a Sackman, turned out pretty great for his creator.

Harry Herne, son of the Erlking (king of the Fae)

Peggy Springwell, daughter of Pegasus

Nero de Sphinx was a christmas gift to his creator, who goes by the name Celaeno on this board.  I used seven different dolls (SEVEN!) to make her buff rapper boy Nero. <3

Ursa Roarmanov, a Russian bear, is a collaboration between myself and KustomKara as a Big Sister-type who goes to Monster Booniversity.  She ended up being kind of a cyberpunk hacker ghoul!

These are some other bits that I've done for my own collection.

Dead Tired Jackson Jekyll (Based on his webisode appearance)

"Signature" Slo-Mo and Gil Webber dolls.

More accurate Invisibilly - haircut and fixed the cuffs on his clamdigger pants.

Johnny Spirit

Screen-Accurate Dracula

De-lectrified Silvi Timberwolf

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:04:51 PM by Kara Zor-El »

Offline HauntFun

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
    • HauntFun
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 02:35:03 PM »
Very nice! So wonderful! Mere words cannot express.  :cry:

:ohyeah: :clap: :like:

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 02:37:18 PM »
Thank you  :blush:

Later tonight I'll show what I'm currently working on.

Offline rosierjay

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 02:59:54 PM »
these are amazing!!!
the transition from image to doll is flawless!!
jealous of your mad skills

Offline Jibrill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 04:17:55 PM »
Wonderful! You really made them into monsters that could be designed by Mattel, from the detailed design to the well-finished dolls!

My favourite is the son of Bloody Mary - love his shiny skin & that vest <3
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 04:19:49 PM by Jibrill »

Offline Dirili

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 04:48:47 PM »
XD I love extreme mods! Especially when they are metallic, shiny and/or sparkly ^_^

Offline Scarlett

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 05:19:51 PM »
You're very talented!

I particularly like your dragon-doll, the colours are beautiful.

And the glow-in-the-dark one is great as well.

Offline Melissa

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »
Scarilyn and Abnorma-Gene  :haha: I love it!!

These are all so creative!!

Offline kurojaki

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 11:46:14 PM »
Oh my RA! These are amazing! Great job! :biggrin:

Offline Zeowitch

• The other De Nile
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • This is me in all my .........errrrrrrr.....glory?
    • View Profile
    • Notrenlim Phoenix Tradition
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 01:42:49 PM »
Ghoul!! This is amazing!!
I love Rorrim "Rory" Bludworth. he is so cute. And Glen Da West. And the Daughter of the Lamia. Ghoul You have some real talent!!
Have a Monsteriffic Day!
xxx
Z

Offline Sspit_fire

• First Wave Dead Tired
  • ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 03:43:59 AM »
These are so awesome! I really love Layla LaMia! I'm so jealous of your skills!! :biggrin:

Offline distantfox

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 09:30:38 AM »
Kai, Rory, Dash... Wow! These guys are so amazing. Love it!

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 02:44:19 PM »
Okay, these are all AMAZING.  Not only do you have great taste in pets, you are an incredible customizer! 

Trying to decide on a favorite but it's really difficult... I think Rorrim Bludworth might be my absolute favorite.  The outfits are incredible too.  Did you make them yourself??

What kind of paint do you use for their faces and bodies?  Also, painted joints!?  What sorcery is this??  How do you prevent the paint from rubbing? :0
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:47:15 PM by Tropical_Sunset »

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 07:43:03 AM »
Okay, these are all AMAZING.  Not only do you have great taste in pets, you are an incredible customizer! 

Trying to decide on a favorite but it's really difficult... I think Rorrim Bludworth might be my absolute favorite.  The outfits are incredible too.  Did you make them yourself??

What kind of paint do you use for their faces and bodies?  Also, painted joints!?  What sorcery is this??  How do you prevent the paint from rubbing? :0

The outfits are all hand-made, yes.  On many of them, I designed the fabric patterns in photoshop and printed them out on printer-ready fabric, which is an AMAZING invention I recommend all customizers check out.  It's literally an 8 x 11" sheet of cotton fabric bonded to a piece of paper that can be run through your inkjet printer. 

Draconia's dress, Abnorma-Gene's DNA-pattern shirt, Kai Merha's pants, Atomica's dress and Rory's vest were all made using this technique.

You can get the fabric here:
http://www.amazon.com/Jacquard-Fabric-Cotton-Sheets-Pack/dp/B002201YEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431441368&sr=8-1&keywords=printer+fabric

Most of the bodies are painted either with Citadel brand acrylics, or Montana Gold brand acrylic spray paint.  Montana Gold spraypaint is AMAZING stuff.  It's acrylic, so it can be used on the heads, hands and feet without it remaining forever sticky.  Rory is painted with the Montana Gold chrome spray paint, head to toe.  He didn't even require a top coat.

To prevent paint chipping, there are some preparations I do before painting.  The bodies are cleaned with alcohol to remove any oil migration from the plastic and parts that feel rubbery (hands, boy feet, sometimes forearms and legs) are soaked for a day in alcohol.  This migrates out the plasticizers and makes them much more stable for spraying with primer.  I lightly sand the joint areas so paint will adhere even better, as well.

100% I recommend priming the bodies with a plastic-friendly primer, like Krylon or Testors brand primer.  I do not prime the heads, though.  The vinyl does not like primer and will remain sticky forever. 

I haven't had any issues with paint rubs/chipping using this technique.  I also do things a little bit backwards; I paint the heads AFTER rooting is finished so that I don't risk rubbing or messing up the faceups. 

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
  • Spread the skelelove! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 04:46:08 AM »
both your art and the customs made out of them look great! I love how the art details were transferred onto the actual dolls, great work!

also, that printable fabric is a great idea! so far IRL I've only come across printable paper that can be iron-transferred, I'll have to go check our stores for that fabric. though the inkjet makes me wonder... will the print be waterproof, or can it be somehow fixed to be waterproof? I do not plan to make swimwear for my dollies and then actually make them do heavy swimming exercises, but water can accidentally drip on clothes during an outdoor photoshoot, or they might get stained which would have to be removed somehow. do you have any experience with this?
:roch: :skel:

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 07:54:38 AM »
The inkjet fabric is specially treated so it can be subjected to water.  In fact, after printing son brands advise you to rinse out the fabric to remove excess ink.  They recommend hand-washing after printing.  The fabric is originally intended for quilting so it's pretty versatile. 

One thing to note; it is only a woven cotton.  I have not found a knit printable fabric, in that case I rely on iron-on transfers, like the "Hex Games" logo on Chases shirt.

Offline aednatia

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 10:05:07 AM »
Wow I really like Atomica Servo.

What paint did you use to make the Scarilyn and Abnorma-Gene Moanroe glow?

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 05:22:39 PM »
Instead of top-coating them with dullcote, I used a Krylon glow in the dark spray paint over a flueorescent yellow paint.  It adhered better than I could have hoped and imparts a REALLY strong, long-lasting glow.