collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 24
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

July 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
[21] 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Bonanza and other eBay alternatives?  (Read 985 times)

Offline TheStripyCat

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Creative Kitty
  • An aspiring doll artist
    • View Profile
    • HeartbeatDolls
Bonanza and other eBay alternatives?
« on: March 15, 2015, 07:35:10 AM »
So I dipped my toes in selling on eBay and I can't say I love it. The fees are high (10%), then come PP fees (5-6%) and this "buyer is always right" attitude.
I was surprised sellers can't leave negative or neutral feedback to buyers. And now I've got a not paying buyer, who became "no longer registered with ebay" after making me wait for 4 days. Had I read the feedback, I would have been aware of possible non-payment and could propose to cancel the bid and make a second chance offer. But it was a 100% positive feedback and I learnt too late. C'mon, eBay, your money comes from sellers! Don't you want to take some care about them?
I started searching for alternatives and found several other places to sell various items. One of them was Bonanza, which ranked high among online selling sites. So do you buy from or sell at any other international sites like eBay (excluding sites for handmade things like Etsy)?
Sent from my phone.

Offline DEStokes

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • MIB Collector
  • Beast Friend Forever After
    • View Profile
Re: Bonanza and other eBay alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:27:39 AM »
I've never sold there myself, but I've bought from Bonanza several times and had no issues at all. 

Offline Diamond

• Wine cellar goddess
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 12:50:33 PM »
Bonanza looks interesting, it seems to be more of a set price not auction site.  Basically you need to sign up and see what the fees look like.  eBay seems to reach more folks then any other site I have seen and since you can run things as an auction you always have that chance for your item to sell for more then your asking price. 

I am guessing your fees are high due to your location, so that might be something to check on Bonanza about, I know our fees are not that high, nor is my pay pal fees.  I do compared to other auction sites, or real auction houses that take a 20% commission on what ever you sell, ebay is a bargain considering how people it can reach and the fact you do not have to do any work to advertise your items. 

Offline hathorcat

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 06:34:44 AM »
I will admit that simply due to volume, I tend to rely on ebay for buying and for selling. Its market share and number of sellers/buyers are hard to avoid. So I think you have to balance out the sales price you will get for something against the fees you will pay. If you get 10+% more per sale on ebay than it actually works out financially worth while. In addition, no matter the site you choose to use most buyers will expect to be able to pay via paypal (it has become ingrained as the safe and protected way to exchange money for so many people) so you are always going to loose that percentage.

Now, I am not disagreeing with the fact ebay fees, their attitude and the way they treat sellers does suck. Its just that I have yet to find a comparative site that makes switching worth while.

However, if ebay is getting to you then I think trying something like etsy or Bonanza is a great idea. Pop a couple of items on them and test the waters :)

Offline TheStripyCat

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Creative Kitty
  • An aspiring doll artist
    • View Profile
    • HeartbeatDolls
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:30:22 AM »
Bonanza looks interesting, it seems to be more of a set price not auction site.  Basically you need to sign up and see what the fees look like.  eBay seems to reach more folks then any other site I have seen and since you can run things as an auction you always have that chance for your item to sell for more then your asking price. 

I am guessing your fees are high due to your location, so that might be something to check on Bonanza about, I know our fees are not that high, nor is my pay pal fees.  I do compared to other auction sites, or real auction houses that take a 20% commission on what ever you sell, ebay is a bargain considering how people it can reach and the fact you do not have to do any work to advertise your items.
I knew my PP fee were higher because of location, but I thought ebay fees were equal for everybody  :annoyed: The fees might be ok if you have a bussiness. In that case the quantity of sold items might be more important that the price. But if you are a one-time seller... I don't know, 10% seems a bit too much.

I will admit that simply due to volume, I tend to rely on ebay for buying and for selling. Its market share and number of sellers/buyers are hard to avoid. So I think you have to balance out the sales price you will get for something against the fees you will pay. If you get 10+% more per sale on ebay than it actually works out financially worth while. In addition, no matter the site you choose to use most buyers will expect to be able to pay via paypal (it has become ingrained as the safe and protected way to exchange money for so many people) so you are always going to loose that percentage.

Now, I am not disagreeing with the fact ebay fees, their attitude and the way they treat sellers does suck. Its just that I have yet to find a comparative site that makes switching worth while.

However, if ebay is getting to you then I think trying something like etsy or Bonanza is a great idea. Pop a couple of items on them and test the waters :)

I'm selling russian exclusives there (Novi Stars and Bratz) and they are quite pricey, so +10% is not something buyers wouldn't mind:) Besides, Bonanza doesn't charge final fee on first $10 of shipping. I will indeed try to sell a couple items there. The reason why I'm asking is actually that I found this rating and got curious whether Bonanza is really that popular. I registered there and tried searching for sold items and it seems dolls are not selling that well there (only 80 MH dolls sold in last year and 11 Bratz since June). So I just kinda don't understand where that rating comes from:)

Offline dxgirly

• Pullip Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Cleo & Deuce 2-Pack
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 10:11:51 PM »
Honestly, I had never heard of it until I saw this thread.  ^^;

Hey! I'm Nikki! <3 Check Out My Youtube Toy Channel, My BJD Channel and My Gaming Channel 

Offline hathorcat

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 02:54:10 PM »
I have heard of it...but in all these years of collecting I have come across perhaps 3 or 4 people using it to sell (which is a tiny number in the grand scheme of things). And they used it more as a store front to show off items for sale on other sites rather than as a standalone tool unfortunately.