collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

September 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 [23]
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: customizing question  (Read 1610 times)

Offline faunabay

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
customizing question
« on: June 14, 2013, 08:52:13 PM »
Alright so I'm doing my first reroot.  Half way through and I'm finally getting the hang of it.   ;D  But......the sealer I used on top of the paint is peeling off a bit.  So what exact kind of sealer are you all using?  Most sealers I've seen are spray not liquid that can be painted on.  So do you all use a spray sealer or what?
Keep Calm and Believe in Fairies

Offline Frankie Stein

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Creative Kitty
  • 358/2 Days
    • View Profile
Re: customizing question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:41:41 PM »
i'm sure a lot of members will say testors dullcote or mr super clear... Both spray sealers :D I hope you'll be showing your monster when shes all done :)

Offline Angellove

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 02:13:54 PM »
I ordered mr super clear still waiting for it to come in the mail.

Offline colorscapesart

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
  • Abbey Fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 08:27:07 PM »
I swear by Testor Dullcote.  Awesome stuff.
There can never be too many large, blue, rainbow-haired monsters!

Offline faunabay

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 10:37:49 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I was trying to stay away from the spray sealer because thought it would be difficult to keep it only where I wanted it.  How do you keep it out of the hair when you do faceup repaints? 

Frankie......I'll definitely post pics when I'm done.  I bought Vertefae's lot of dolls and she included this custom she started.  She had done a great job of repainting the faceup but without sealing it  :( (which I didn't realize and it began flaking off as I rerooted).   So once I get the hair done I'm going to have to try my hand at repainting the face again too.   She also had put too much hair into the part area so the scalf split.  Dakashy (AcademicSquirrel) gave me tips for what to use to glue it back together.  All in all this is turning into a great learning experience with customizing.  LOL

Offline Refuse to Dance

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Isolt
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 05:36:13 PM »
Dakashy had a custom Ghoulia turned cat girl but the eyes went tacky because the person who did them used MSC.
My Ghouls: Princess Isabella, Queen Mio, Mairin, Dione, Céline, Ruin, Adabella, Smet, Lala, Morgance, Frankie, Caterine, Sophiane,Thaddeus, Clawd, Deuce, Roch,Abbey, Nixie, Cupid, Skelita,Serigala, Clawdeen, Lagoona, Miette, Mignonette, Eloïne, Operetta, Robecca, Conwenna, Venus,Ghoulia, Lolita,Nephthys, Circe, Isolt, Ilona, Persephone, Hecate, Kesare, Triveni and more

Offline faunabay

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 07:40:54 PM »
So I'm working on a second reroot while I wait for my Mother to repaint the first's faceup.  If she'll ever get around to doing it.   :P 
Anyway...  lol  I did get some testor dullcote but now it's doing the same thing.  Rubbing (peeling)  off as I reroot.   :(  I only did one coat.  Should I have done more? 

Offline SilkSpun

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Vampire Slayer
  • *wiggles*
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 11:07:37 PM »
How do you keep it out of the hair when you do faceup repaints? 
Wrap up the hair in cling wrap and masking tape! ;) I can double-vouch for Testors Dullcote, I love it. It dries super fast and is 100% matte and very very clear (Mr Super Clear can have a tiny bit of an opaque tinge when it's used over dark colors). Just make sure you only use it outside!

Offline Diamond

• Wine cellar goddess
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 07:33:21 AM »
So I'm working on a second reroot while I wait for my Mother to repaint the first's faceup.  If she'll ever get around to doing it.   :P 
Anyway...  lol  I did get some testor dullcote but now it's doing the same thing.  Rubbing (peeling)  off as I reroot.   :(  I only did one coat.  Should I have done more? 
Yes, it takes several coats to get a good seal.  Each should be thin though to keep it from getting tacky and not drying properly.  Also if the original artist did not prep underneath their work right, no seal in the world is gonna keep it there if you are handling. 

Best of luck with your doll.

Offline faunabay

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 10:15:58 AM »
Actually the paint that's peeling off is the color I put on the scalp to match the hair.  I did only do one coat so I'll do more coats in the future.  As for it being tacky though.......  I sprayed it maybe a month ago and while I was working on it last night it still felt tacky????