collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 15
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

March 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: American Girl Discussion Thread  (Read 6010 times)

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Pet Collector
  • Doll Lover Forever After!
    • View Profile
American Girl Discussion Thread
« on: August 27, 2014, 07:15:58 AM »
Hey, im pretty sure I'm not the only one out there with a soft spot for AG's. This is just a thread to discuss everything American Girl related. So lets start talking!

To start this off: What do you think of the GOTY Isabelle?

Personally she seems like dud to me. In the past there have been awesome GOTY's with new face-molds and things (Jess, Kanani, etc), but Isabelle just seems like your normal girl. Nothing really special about her at all. You could get a MAG with blonde hair and hazel eyes, dress her in Isabelle's outfit and no one would ever know!
(Profile Art Drawn By PuffPink)

Offline Scarisofall

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fearleader
    • View Profile
Re: American Girl Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:16:53 AM »
I had Pleasant Company ag just like me growing up after years of begging. I don't grow up with lots of money so as an adult I'm now thinking of expanding my collection some.

Though I am really disappointed in the lack of diversity in the line especially goty. I'd like more dolls who weren't white and middle class

Offline lightningbee

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:31:45 AM »
Hey, im pretty sure I'm not the only one out there with a soft spot for AG's. This is just a thread to discuss everything American Girl related. So lets start talking!

Personally she seems like dud to me. In the past there have been awesome GOTY's with new face-molds and things (Jess, Kanani, etc), but Isabelle just seems like your normal girl. Nothing really special about her at all. You could get a MAG with blonde hair and hazel eyes, dress her in Isabelle's outfit and no one would ever know!

I agree with dud. I worked at Barnes & Noble at the Mall of America when the American Girl Doll Place did her release and celebration and I just don't see anything, well, new. She's a dancer and that's awesome! But that's it.

I have Kaya and Felicity from when I was a child. I've been out of the AG world for a bit!  :)

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Pet Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 12:02:28 PM »
I agree. They have had some diversity at least. Asian Jess, Hawaiian Kanani, and latina Marisol, but I really want to see a cute black girl for 2016 (next years girl is a confirmed white skinned redhead). I really like AG's AA dolls, some of their molds are so cute!

And for 2017 I'd really like to see a girl who is super rich and then maybe her dads company gets bought out and he gets let go or something? The message could be about the difficulties of not having luxuries and how families (especially in that situation) should stick together no matter what. Then maybe in the end this girl realizes material things dont matter, its whats in the heart that counts? Gosh, now i need to customize my own girl with that back-story XD . I would totally name her Nina XD

Offline Howls-wth-Wolves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Freaky Fabulous
  • Go ghouls!! Hockey ghoul in the house
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 02:02:48 AM »
Yep. I've been a fan since childhood. I have Kaya and am getting a rehomed Kit (who is staying cannon). And I agree more diversity asap. Come on AG get with the program, it's getting old with mostly the same GOY over and over.

Now Beforever, the new rebranding of the historical line I think was a smart move. Giving it a much needed shot in the arm. After all some of the characters have been around for twenty years.

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Pet Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 12:55:02 PM »
Yep. I've been a fan since childhood. I have Kaya and am getting a rehomed Kit (who is staying cannon). And I agree more diversity asap. Come on AG get with the program, it's getting old with mostly the same GOY over and over.

Now Beforever, the new rebranding of the historical line I think was a smart move. Giving it a much needed shot in the arm. After all some of the characters have been around for twenty years.
I agree. We need a Black GOTY and an Asian historical ASAP!

I agree to some point. Kit has always been my favorite historical and I'm on the fence about the new doll. I like the horter hair, but cant decide about the new facemold... And i HATE her new wardrobe. I know its probably what kids want, but come on! Kids during the great depression didnt have elaborate pints and bright colors like that! I MUCH prefer her old wardrobe...

Offline michelle53

• Mistress of Fakies
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • I threw it on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 08:46:31 AM »
My daughters love these dolls, but they're are so expensive.  They each want Isabelle this year for Christmas because she's a dancer like them.  This is going to be a way expensive year  :(
Avatar drawn by Qba016 on DeviantArt

Amazing Thranduil/Jinafire siggy made by the incredible ebmerc

Offline Forsythia

• Bad Box Hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 09:17:17 AM »

Do you collect the modern dolls, or the Pre-Mattel dolls?

What's your opinion on the modern doll's quality? Lately I've been intrigued by their catalogs, but I think the new dolls are a bit too expensive to take a risk on.

