collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 23
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

September 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
[15] 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30

Author Topic: Pet peeves...  (Read 1329 times)

Offline lovelysmooty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fearleader
  • Wonky dolls? I gots 'em in spades!
    • View Profile
Pet peeves...
« on: July 04, 2014, 09:23:47 AM »
One of my biggest pet peeves is when younger people, or people my age, call me "Hun","Honey,""Sweetie","Doll","Kid", etc.
I have a new coworker who is 4 years my junior, she's 18 and I'm 22. I really do like this girl, hard working, smart...BUT, she is always calling me one of those stupid patronizing pet names. She even does it to my 54 year old boss *eye twitch*
I know they aren't trying to be rude, I guess it's supposed to be a southern thing, but it just annoys me.
For whatever reason though, I like it when older people do it. Especially old ladies. It isn't disrespectful when they do it for whatever reason, my brain rationalizes.

I don't mean to offend anyone if they do this. I know you mean no harm. This is meant as a fun topic, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
So, what is your biggest pet peeves?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:27:21 AM by lovelysmooty »

Offline Attercop

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
    • Katsetta.com
Re: Pet peeves...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 11:24:43 AM »
When collectors use the term "Grail" for the next item they want that is still mass produced and/or in stores/ easy to find. 

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Team Briar Beauty
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 12:01:42 PM »
I used to be really flattered when people used "sweetie" type names. Now I've come to realize people do that when they can't be bothered to learn and/or remember my name.

I guess my biggest pet peeve is the upward inflection sort of people who sound like they're always asking and never making a declarative statement. I will straight ask people if they are asking me or telling me because I know so many people who speak this way that I can't tell anymore.

I also dislike the word "literally" because it is obnoxiously overused lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:drac: Looking to buy MIB Sweet Screams Draculaura :drac:

Offline Among_the_Stars

• Spooktacular
  • Non coelo tantum, sed et mari suae stellae sunt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 12:07:26 PM »
When people try to start conversations with me despite the fact that I'm wearing headphones.  Please let me listen to my music in peace.

Offline Maddie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Creative Kitty
  • "Too weird to live, too rare to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 01:04:48 PM »
One of my biggest pet peeves is when younger people, or people my age, call me "Hun","Honey,""Sweetie","Doll","Kid", etc.
I have a new coworker who is 4 years my junior, she's 18 and I'm 22. I really do like this girl, hard working, smart...BUT, she is always calling me one of those stupid patronizing pet names. She even does it to my 54 year old boss *eye twitch*
I know they aren't trying to be rude, I guess it's supposed to be a southern thing, but it just annoys me.
For whatever reason though, I like it when older people do it. Especially old ladies. It isn't disrespectful when they do it for whatever reason, my brain rationalizes.

I don't mean to offend anyone if they do this. I know you mean no harm. This is meant as a fun topic, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Yeah, it's a southern thing. I say it to everyone out of habit. I wouldn't worry about offending everyone. It doesn't bother me that you don't like it. :biggrin:

Lemme see collector wise I don't really have pet peeves. I just think somethings are weird like it seems pretty common for people to say "I'm so broke this week. I couldn't pay for this...but look I got five new dolls(ponies)." I think that's silly and bad money management, but I wouldn't call it a pet peeve.

Hmm in real life I don't have very many of them, mostly because if I think someone is being annoying I just tell them. Then it's taken care of.

I post a lot from my phone, sorry for weird typos

Formerly Madhatterda
Spring Swap wishlist

Offline shadowdreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Create a Monster
  • ~Royally Rebel Monster!~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 01:53:17 PM »

*raises hand* It's a southern thing.....I call EVERYONE hun, sweetie, baby, and things like that. It is just my way of being extra nice and personal, just like I will say Yes Madam, yes sir, and so on and so forth. I do have to remember that not EVERYONE understands and likes the pet names....so I do have a few friends that I have to keep in mind not to say it too,but they also understand it's habit and it is just me trying to be nice.

My biggest pet peeves is people with long finger nails who like scratching themselves. Like...the sound of fingernails scratching against blue jeans make my teeth clinch, and my brain just shuts off.  I also hate it when   people do not watch their children....I LOVE kids..I want to be a teacher...but oh man....when I am in walmart and a little kid is screaming and running around while the parent is off in neverneverland talking to who knows who on the phone...it bothers me.
Royals,Rebels, Monsters, and Ghouls! ~https://www.facebook.com/shadowashleytoyreviews~https://www.youtube.com/user/booksmusicgodislife~

I HAVE SHOPKINS TO TRADE:Message me,and we will see if we can swap. Please US only..can't afford to do out of the country trades right now.

