collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 44
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

August 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Author Topic: Let's talk about Toralei.  (Read 4499 times)

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
Let's talk about Toralei.
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:47:32 AM »
Thought it'd be neat to talk about our favorite antagonist, Toralei Stripe.

What do you think of her character?

I rather like her, altho I hate that she seems to now be the only antagonist against the ghouls.  (Where are the twins?  Did they turn against her too?) She also does have somewhat of a sense of right and wrong.  In the fearleading webisodes, at the end of the finals she actually admitted to Cleo that she didn't want to beat her unfairly (via Nefera) and physically hurt others in the process.

Do you think Toralei is appearing in too many playlines these days?

I think so.  I know she's their enemy and all, but she's been in several lines the past year & a half: sports, FFT, Coffin Bean, FDC, Fearleading (with the werecat twins) and now the upcoming GSR.  Is she a big seller? 

In another thread someone suggested the idea of a character who could bug Toralei.  I think that would be cool!  I'm wondering if one of our current student disembody could play that role, or if they'd need to introduce someone new.  In some ways, I think Cleo bugs her, but maybe not as much as she should.  She has potions and things that she can use...anyone remember the webisode where Toralei stole (I think?) one of her potions and by the end, Cleo & her got in a fight and shrunk down to the size of midgets, appearing in MH's adaptation of The Wizard Of Oz?

PS - please feel free to correct me if any of my info is wrong. :)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:52:34 AM by Wuvmykitties »
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline galaxy

• Trade Count: (+88)
  • Sister Pack
  • Jason
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about Toralei.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:59:51 AM »
I do like Toralei as a doll and character. I don't think the twins are against her (they were in multiple backgrounds of BYBY). I think that there are a lot of Toralei dolls. I think from her signature release up until her Coffin Bean release there were only like 3 dolls I think. From there they started using her A LOT. I only wish they made a BYBY Toralei (or at least gave her a new outfit/design) because she was such a big part of the movie. I think having an antagonist for Toralei then going into her and Meowlody/Purrsphone's backgrounds would be great. Even if it's just a websiode.

Offline Jackie Lantern

• Monster High Arena
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Crafter, creator and collector! <3
    • View Profile
    • RinLin's Collection
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 10:03:04 AM »
I absolutely love Toralei!
She's not a completely rotten apple, but as you point out, have a sense of right and wrong. She's funny, but I'd like to see more "frienemies" of the ghouls. :)

Offline whimsiary

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
    • Instagram!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:28:11 AM »
I personally dislike Toralei. She just reminds me of every nasty customer I had when I used to work in service positions. Her voice grates, her actions annoy, and she's just generally so irritating. I know it's petty, but unless they do some kind of amazing deluxe edition with her, I will probably never buy one. I also don't really find her dolls attractive -maybe that's just my dislike of the character in the webisodes and movies leaking over? Idk.

That said, I'm still new to this fandom, and from what I've read on here, Mattel does seem to do characters in bursts, so I guess this is her time to shine?

Sometimes when this place gets kinda empty ~ The sound of the breath fades with the light
I think about the loveless fascination ~ Under the Milky Way tonight

Offline Carrehz

• MIB Signature Toralei
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 11:41:31 AM »
Do you think Toralei is appearing in too many playlines these days?

You can never have too much Toralei. =P

Offline Blayne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 12:17:48 PM »
One thing I don't get is that when her dolls are relaxed and casual she has short hair but as soon as she became more active like a soccer player or a super villain she gets longer hair.

Offline dollcrazed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fearleader
  • So Beguile
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 01:09:33 PM »
I love her and think she's hilarious, but I like diary Toralei a lot more than movie/webisode Toralei lately. She has more personality to me in the diaries (of course that could be said for a lot of characters) and doesn't just come off as "someone there only to be annoying".

formerly known as sweetface

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 01:35:03 PM »
I like her one liners (I think in 13 Wishes she had an epic one that had me laughing for ages, and there's also "Spoiler Alert - We're not friends."), but she's not friends with the main ghouls. Don't put her on /their/ side like in GSR, though we don't know her role - bad guys don't really get dolls, so she's probably with Frankie and Lagoona. Just let her be petty and mean.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:03:40 PM by Morieris »
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »
One thing I don't get is that when her dolls are relaxed and casual she has short hair but as soon as she became more active like a soccer player or a super villain she gets longer hair.
Her doll has long hair in GSR, so does that mean she'll be the villain?

Offline Listie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Frankie Stein Fanatic!
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 01:59:04 PM »
I remember when her only doll was her signature/basic & wishing they made another version of her so badly! And then we got Fearleading (which was basically the same doll, minus the killer outfit) and the incredibly cool Cat Tastrophe. And now we're inundated with werecats! :tora:
(I hope they keep it to the current 5 ghouls, unless they make a male werecat)

Offline QuirkyCat

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 03:32:20 PM »
I love her dolls and characters I know she's mean but come on she makes things alot more interesting and her dolls are sooooo pretty. I'm also wondering what happens to the werecat twins are they still with toralei. We need a movie or more webisodes with toralei what if she has a super dramatic back story now that could be interesting.

