collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 18
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

Poll

How much are you willing to pay for handmade shoes?

I am not willing to buy handmade shoes. Official stuff only.
0 (0%)
Less than $5
3 (10.7%)
$5-$8
11 (39.3%)
$8-$11 for limitedted edition or OOAK shoes
7 (25%)
More than $11 for very beautiful OOAK unique shoes
7 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: December 04, 2014, 10:23:19 AM

Author Topic: Poll: need your opinion on handmade shoes pricing  (Read 1505 times)

Offline TheStripyCat

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Creative Kitty
  • An aspiring doll artist
    • View Profile
    • HeartbeatDolls
Poll: need your opinion on handmade shoes pricing
« on: November 29, 2014, 10:23:19 AM »
Hey, friends! I'm considering price adjustments in my shop (or giving up making shoes for dolls at all) and I need your opinion. It OK if you just vote without explaining. The question is not about my shoes specifically, but about handmade shoes in general. You may choose 2 options.
Thanks for help!

And just a pic of shoe boxes:D I like making them:)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:55:47 AM by TheStripyCat »

Offline kaskurgi

• Monster High Arena
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
    • ...Stuffs & Thingies Sims Blog
Re: Need your opinion on handmade shoes pricing
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 12:19:59 PM »
Personally I like your items. I think that people will splurge on stuff for dolls but with the way they have been releasing dolls lately it's hard for people to fork out a lot of money on accessories. I'd love to get some of your items but I have a list of dolls that I want to get first and they aren't really giving collectors a chance to breath and let our wallets recoup. I chose the $5-8 dollar option personally for shoes or the $5 one mainly because funds are limited. I would love to have more custom shoes to choose from personally but as I said funds are my limiting factor.

Need List | Sales List

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 12:42:16 PM »
I think that I would pay 2-5 USD if they are the stock shoes that normally come with the dolls (and of course the price varies from the line the shoe belongs to).
I will pay a bit more if they are stock shoes but customized (like painted details and such) a bit more (5-8USD or maybe a bit more I guess, it will all depend of the amount of work and the end result
And for handmade it depends of the quality, from 5 to over 11 is really a good description. And I think your shoes are pretty much worth the prices that you have in etsy.

I think that the price starts to be a bit too high when it's equal to what a complete doll actually costs, but also the quality of the work (yours is excellent) is a great factor that can make the custom definitely worth it

Sadly, for me the MH dolls in my country are not cheap so I can't justify buying additional clothes or shoes for them on daily basis, but in turn it will be a good purchase with christmas money, which I am waiting at this time, as I love the one with opposites heel color (one blue with coral, the other coral with blue) that you also have here with in the teaser with boxes.

hope it helps
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Diamond

• Wine cellar goddess
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 01:56:43 PM »
Depends, if your shoes are truly original and not recast then I would be interested especially if you where making them for the "big sister" mold.  If they are recast, I would not buy at all.

Love those shoe boxes, they are super!

Offline Melissa

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 02:04:05 PM »
As someone who's purchased your shoes, I can vouch for the quality, and I would love to buy more... For me, the problem is I don't have a lot of extra funds because of Christmas.

Offline Aery

• Crafty Kitty of Chaos
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • My toy blog
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
The shoes you are selling are all handmade originals with lots of details and obvious time and care put into them.  For me personally, I would absolutely spend more than $11 for the right ooak shoes for a particular custom, or to go with an outfit that I'd made if I didn't have the right ones. 

Unfortunately, the average person doesn't realize how difficult stuff is to make, and they will want to lowball you or get mad that you're charging "so much", but you can't listen to those people.  Etsy might also not be the right place for you, as it seems to have become a site where people look for cheap deals instead of appreciating artist-made items.

Offline skitterbug

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 04:33:23 PM »
I took a look at your etsy shop and while I love the shoes that are there, I think offering some simple and basic shoes in solid colors for a slightly lower price would be a good idea - I know I would like some simple strappy shoes that could go with a bunch of outfits!