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 02:01:21 PM »
I like to call everyone that I like "dear" or something similar as a term of endearment, and since I'm super shy, I only feel comfortable using it with people I already know pretty well actually, so I do in fact know their name. ;) As such if I run into anyone else who does the same thing, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, though I mostly encounter older ladies (where I, too, think it is a very endearing thing they do - I just feel inexplicably special when someone calls me sweetie or honey, even if logically I know they don't really mean anything by it), and I can definitely understand how you'd be a little put off by someone younger than you doing the same thing, especially with people much older than her. I mostly do it with my friends, thus people around my own age; I can't imagine feeling comfortable enough with my boss to risk them seeing me as disrespectful by trying it.

My pet peeve is when things lack consistency. For instance, at my job, several of us have to write the same type of reports, and many people before us have done so as well. If our institution has decided on a policy for, say, how we should capitalize certain words, the format of the title, and punctuation style, I expect every other report to conform to these rules - I just want them to look consistent with mine, and everyone elses! But so often I come across those done by other people, and it seems like they've just done something at random! If it's by someone who isn't with us anymore I will sometimes literally go in and fix their formatting for them, it bothers me that much. :sheepish: (For reference, they're not just like, internal memos that no one but other employees will ever see, they're public documents we put on the web for our patrons to read. So this is one way we're presenting ourselves to the world. Honestly though, it would still bug me, even if they were entirely internal. XD I feel like it's such a small thing to find out what the rule is and stick to it!)

Offline mochi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Fearleader
  • BJD-MH-EAH-PN fanatic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 02:28:05 PM »
Ahh, I don't think it's strange.  While I don't mind "hun" etc in general, I would feel weird about being called a name like that by someone younger than me too.

Oh the topic of names, it really squicks me out when people are writing about their significant other and quoting a conversation they had and every other line is "Babe" this and "Babe" that.  Sure, I get that they may call each other that irl and that's fine, but in writing (especially every line) it just looks ridiculous to me.

I guess in collecting my pet peeve would be when a person or group acts like everyone must have every doll or that buying a new doll as soon as it's on the shelf is just such an obvious thing that the people who don't do it are somehow inferior.  One of the MH/EAH Facebook groups I like is pretty good, but the way they word their "are you going to buy this?" questions are so...... just........ sickly pushy and consumerist.  It's not "what do you think of this doll" it's like, "when are you going to get it?" "do you have it yet?" "is your collection complete now?" etc.  I don't think the mentality of "give me give me more more want want MUST HAVE NOW" should be pushed so strongly... especially on younger people x_x.

(To be clear I think it's totally fine to be a completionist!!!  It's when people act like everyone should be that bothers me).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:30:54 PM by mochi »
Wanted: Raven's collars, Black Boots

::
:: Current dolls for Sale ::

Offline dxgirly

• Pullip Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Cleo & Deuce 2-Pack
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 02:46:54 PM »
I call almost everyone "hun" and I'm from Massachusetts.  ^^;

As for my own pet peeves, most of them had to do with working retail, and since I don't do that anymore, I don't have many left.

I suppose mine now would be people that think they know everything, and people that argue with others just for the sake of arguing.

Hey! I'm Nikki! <3 Check Out My Youtube Toy Channel, My BJD Channel and My Gaming Channel 

Offline catwater

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
  • Call me Claire.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 05:37:52 PM »
When people chew loudly. I can't stand it!! It puts me off of my own food, and sometimes I actually feel sick to my stomach just listening to them chew!!   :annoyed:  Ugh.... It makes me feel bad just to think about it!
InstagramCustoms Thread ♦  EtsyTumblr!Flickr

Turquoise Overload by Claire Atwater, on Flickr

Offline Among_the_Stars

• Spooktacular
  • Non coelo tantum, sed et mari suae stellae sunt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 05:53:45 PM »
When people chew loudly. I can't stand it!! It puts me off of my own food, and sometimes I actually feel sick to my stomach just listening to them chew!!   :annoyed:  Ugh.... It makes me feel bad just to think about it!

Ugh! I hate that too, but you know what really drives me insane? When people SIP loudly. I don't care how hot your tea/coffee/soup is, that's just rude!  :annoyed:

Offline Zapper

• Sheep in Werewolf's clothing
  • Monster High Arena
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Monsterista
  • Secretary of Nagriculture
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 06:05:23 PM »
Heh, I was so confused by people in Oklahoma saying "sweetie", "hun" and "Missy" to me AT THE AIRPORT. It was male airport staff and I felt really degraded. The guys travelling with me weren't called pet names by anyone.
I agree that it's different when said by old ladies. It reminds me of my granny, maybe that's why. I also like it when my friends use the German equivalent for "sweetie/hun" on me. It has something personal.