Offline Among_the_Stars

• Spooktacular
  • Non coelo tantum, sed et mari suae stellae sunt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 06:18:14 PM »
Thought it'd be neat to talk about our favorite antagonist

Nefera? ;)

I can't stand Toralei as a character, and I have passed on every single one of her dolls, including her sig on multiple occassions. I thought her FFT or GS doll would change my mind since teal is one of my favorite colors, but she's still so low on my list of priorities that I don't see that happening now. I was excited about Cleolei until I saw her in person, and I really only want her FdC doll to complete the set, I might even give her stock to someone else once I get her.  :shrug:

I'm still on the fence about her GSR doll. I'm obsessed with mermaids, but I just dislike her so much. >.<

Offline ebmerc

• Champion of Love and Justice
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 07:05:54 AM »
I'm neutral on her character but I love her dolls. I had all of them at one point but edited down to three. That was a hard, hard day. XD

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 07:44:17 AM »

Nefera? ;)

Well I didn't count Nefera, as she's not allowed on the school grounds, and also just made an appearance in BYBY.  Toralei's been up to more mischief than her.  I do agree she makes things interesting.  One thing I would love to see, is the Werecats with actual speaking lines.  Are they able to speak English?  Judging by their diaries they have a lot to say, and I love their little squabbles with each other. LOL

Offline PuffPink

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
    • PuffPink
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 09:51:49 AM »

Nefera? ;)

Well I didn't count Nefera, as she's not allowed on the school grounds, and also just made an appearance in BYBY.  Toralei's been up to more mischief than her.  I do agree she makes things interesting.  One thing I would love to see, is the Werecats with actual speaking lines.  Are they able to speak English?  Judging by their diaries they have a lot to say, and I love their little squabbles with each other. LOL

They can talk. In one of the fear camp arc episodes they chant something with Toralei and you can hear them talk with her but can't pick out their voices.
I'm 90% they're a play on cat-got-your-tongue.

As for Toralei.
I feel like a lot of people have been wondering what her relationship with the ghouls is. And the best way I can put it is. She's a cat.

The term frenemies applies best to a cat. Frankie can keep giving her chances and she's going to keep being a jerk. Because Toralei's just having fun and doesn't care what happens to them. That's how she has so much fun with them, she doesn't mess with the people she actually cares about like the weretwins.

Her evilness varies writer to writer but the gist of it always felt like she does actually kind of like hanging out with them, but acts like a jerk so people don't hate her for who she is.
If you give someone a reason to reject you, then you can't be rejected for actually trying you know?

That's how I've always interpreted it anyway.
How she acted during that off screen prom arc just confirmed it more for me.

Offline Among_the_Stars

• Spooktacular
  • Non coelo tantum, sed et mari suae stellae sunt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 05:17:05 PM »
As for Toralei.
I feel like a lot of people have been wondering what her relationship with the ghouls is. And the best way I can put it is. She's a cat.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

The term frenemies applies best to a cat. Frankie can keep giving her chances and she's going to keep being a jerk. Because Toralei's just having fun and doesn't care what happens to them. That's how she has so much fun with them, she doesn't mess with the people she actually cares about like the weretwins.

Her evilness varies writer to writer but the gist of it always felt like she does actually kind of like hanging out with them, but acts like a jerk so people don't hate her for who she is.
If you give someone a reason to reject you, then you can't be rejected for actually trying you know?

That's how I've always interpreted it anyway.
How she acted during that off screen prom arc just confirmed it more for me.

For all the criticism it got, that prom event thing is the one thing I've liked Toralei best in. It even got me rooting for her and Jackson to become a canon couple, what a shame it didn't happen.

What you say makes absolute sense, and it might ultimately be the reason why I can't like Toralei: she's a walking episode of 'My Cat from Hell'. XD

Offline tuneful87

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 07:24:31 PM »
I'm not a fan of her character, but I think her signature face sculpt is one of the most beautiful of them all.

Offline crimsondeity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 08:14:15 PM »
When she and the twins first showed up in the webisodes, I hated her. Not just because she was nasty (I enjoy a good villain), but because so early in the franchise, she seemed too contrived. But between the diary, more webisodes and her gorgeous signature doll, I really came to appreciate her.

I'm glad they've started including her more frequently in the doll line; and it's nice to have a "go-to" antagonist. Cleo never really fit the role, but it's perfect for Toralei.

Offline dxgirly

• Pullip Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Cleo & Deuce 2-Pack
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 08:15:41 PM »
I really dislike her character, but I LOVE her dolls. She's the only one I decided to continue collecting every single version of. I love all of the werecats, but she's the prettiest, in my opinion.

Hey! I'm Nikki! <3 Check Out My Youtube Toy Channel, My BJD Channel and My Gaming Channel 

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 02:47:18 AM »
Toralei as a doll is what piqued my interest in Monster High.
Being a cat lover, I was naturally drawn to her with her bright orange colors and those gorgeous markings & stripes.  All of the werecats are among my faves in MH, and (off topic I know) it's good to see they haven't made all the kitty dolls mean.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal