collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 30
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

June 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Author Topic: Customs Materials: Watercolour pencil brand opinions, please!  (Read 767 times)

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
Customs Materials: Watercolour pencil brand opinions, please!
« on: January 17, 2015, 04:32:59 PM »
I've been looking at getting into doing customs (like many of you here on the arena!) and I wondered if I could pick the brains of some of the more experienced custom-makers here!

I have mostly seen people recommend Derwent or Faber Castell so far in tutorials and materials lists. I have some Faber Castells back in Australia, but the colour variety in the packs I've found is less than stellar. Now, while cleaning out my old art supplies at home, I found a tin of practically brand new Prismacolor watercolour pencils. So I got to thinking these might be a good set to use for customising and started looking into that online.

So far, I've found mixed reviews via google. One says that they weren't as heavily pigmented as Derwent's line, another says the Prismacolors are the best she's ever used, a third says she alternates between several brands including all of the above. Other guides I've seen mention that you can use them, but usually add a disclaimer saying that they have not tried them out themselves.

To cut a long story short (too late): what's your experience been with different types of watercolour pencils? Particularly Prismacolor brand versus others.

Offline shindeluxe

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Freaky Fabulous
  • yare yare
    • View Profile
Re: Customs Materials: Watercolour pencil brand opinions, please!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 04:34:20 PM »
i use derwent, they work really well as long as there's good application of MSC :)
shin | 24
jotarokujo@tumblr

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Pet Collector
  • Doll Lover Forever After!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 06:57:11 PM »
I use a 12 pack from Faber Castelle and they work great for me. I ALWAYS use layered color so the color selection limit in the 12-pack doesnt bother me. If you prefer to just use the set-colors that come in the case though you may want to get a 24 or 32 pack.
(Profile Art Drawn By PuffPink)

Offline rosierjay

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 09:05:12 PM »
i like the derwent ink intense ones. they do sell them at micheals, and the normal work with coupons. i know i got my set for 50% off.
that's the route i recommend, but mine came with a condition... well a self inflicted one.
i had to sell 5 customs after i made them to justify it. still haven't sold any....
but i only put them up on the arena... so yeah.

Offline Jibrill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 02:37:25 PM »
Can't say for MH yet, but I use derwent watercolour pencils on my bjd and I know these are safe and lovely to use. If you sharpen them the lines will be precise and you can layer them to get a more intense colour. Derwent Inktense have more permanent pigment, so these might be difficult to remove if a mistake is made. Also, they are bad for resin in the long run - not sure how safe they are on vinyl MH head.