collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 25
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

April 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

Author Topic: Boardgames, anybody?  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
Boardgames, anybody?
« on: January 27, 2015, 07:04:11 AM »
The (video) gaming thread got me wondering if there are any other boardgame players on the arena! I'm sure it's probable, but I thought I'd start a thread to see what games everyone likes to play when they're not hooked into their computers or consoles.

The games that dominate the table in our house are Mage Knight and Lords of Waterdeep. We also tend to favour Arkham Horror for larger groups on day-long sessions, or occasionally Elder Sign or Settlers of Catan for shorter ones. We also love a lot of deck-building games like Ascension, Dominion and Nightfall (my personal favourite, because everybody gets what they deserve in the end). And of course, there's the ever-popular Cards Against Humanity (though we have yet to get our hands on the recently released Australian edition).

Anyone else a fan of board or tabletop games?

More traditional games are great, too! Like backgammon or chess. My partner doesn't know it yet, but I've ordered him a custom crokinole board for his birthday (crokinole is a game of Canadian origin, similar to darts or lawn bowls; you play in teams of two, or one on one, trying to position little pucks in the scoring rings by flicking them with one finger).

Offline ebmerc

• Champion of Love and Justice
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Boardgames, anybody?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 07:38:24 AM »
You have great taste in board games! My husband and I love board games and we have sooooo many. Right now our favorites are: Marrying Mr. Darcy, Dominions (we have lots of expansions), Ascension, Arctic Survivor, Royal Palace, Puerto Rico, Pandemic, Flash Point, Elder Sign, Dungeon Dice, Bang! and the list goes on and on. We have a lot of close friends who love to play board games so we keep purchasing them for the many game nights we host.

In the traditional game world I love Rummikub.

Offline Zapper

• Sheep in Werewolf's clothing
  • Monster High Arena
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Monsterista
  • Secretary of Nagriculture
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 07:46:53 AM »
I love board games. Especially the ones where you have to combine chance with strategy (like Chess, Abalone, Taju, etc.)
I'm not much into tabletop, allthough I usually like roleplay-based stuff. I prefer to do party games instead of week-long campaigns, so maybe that's why I'm not much into Pen & Paper stuff.
I'm totally hooked on Les loups-garous de Thiercelieux, for example. I could play that and similar games for hours and hours.
I also remember when one of my good friends, my dad and I went on vacations and ended up playing a DVD supported version of Clue for an entire day. We just couldn't stop XD
FOR TRADE! (Sig Toralei, Frostina Sprinkles, Bratzillaz Vampelina)

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 07:48:02 AM »
You have great taste in board games! My husband and I love board games and we have sooooo many. Right now our favorites are: Marrying Mr. Darcy, Dominions (we have lots of expansions), Ascension, Arctic Survivor, Royal Palace, Puerto Rico, Pandemic, Flash Point, Elder Sign, Dungeon Dice, Bang! and the list goes on and on. We have a lot of close friends who love to play board games so we keep purchasing them for the many game nights we host.

In the traditional game world I love Rummikub.

I know that feeling, I really do. We got a bed on hydraulic lifts for our linens, so we could convert the linen closet into a board game closet. ^^;

I think the only Dominion expansion we haven't bought yet is the most recent one, because Nightfall actually has replaced it in terms of consistent play of late. Dominion is great for certain friends, but most of the people we play with prefer that aggressive PVP style that comes with Nightfall, and find Dominion's methods a bit too reliant on lucky hand combos rather than strategy.

We've been meaning to try out Bang! too, but haven't gotten to it yet. Same for Elevenses, which I've had recommended to me repeatedly.

I love board games. Especially the ones where you have to combine chance with strategy (like Chess, Abalone, Taju, etc.)
I'm not much into tabletop, allthough I usually like roleplay-based stuff. I prefer to do party games instead of week-long campaigns, so maybe that's why I'm not much into Pen & Paper stuff.
I'm totally hooked on Les loups-garous de Thiercelieux. I could play that and similar games for hours and hours.
I also remember when one of my good friend, my dad and I went on vacations and ended up playing a DVD supported version of Clue for an entire day. We just couldn't stop XD

A day of playing Clue sounds like a good end to a holiday, actually. hahaha

Offline ebmerc

• Champion of Love and Justice
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 07:50:31 AM »
We play a lot of Pen and Paper games as well but we work with ones that are rules light so basically a lot of stuff using the Fate System or Apocalypse World System. I really like Fiasco too since it's a one off game. Tho I will say, the latest edition of Dungeons and Dragons is way better than Fourth Edition for me.

Offline DEStokes

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • MIB Collector
  • Beast Friend Forever After
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 08:33:58 AM »
I love Monopoly and Scrabble.  It's not really a board game, but I also love Scattergories.

Offline mascarah

• Resident Banshee
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 08:44:07 AM »
I love Monopoly and Scrabble.  It's not really a board game, but I also love Scattergories.

YES! I love Scattergories. My most memorable answer is for Souvenir (N was the letter): Nickel-plated Elvis head :lol:

I like to play Imaginiff with family.

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 09:26:59 AM »
My favorite board game is probably Small World. :) The boyfriend and I have a serious love/hate thing going for Konexi, this ridiculous Scrabble/Jenga mash-up that we force everyone to play with us.