My childhood Molly doll and her accessories came from the transition era (1999) and while I'm not an American Girl doll collector, I definitely notice my Molly doll and furniture held up poorly, compared to my sister's early 90's Kirsten set. Molly's furniture was very bright and plastic-y. (Which in hindsight, doesn't seem very accurate for the time period...) I didn't play with my doll all that much (I'll be honest, when I read the books I found Molly to be a somewhat unsympathetic protagonist) and the doll was stored well. However its hair is awful (needs a rewig), and its plastic arms and legs feel soft/thin? Quality wise it just strikes me as not being much different from the generic 18 inch dolls they sell in Target and Walmart.

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Pet Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 11:01:55 AM »

Do you collect the modern dolls, or the Pre-Mattel dolls?

What's your opinion on the modern doll's quality? Lately I've been intrigued by their catalogs, but I think the new dolls are a bit too expensive to take a risk on.

My childhood Molly doll and her accessories came from the transition era (1999) and while I'm not an American Girl doll collector, I definitely notice my Molly doll and furniture held up poorly, compared to my sister's early 90's Kirsten set. Molly's furniture was very bright and plastic-y. (Which in hindsight, doesn't seem very accurate for the time period...) I didn't play with my doll all that much (I'll be honest, when I read the books I found Molly to be a somewhat unsympathetic protagonist) and the doll was stored well. However its hair is awful (needs a rewig), and its plastic arms and legs feel soft/thin? Quality wise it just strikes me as not being much different from the generic 18 inch dolls they sell in Target and Walmart.
I like both. Personally I prefer most everything about the newer dolls though...

Quality control has definitely changed, but actually it was for the better. Pleasant Company was smaller, and for whatever reason they used cheaper alternatives for many things. Mattel, because they are such a big toy company was able to push everything to the best they can be. Most of the items, when they are made of plastic, and highly detailed and of good quality, and most all the furniture is made of either durable plastic, wood, or metal. Also, it sounds like your Molly was a PM (Pre-Mattel). Pleasant Company dolls have lower quality wigs, slightly wider and chunkier bodes, and their vinyl was slightly soft and squishy. The Mattel dolls, however, have higher-quality wigs, slightly thinner bodies and their vinyl is rock-hard in comparison. The only thing people seem to like about the old dolls is that they had soft eyelashes that came in different colors that matched the dolls hair. Mattel dolls have stiff black eyelashes. I actually prefer the new eyelashes though as you can use them to keep the eyes closed on their own, and this is great in creating expressions in stop-motions (which is one of the things I love using them for).

So while the older dolls seem slightly lower quality, people still seem to like them. I don't mind PM dolls, but i do prefer the harder vinyl and better hair of the current ones. Their prices have definitely skyrocketed though. I remember when they were $78 dollars a pop! If you use them regularly though, I think that they are definitely worth the price. I'd encourage you to take the plunge and buy one of the newer ones, if only to compare and see how nice they are :)

Offline lightningbee

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 10:47:45 AM »
I pulled out my Felicity and Kaya to dress up and clean up today. :)

It's so funny, all of the modern day clothes for them I've got are from the 2000's so they look outdated and out of style. XD
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:54:19 PM by lightningbee »

Offline Centaur_Brady

• Vampire Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 12:20:20 AM »
I collected American Girl for many years, but have had to stop buying due to cost.
I love the dolls, but the price of the dolls alone has gone from $90 to $115/120 in the last 5 years or so and I cannot justify that.
One thing I love about AG as a company, is they have wonderful customer service. One time one of the AG holiday outfits bled on my Lanie doll's face. She had a huge ghastly purple stain covering a good bit of her cheek and mouth. American Girl replaced my doll's head for free at their doll hospital and reimbursed me for the cost of the outfit that bled on my doll. Another time I had a Molly doll that had completely turned grey due to age. American Girl completely replaced my doll for free at the AG doll hospital and claimed the doll's vinyl was defective. I was so surprised and the new doll was just perfect.

Offline beccatothemax

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 06:41:58 AM »
I currently have a Molly and a Kirsten that are both Pre-Mattel, and it shows ;)  Kirsten's got a fair bit of Silver-Eye, and Molly is well...Bald!  I have a pullip wig that is sort of standing by for the moment, but I really need to lay the love on them and bring them back to their original glory!  I think Molly was a thrift store find from a friend who then gave her to me as a gift, and Kirsten was one of my Best friend's two girls growing up (the other was Samantha, who I was definitely not getting LOL)

I used to be more up and up with everything happening on this neck of the woods, but the adult collectors themselves really grew to be too much to handle.  Oh well!

