collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 23
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

July 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
[21] 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Author Topic: The random doll/toy photography thread  (Read 77951 times)

Offline galaxy

• Trade Count: (+88)
  • Sister Pack
  • Jason
    • View Profile
Re: The random doll/toy photography thread
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2015, 01:58:55 PM »
Rini is too cute Loona!

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
  • Spread the skelelove! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2015, 02:44:00 AM »
thank you for the compliments! :)

and Zapper, it took me a (by hindsight pretty embarrassingly long) second to realise what happened there. at first I just blinked at the sentence and searched for the - unusual in your posts - grammatical error to be able to understand it XD
:roch: :skel:

Offline tuneful87

• Trade Count: (+29)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2015, 03:12:57 PM »
Here are a few more of my other toys. I have bought about 10 more vinyl kaiju since, but I haven't photographed any of them yet.

Tripus by tuneful87, on Flickr

Tripus by tuneful87, on Flickr

Sabyr by tuneful87, on Flickr

Zynda by tuneful87, on Flickr

Offline Zapper

• Sheep in Werewolf's clothing
  • Monster High Arena
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Monsterista
  • Secretary of Nagriculture
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2015, 10:34:23 AM »
Ah, Tuneful, your Zynda will always have a special place in my heart. After all, this was the photo that made me decide to get one of my own ^^

Here's two more badass ladies:

FOR TRADE! (Sig Toralei, Frostina Sprinkles, Bratzillaz Vampelina)

Offline tuneful87

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2015, 02:15:09 PM »
Ah, Tuneful, your Zynda will always have a special place in my heart. After all, this was the photo that made me decide to get one of my own ^^

Here's two more badass ladies:

Nice! Did you get any of the others? The cheetah is quite fetching. I forget her name though.

Ah, jedi. I ADORED the concept art for Shaak Ti, as seen below. I wish she got the doll she deserves. You might enjoy the concept art on Luminara as well...

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080207013313/starwars/images/2/2b/Togruta_conceptart.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-o-SmeRxkIU8/VLNdiLuLRlI/AAAAAAAAOPE/WbJLhdCafyA/s1600/star_wars_the_art_of_star_wars_episode_ii_071.jpg

Growing up, I found these images of them so inspiring. But the final character designs seemed to be lacking something. The concept art seems to draw inspiration from strong ethnic bases, while the final designs ended up a bit generic looking. At least in my opinion. Sorry, I'm rambling...

Offline Zapper

• Monster High Arena
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2015, 07:00:39 AM »
Did you get any of the others? The cheetah is quite fetching. I forget her name though.

I need to watch my toy budget and the ones I could find all went for the same price as a deluxe MH in Germany (or higher). So I only got Zynda. But I'm glad I got her! She's great. I was eyeing the Sabretoothed Tiger as well, but he was even more expensive.

Ah, jedi. I ADORED the concept art for Shaak Ti, as seen below. I wish she got the doll she deserves. You might enjoy the concept art on Luminara as well...

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080207013313/starwars/images/2/2b/Togruta_conceptart.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-o-SmeRxkIU8/VLNdiLuLRlI/AAAAAAAAOPE/WbJLhdCafyA/s1600/star_wars_the_art_of_star_wars_episode_ii_071.jpg

Growing up, I found these images of them so inspiring. But the final character designs seemed to be lacking something. The concept art seems to draw inspiration from strong ethnic bases, while the final designs ended up a bit generic looking. At least in my opinion. Sorry, I'm rambling...

I'm a big fan of concept art and observing how a design evolves. I liked the originals of Unduli better as well, but I can't say I'm disappointed in the finished designs. I think SW has always been weird about ethnicity. They straight up copied traditional dresses for most of Queen Amidala's robes, but they were very reluctant with other designs. They often miss the mark on what is respectful and what is not. See the mannerisms of JarJar contrasting with all of Shaak Ti's, Unduli's and Offee's actresses being rainbow-colored WoC.

Feel free to "ramble" more! I love discussing character design. I have Black Series Unduli on the way to me :D
I don't like most of Shaak Ti's figs. I'm eyeing the Clone Wars version because almost everything in my humble SW collection is Clone Wars. But she seems to be rare. All the others I like have this "warrior" outfit that exposes 1/3 of her butt and I'm just not here for that.

PS: Since you mentioned the Shaak Ti doll. Here's an interesting article from 2012 that discusses the quality of the female SW dolls:
https://starwarsshrine.wordpress.com/2012/06/16/where-are-the-padme-dolls-and-collectibles/
Tale as old as time. Hopefully Hasbro will deliver when it comes to New Trilogy merchandise.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 07:19:27 AM by Zapper »

Offline tuneful87

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2015, 01:33:17 PM »
I read that article. A shame that 12" Shaak Ti looks so, er, dead in the face. Now an articulated Shaak Ti like THIS would allow me to die happy....

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/assets/products/300096-shaak-ti/lg/300096-shaak-ti-001.jpg

Offline Zapper

• Monster High Arena
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2015, 03:30:41 PM »
I read that article. A shame that 12" Shaak Ti looks so, er, dead in the face. Now an articulated Shaak Ti like THIS would allow me to die happy....