We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of his copy of Cthulhu Wars! e.e (I mostly want the bonus figures, so I can use them as decorations. XD)

Offline Ameyal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 10:29:44 AM »
I love board games! Alhought hey tend to end much more vicious than mario party or similars  ^^;
A friend and I bought the Zombies!!! Games and a couple of expansions, but we use kinder surprise figures instead of soldiers(I'm usually Elsa or Spider-man haha)
I don't like monopoly that much, but, like chess, I kind of want some of he special editions because they look impressive.
And card games! (Not exactly board, but totally table) We play magic, yu-gi-oh and some pokemon. And card wars from adventure time
Oh, has anyone tried the LEGO games where you build the board? I once saw them at gamestop, and regret not buying one.

Offline Shahaila

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 12:32:36 PM »
My hubby and I love board games and are actually working on slowly expanding our collection of games that can be played by 2 or more people.  Some of the ones we really enjoy are RuneBound (we have 3 expansions for it, we like painting the game pieces too lol), Caracassone (my personal favorite), Acquire, and for X-mas we bought Ticket to Ride Europe but have not played it yet.  Other board games I enjoy that we own are Careers, Clue FX (with the electronic board), and Scattegories.
"I have no particular talent,
I am passionately inquisitive" Albert Einstein

Offline Melissa

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 01:44:17 PM »
My husband and I have tons of board games, but most are 3+ players and we have no children. Our friends have had game nights and things on occasion but mostly we go out to dinner, movies, or play trivia instead. So just about the only board game we play is Ticket to Ride, although technically we play on the iPad since it has computer characters to play with us- we do own a physical copy of the game too though! ^^;

Offline bscfan82

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Happiness comes from within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 07:50:34 PM »
 I Love Board Games!!!! I am hoping now that we've moved into our new apartment we will be having game nights! First up is Hollywood Game Night, followed by Big Brother the Game!!!! LOL I love all kinds of table top games!!!
I am searching for SDCC Scarah Screams and Hoo Dude, Also in search of SDCC Manny Taur and Iris Clops!

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 08:52:01 PM »
One of my friends hosts a game night pretty frequently and we mostly end up with Cranium or Cards Against Humanity. We're also pretty fond of taboo, outburst, bananagrams, and harry potter uno.  I recently picked up Quelf and Mad Gabs at a yard sale, and I'm looking forward to trying those out! 

We've played some games though that I'd rather not ever play again, apples to apples, rummikub, and battle of the sexes being a few of them.  Blehhh!

Offline bigsamthompson

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 10:30:41 PM »
I love playing Munchkin but I don't get to play very often. On the nerdier side of things, I used to play Heroclix but it's been a while. I live in a small town and don't have any friends here so if I want to play games, I have to drive at least an hour to the nearest city.  :(

Offline batsap

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Creeperific
  • Hooked on a feeling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 10:31:28 AM »
I love boardgames! And especially trying out new ones.
My favourites on the traditional side of things are Scrabble, Monopoly and Clue. More recently I've played The Victorian Gamer, which is kind of cool. And Cards Against Humanity of course.
My partner and I used to play a lot of Advanced HeroQuest, which is kind of like D&D but less hardcore. We wrote a load of our own adventures for it, but haven't played in a while. It's really fun though. I also have a casual interest in the Warhammer table top game.

Offline Scaredevil

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 10:51:32 AM »
Sorry is our favorite, then Scrabble. Need to get the hubs to teach me chess. We have a board, played a few times but it kind of got forgotten in the past couple of years.

Offline Zeowitch

• The other De Nile
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • This is me in all my .........errrrrrrr.....glory?
    • View Profile
    • Notrenlim Phoenix Tradition
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 03:38:37 AM »
Hubby and I love board games. Although he is equally in love with his laptop.
We currently have a standing appointment with another couple to play Mage Wars, once a month. But besides for Mage Wars, we also play Risk Godstorm, Cluedo, Balderdash, Rummicub, Scrabble, Monopoly, Pig Out, Pictionary, 30 seconds and lots more. Did I mention we love board games?  :blink:
Have a Monsteriffic Day!
xxx
Z

Offline SweetScreams

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 04:02:17 AM »
Oh my Ra, you should see my sea of boardgames! XD I'm so addicted! Some of my favorites are Cluedo, Cash'n guns, Blokus, Ticket to ride, Roll thru the ages, coloretto, last cities. I'm also a big fan of cardgames like Munchkin, Spank the monkey and Gloom. This makes me want to collect all arena members for a game night XD we'd have so much fun!

Offline Jibrill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 04:24:53 AM »
My brother and his wife are obsessed with board games. Every time I visit they get me to play their new ones. I think my all-time favourites are The Lord of The Rings (the co-operative one where you all play a bunch of hobbits carrying the ring between them) and Dixit (wonderful, imaginative game that plays on associations of ideas - it's hard to explain in a short way, but it's very creative)

Offline Dludnerad

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 06:59:06 AM »
My favourite boardgame is Villa Paletti.
You have to take pillars from the lower levels, and place them on the upper floors, building the tower higher as you go. It's wonderfully addictive.

Other favourites are Robo Rally, Betrayal at House on the Hill, and Tsuro.
Dead things, Mikey! Dead things!!!