collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

July 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Author Topic: Doll care: Tips and Tricks  (Read 8509 times)

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
Re: Doll care: Tips and Tricks
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »
I guess the nice hairdo would be gone for sure
Yikes! Hope itís not an operetta :(
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline Melissa

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
Thanks. Yeah, possible differences between a, say, Indonesian and a Chinese made doll X was what I meant. Maybe I'll buy either to figure it out myself.

New issue: cigarette smoke. Bought a supposedly MIB doll that turned out to reek of smoke once warmed up to room temperature (from truck temperature). I can't keep it in this condition. Obviously I can't try to clean the doll without removing her from the box. I do want to try a dry method first - covering it with bicarb soda for some days - but cardboard stores smells much better than plastic or vinyl, so off it must go. Before I start, I'll post it for sale "as is" and would also appreciate any additional hints. In your experience, is it even *possible* to remove smoke smell from a MH doll?

I guess the nice hairdo would be gone for sure
I think itís actually certain fabrics or certain glues that cause that smell... I havenít been able to narrow it down yet, but I have had certain dolls start smelling like cigarette smoke after being cold (ie sitting in the mailbox or the car) and then warming up to room temperature. Try sticking a dryer sheet in the box for a few days.

Offline Ted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2017, 05:50:59 PM »
Thanks for the dryer sheet hint, didn't think of that. I'll try it out if the bicarb soda won't help - but haven't even tried that yet and for now have put the doll up for sale quite cheap (I think?) before manipulating it in any way. I figure there may be smokers out there who don't mind a light smell, which will be even lighter once the doll is removed from the cardboard (since vinyl and plastic don't assume odors as much as paper does).

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 08:32:12 PM »
This guy literally saved ghouls rule clawdeen and my dawn dancer lalaís life: https://youtu.be/I-mHUV1lhDc ( glue seepage fix )

Hereís a little tip: recurling operetta? Cut a straw good enough for each curl ( make sure itís the right size) then cut it in half and insert the straw into the end. Then put pins in ( this is so it wonít keep coming out and annoying you ) and start curling. Then put in another pin to hold in place. Repeat for all curls. Use hairspray and some hair gel if needed. DO NOT USE COMBOVER HAIR GEL!! please... it will ruin the hair and make it look disgusting and dusty.

Oh and if youíre doing the werecat twins. gel it really good first, then use the old stripes as a guideline and then put the black stripes on.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 12:19:22 PM by Melissa »
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html