Offline BlueChaos

• Crazy Werecat Lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sister Pack
  • Wait...what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 05:31:51 PM »
Honestly, I just know looked at your Etsy shop for the first time. Your shoes are beautiful and your pricing isn't bad at all. I agree with what Skitterbug said, some simple basic shoes for cheaper would probably help your bottom line, not to mention some big sis/little sis shoes as well.

Offline TheStripyCat

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
    • HeartbeatDolls
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »
Thank you, my friends! Your input is really helping! I appreciate your feedback very much :tackleglomp:!

Personally I like your items. I think that people will splurge on stuff for dolls but with the way they have been releasing dolls lately it's hard for people to fork out a lot of money on accessories. I'd love to get some of your items but I have a list of dolls that I want to get first and they aren't really giving collectors a chance to breath and let our wallets recoup. I chose the $5-8 dollar option personally for shoes or the $5 one mainly because funds are limited. I would love to have more custom shoes to choose from personally but as I said funds are my limiting factor.

Thanks for feedback!

Sadly, for me the MH dolls in my country are not cheap so I can't justify buying additional clothes or shoes for them on daily basis, but in turn it will be a good purchase with christmas money, which I am waiting at this time, as I love the one with opposites heel color (one blue with coral, the other coral with blue) that you also have here with in the teaser with boxes.

hope it helps

Thank you for such a high evaluation of my work :blush: I will have a sale somewhen around Christmas ;)(most likely it'll be a coupon code, as it's easier to make than to change prices on all listing).

Depends, if your shoes are truly original and not recast then I would be interested especially if you where making them for the "big sister" mold.  If they are recast, I would not buy at all.

Love those shoe boxes, they are super!

Thanks for complement on boxes :) My shoes are all originals. I disapprove of recasts and it's simply boring to make them. I have this problem: I always want to make something unique and complicated and I wouldn't be excited or proud to steal someone's work. Besides, I only cast platforms and glue fabrics and elastics to them to make shoes look more like real human pieces of clothing. I thought about sculpting whole new shoes and even bought a special kind of polyurethane, that is not that rigid. But I didn't even start it, because after the sculpting is done, simply casting shoes in different colors may be not that fun. May be I'll rethink it to offer new bases for people's experiments with repainting :)

As someone who's purchased your shoes, I can vouch for the quality, and I would love to buy more... For me, the problem is I don't have a lot of extra funds because of Christmas.

Thanks! Yeh, Thanksgiving, then Christmas and New Year... I chose wrong time of the year :drop:

The shoes you are selling are all handmade originals with lots of details and obvious time and care put into them.  For me personally, I would absolutely spend more than $11 for the right ooak shoes for a particular custom, or to go with an outfit that I'd made if I didn't have the right ones. 

Unfortunately, the average person doesn't realize how difficult stuff is to make, and they will want to lowball you or get mad that you're charging "so much", but you can't listen to those people.  Etsy might also not be the right place for you, as it seems to have become a site where people look for cheap deals instead of appreciating artist-made items.

Thanks! I'm happy to know my work looks wellmade. Sometimes when something goes wrong, I have to undo everything, use glue remover and start everything over. I really want the items I make to bring joy to my customers!
Well, if Etsy isn't the right place, than what is :)

skitterbug, BlueChaos,

Thanks for ideas with simplier shoes. I'll try to make some. Solid colors and easier designs will challange me to restrain from decorating and adding and beautifying and making everything stand out, but it can be a very useful experience artistically- and money-wise :biggrin: Making something simple but still attracting is an art of it own.

Offline TheStripyCat

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
    • HeartbeatDolls
Re: Poll: need your opinion on handmade shoes pricing
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 08:11:07 PM »
bump in hope to get as many votes as possible  :biggrin:

Offline TheStripyCat

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
    • HeartbeatDolls
Re: Poll: need your opinion on handmade shoes pricing
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »
A big THANKS to everyone, who voted :) That helped a lot :)