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Pet Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 10:39:38 AM »
I currently have a Molly and a Kirsten that are both Pre-Mattel, and it shows ;)  Kirsten's got a fair bit of Silver-Eye, and Molly is well...Bald!  I have a pullip wig that is sort of standing by for the moment, but I really need to lay the love on them and bring them back to their original glory!  I think Molly was a thrift store find from a friend who then gave her to me as a gift, and Kirsten was one of my Best friend's two girls growing up (the other was Samantha, who I was definitely not getting LOL)

I used to be more up and up with everything happening on this neck of the woods, but the adult collectors themselves really grew to be too much to handle.  Oh well!
If you want her fixed, AG fixes silver eye for free. They usually replace silver-eyed dolls' head and send them back free of charge :)

Offline beccatothemax

• Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 01:33:56 PM »

If you want her fixed, AG fixes silver eye for free. They usually replace silver-eyed dolls' head and send them back free of charge :)

I know, but I don't want them to replace her beautiful neck strings with an awful zip tie ;)

Offline Dludnerad

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 12:59:30 PM »
What are the pets like in quality? There's a wolf/dog I like, but am not sure about buying one.
I'd have to get it second hand from ebay and am wondering how durable they are.
Dead things, Mikey! Dead things!!!

Offline Snow Musket

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 02:33:09 PM »
I have a Felicity in my closet.  I am kinda scared to take her out and see how she is holding up.

Offline Katgyrl

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Just a monster and her sewing machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 04:31:42 PM »
I loved AG dolls as a tween, I didn't realize they are owned by Mattel now! No wonder they are so much more expensive! I had an AGOT doll that looked like me as a child, my only doll. I think I spent every dollar I had on outfits for her, and I would drool over the catalog every time I got one. I still have her, I took her out a while back and she still looks good and I have most of her outfits still. I received some dolls from a friend, Addy, Molly, and Kristin, who I'm guessing are all pre-mattel? They came with some of their furniture. I love the historical dolls, the new GOTY concept is a little strange to me, I guess because the historical dolls were fun in that they taught you about that era of history. One of my daughter's friends just got Isabel for her birthday and when I saw it I thought it was just one of the make-your-own dolls! She looks exactly like my childhood doll, lol. I didn't notice about the quality difference, now I'm curious. I would love to get my two daughters into AG, but the prices are SO high I can't afford to at the moment. We just got a winter catalog and it was so fun to look through it and see what is all different and how my girls were ooing and aahing over the dolls. I'm curious about the new pets too, I've got an original coconut whose body is a big stiff chunk. The new ones don't look quite as cute to me but it would be fun to have a pet more poseable.

Offline beccatothemax

• Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 06:16:09 PM »
The price definitely always deterred me (and my parents) from getting one when I was more in the target demographic, but nowadays, I love that there are so many 18 inch girls to choose from!  It seems like the big three are always coming up with new things for their lines, and I have definitely bought a few budget sets from Wal-Mart and the like to dress my girls up in!

Offline Katgyrl

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Just a monster and her sewing machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 12:05:01 AM »
Target has their line, which the dolls I don't think are anything special, but some of the accessories are really cute! They had a baby pony in stores the other day I was so tempted to buy, just because it was so adorable. Their shoes went on sale a while back and they had some really cute ones. I guess I'm kind of a purist, though, because I have a hard time imagining putting the budget stuff on my AG doll. :P It will probably not be so hard for me to buy budget when my daughters decide to get into them. ;)

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Pet Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 02:51:28 PM »
Well actually it was around 1999 when Mattel bought Pleasant Company out, so theyve been in control for years now. And the GOTY dolls have been around since the early 2000's (I want to say 2001, but i think i might be wrong...)

I know, but I don't want them to replace her beautiful neck strings with an awful zip tie ;)
If you place a sticky note on the doll itself asking for the dolls neck string to be left alone they will leave them like that :) One of my friends had to send one in and the sticky note trick (learned from an AG board) worked for her :)

I have a Felicity in my closet.  I am kinda scared to take her out and see how she is holding up.
Felicity is one of my favorites! I dont have one (she is retired and I havent tracked down a decently priced one yet) but am looking to get one in the future. Her eyes are so pretty!!! :D