Which brings me to another peeve of mine: I hate it when I hear partners/lovers call each other cutesy names like "snookums" or "honeybunny". It fills me with secondhand embarrasment because I don't do it myself and many German pet names just sound really disgustingly sweet. The only one I could accept is "Schatz", which is very common and boring. It translates to "treasure/precious" but the meaning is about the same as the English "hun" or "darling". Everyone is "Schatz" or "Schatzi" if you want to indicate you love them. Like your children, random cute children, cute animals, your best friend - if you're a woman, haha.

Another one is that I don't like it when people make angry sounds or huffs if they want to indicate they want to walk past you. What ever happened to "would you please step aside a bit?"
Once someone goes "mpfff!" or "tss!!" behind me I'm not letting them walk past me on purpose.
FOR TRADE! (Sig Toralei, Frostina Sprinkles, Bratzillaz Vampelina)

Offline desiree.lari

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 07:25:50 PM »
Well first I should say that I'm probably slight hypochondriac, but i truly believe I have misophonia. Everyday human sounds tend to make me sooo angry I just want to start screaming. Like when my mom sits next to me eating a bowl of cereal while watching tv...i can't even focus on the tv..just tthinking about it makes me cringe..i don't like hearing people cough, blow their nose, "cracking" knuckles or popping any other joint, intentional or not, and probably the worst of all: I hate hearing people breathe...not just heavy breathing,..just. .breathing. and that extends past people. .it bugs me when animals pant too.
I don't quite think this is a pet peeve, but i also don't like skin to skin contact. Touching that is more Iintimate isn't so bad, but if we're sitting in a car together you skin better not be touching mine..it makes me squimish..i have so many pet peeves they probably all fall under one big umbrella term. I think many of my pet peeves wouldn't exist if i wasn't working in customer service though.

Offline Vines For Venus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »
My biggest pet peeve is the sound of other people brushing their teeth. My own tooth brushing is fine though. Sometimes my hubby will brush his teeth with me in the room just to be "funny" and it makes me wan't to tear my face off.
 The KitKat crunching tv comercials are just as bad. That sound haunts my dreams.

Offline Diamond

• Wine cellar goddess
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 08:55:27 PM »
Sorry but for me anyone saying it (sweetie, dear, hun) to anyone else other then a S.O. needs a good smack upside the head.  I am in my fiftieths and hate when folks do it to me and I would never do it to anyone, to me it is just not respectful or nice.

That and folks automatically assuming because my daughter has short hair and a slight build she is a boy.  She has a very famine face and build but we get it even at a Girl Scout cookies booth sale in her Girl Scout vest!

Offline Knightfire

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
    • Growing Up is for Quitters
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »
I think my biggest pet peeve is when people interrupt/talk over you. I mean, is what you have to say SO world-ending that you cannot wait for me to finish my sentence? No? Then just wait, please! I've gotten to where, instead of pausing to let them speak and then finishing my thought after, I'll just go ahead and keep talking while they're trying to talk over me. The looks of annoyance/confusion are almost worth it. Almost. I always want to follow up by saying "Do you see how annoying that is? Why do YOU do it?" :mad:

Offline Zapper

• Sheep in Werewolf's clothing
  • Monster High Arena
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Monsterista
  • Secretary of Nagriculture
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 09:14:17 PM »
we get it even at a Girl Scout cookies booth sale in her Girl Scout vest!

It's really sad to hear that it's 2014 and yet people still can't handle a girl with short hair.
FOR TRADE! (Sig Toralei, Frostina Sprinkles, Bratzillaz Vampelina)

Offline dxgirly

• Pullip Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Cleo & Deuce 2-Pack
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 01:54:25 PM »
I hope no one ever thinks I'm trying to be disrespectful when I say "hun." I've always done it for more of the opposite reason, to make a conversation more personable, and showing that I care about a person. And I've done it so long, that I do it without thinking now. I've never had anyone react negatively towards me because of it. I'm sorry if I've ever offended any of you by it; that was definitely not my intention.  :(

Hey! I'm Nikki! <3 Check Out My Youtube Toy Channel, My BJD Channel and My Gaming Channel 

Offline Knightfire

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
    • Growing Up is for Quitters
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 02:07:53 PM »
I hope no one ever thinks I'm trying to be disrespectful when I say "hun." I've always done it for more of the opposite reason, to make a conversation more personable, and showing that I care about a person. And I've done it so long, that I do it without thinking now. I've never had anyone react negatively towards me because of it. I'm sorry if I've ever offended any of you by it; that was definitely not my intention.  :(
I think hun/sweetie/etc. aren't in the least bit insulting if you know the person at least a little bit. It seems like it's when it's total strangers that people get defensive and creeped by it.  :biggrin:

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 09:28:30 PM »
For me it's not the words but the inflection.  I live in the south, so "honey, sweetie, baby, darlin'" is something I hear on the daily, and I don't mind it at all, everyone does it.  But when you use it with a voice that sounds like you're speaking to a two year old?  Eeeekk.