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/assets/products/300096-shaak-ti/lg/300096-shaak-ti-001.jpg

Maybe a very good repaint could salvage the Shaak Ti doll. My biggest issue with her (and Barriss, whom I was interested in) is the lack of feet, though. They both have the G.I. Jane body with torso and ankle articulation - but in the Star Wars girls case the feet were removed and exchanged for pegs that plug into their shoes. When I read that on a SW message board I facepalmed so hard.
This info killed any interest I had in Barriss. Both her and Skaak Ti have rainbow skintones, so there was no way to exchange their bodies for a regular G.I. Jane as well.
A mess.

Anyhow, there is at least some good news on the Togruta front. Adult Ahsoka Tano will receive a 6'' Black Series figure with great sculpting and articulation! She's not Shaak Ti, but she is an adult female Togruta. Maybe you will be into her. Here are some good pics of her prototype:
http://news.toyark.com/2015/04/16/star-wars-black-series-ahsoka-6-inch-rebels-figure-157889

Offline tuneful87

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2015, 03:36:51 PM »
PEGS?! PEGS?!?!?! Just when I thought I'd heard it all. That is absurd.

I have a few 6" figures but not many. I think someday I will need a custom 16" togruta doll! I think Star Wars has an enormous untapped market when it comes to female dolls. Just think of all that they could do....gorgeous alien dolls in alien fashions. *sigh*

Offline Zapper

• Monster High Arena
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2015, 04:07:10 PM »
I think Star Wars has an enormous untapped market when it comes to female dolls. Just think of all that they could do....gorgeous alien dolls in alien fashions. *sigh*

They really need to up their game. Monster High proves that the target audience likes non-human fashion dolls. Honestly, I was surprised there was no Ahsoka doll. She was brought onto the scene to give the young female audience a character to relate to, but they criminally neglected the opportunity to make a bunch of Ahsoka dolls thanks to their stupid doll politics.

Her Universe should look into that. Creating their own doll lines of SW characters.
I would be the first to fund that Kickstarter ;)

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2015, 04:45:39 PM »
Black Series Ahsoka? Heckyeah. I will be waiting for her.

We went to the Star Wars Visions exhibition and they had the most heart-breaking painting called Now My Enemy. It wasn't the most technically sound painting of the exhibition, but one of the few that actually tied into storyline directly (most of the paintings were just portraits done in the style of the old masters, or sublime pre-Raphaelite style scenes of Arcadia. Lovely, but fluffy).

(Also, painting is obviously spoilery, but you can google it and find it on the Star Wars Wookieepedia.)

Offline clonecommander

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fashion Pack
  • Undersized clone commander at your service
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2015, 05:38:59 PM »
Speaking of the Clone Wars Shaak Ti figure....

Here she is in a 'group shot' with my first release Luminara (from 2002), Eli ( the clone pilot) and Alpha Zeta.

As far as I am aware, she is not that rare. You'd probably need to look online for her as the Clone Wars line is no longer running.
Here is Eli and Alpha Zeta on their own, minus the two Jedi. They are both 'customs' as they are both factory heads on different bodies. Alpha Zeta though will eventually get a whole new torso as in my fanfic, he doesn't wear that armor. Eli will most likely be a simple straight-forward repaint-

Here's Eli showing that a pilot, if they put their mind to it, can do things others might not expect-

Got clones? I've got over one hundred... How many do you have?

"I'm not short, I'm compact!"

Offline Zapper

• Monster High Arena
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2015, 08:15:04 AM »
She is so cute! I finally found a decent one on German ebay. Now all I need is a bit of luck !

Great shot! :D
I never really gave a crap about the Troopers. But I've finally caught up on Clone Wars and I must say, this series did a great job on humanizing the clones. I see them differently now.

Offline clonecommander

• Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2015, 04:15:10 PM »
Thanks Zapper! Glad you might be getting a CW Shaak Ti.

Sadly or not, the clones are what got me hooked on Star Wars. I, in some way, could relate to the clones in the Clone Wars.  Possibly because my peers didn't pay much attention to me and kind of walk all over and tell me what to do.

Offline ebmerc

• Champion of Love and Justice
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2015, 08:00:57 AM »
I'm LOVING your Star Wars photos clonecommander!

Offline Tribble79

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Create a Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2015, 03:22:08 PM »
Looking all these pictures.... Keep them coming!
Daphne

I'm not an early bird, I'm not a night owl, I'm some kind of permanently exhausted pigeon!

Offline clonecommander

• Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2015, 01:52:33 PM »
I'm LOVING your Star Wars photos clonecommander!

Thanks! The last photo of Eli is actually not edited in any way. All it took to get him to stay like that was a little sticky-wax and me holding my breath (Not really).

Offline dori86

• Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2015, 03:30:51 AM »

Offline Zapper

• Monster High Arena
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2015, 10:24:42 AM »
:biggrin:

What you gonna do now??? I'm with mommy !!! by Dorothy M, on Flickr

Ha! I love this. Don't mess with Mama ;)
But is it normal that I can't access your flickr page?

Offline Zapper

• Monster High Arena
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2015, 12:44:24 PM »
I need to use this thread to make fun of the new flickr feature of adding automated (and unwanted) tags to your pics. So this photo of mine:

Recently got tagged by flickr with this:

"Hell". Rude :P