collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 14
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

August 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[25] 26 27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Has anybody ever made fun of you for collecting dolls?  (Read 6516 times)

Offline G-Fan219

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
  • WANTS SIGNATURE JACKSON SO BADDD D:
    • View Profile
Has anybody ever made fun of you for collecting dolls?
« on: March 23, 2014, 12:50:11 PM »
I was thinking that if anybody wanted to vent about something like this, they can do it here.
This is something I face everyday. I never really liked dolls when I was a kid, my parents bought me Bratz dolls but I didn't really like them. When I found MH dolls I was surprised by them. I only thought that I would get one, but then I fell for a couple others and soon was collecting.
My father, at first, told me "Whatever makes you happy.", but now he asks me when i'm going to stop collecting. My mom at least just says "I really don't know what you see in them." But doesn't bother me about them. My grandma calls them "rinky-dinks".
Luckily my friends think that they are cool, except for an ex-friend of mine who calls them "whore dolls".
A couple of kids at my school laughed at one of my friends when she gave me her Moxie Teenz dolls. "Aww, are you a wittle girl? Haha!" *Pounds head against wall*
My MH collection: https://mh-merch.com/checklist/223/
My favorite ghouls: :clawdeen::abbey::frankie:

Offline SweetScreams

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
Re: Has anybody ever made fun of you for collecting dolls?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 12:58:48 PM »
Ignore the rude people people at school they probably have a stack of toys themself at home ;)
Nobody have made fun of my collection yet, if somebody tried I'd just ignored them or gave them a salty comment about their hobbies (which usually is drinking or smoking).

Offline Maddie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Creative Kitty
  • "Too weird to live, too rare to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »
You probably have deal with this more than a lot of members since you're younger and still have the high school peers. I found in general people aren't so bad about it when you're a grown adult. At least I haven't had any issues with it. My family likes the outfits I make for them. I don't actively buy them anymore but when I did pick them up in stores I always had parents telling me what their kid wanted and having me help them find it. Lmao

Nah, it's not so bad for me

Sweet scoops: It always seems everyone wants to use the "at least dolls aren't drinking or smoking".  I realize you're jut using it as a defense in that example, but I admit I don't find buying massive amounts of toys healthy for someone either.
I post a lot from my phone, sorry for weird typos

Formerly Madhatterda
Spring Swap wishlist

Offline catwater

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
  • Call me Claire.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 01:34:16 PM »
Hahaha, not enough people know about my doll collecting for me to be made fun of, but I definitely get judgy looks and snide comments from my parents. My dad is usually pretty cool about it, and sometimes he'll try and show some sort of interest in a custom I'm doing or a new doll I've bought, but he usually just ignores it. My mom is a bit more passive-aggressive and always asks "where are you getting the money for this?" and "shouldn't you be doing something more productive?"
I was really lucky to find a friend in college who actually collects BJDs herself, and she thought MH/EAH was super cool, but doesn't collect them personally. It was nice to know that I wasn't really the only person who collects dolls at my age. I haven't exactly shared my doll collecting with other people, but I'm sure there'd be a few people who'd be happy to make fun of me for it.
Luckily there are enough supportive people here on the arena so I don't feel quite as awkward about it anymore. I mean, I still feel pretty weird walking into Target and heading straight for the MH aisle, but less weird. (Sometimes I even see other adult collectors who are trying as hard as I am to just get what they want and skulk back out of the store, lol)
Honestly, as hypocritical as it sounds coming from me, I say ignore the people who make fun of you, since your hobbies and interests are part of what makes you unique and special, and be grateful for the people in your life who are supportive of your collection.
InstagramCustoms Thread ♦  EtsyTumblr!Flickr

Turquoise Overload by Claire Atwater, on Flickr

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+26)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 01:47:06 PM »
My parents don't know that I collect them. I know for sure they wouldn't understand and think it's a waste of money (they've felt that way about toys since I was a child).

My friends don't care and think they are neat, especially after my boyfriend takes them on a tour of each character ("see this one she's the daughter of the swamp monster" lol). I was surprised how into them he is on my behalf, he has his favourites and is always the first to show them off to new people that come over.
Looking for SDCC Frankie!!!

Offline rayedelsol

• EAH Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
    • rayedelsol.com
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »
I think places like the Arena really help me. I'm the teacher who collects, and I don't care who knows. Some of the other teachers/adults at my school have tried to give me that sideways glance, but I've politely reminded them that they collect things, too. It is really popular (at my school) for the women to collect a certain brand of jewelry (Sorrelli), and I politely remind them that they've got drawers full of it, as well as closets of shoes and purses. Just because we collect different things doesn't mean one person's collection or hobbies are any better than others.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:16:23 PM by rayedelsol »

Offline nyanpotato

• Cerise Crazy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pet Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 02:14:22 PM »
Not yet. But then again, not many people know about it. The ones who do either don't care or collect dolls too.
Nyan♥

Offline dxgirly

• Pullip Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Cleo & Deuce 2-Pack
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 03:39:21 PM »
Yes, quite a few times... but not by my friends and family. It's only ever come from random jerks on facebook that think they have the right to judge my life, even though they literally only know me there from playing facebook games, and we've never spoken (or typed) a single sentence to one another otherwise.  :annoyed:

Hey! I'm Nikki! <3 Check Out My Youtube Toy Channel, My BJD Channel and My Gaming Channel 

Offline michelle53

• Mistress of Fakies
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • I threw it on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 04:56:12 PM »
Some people just don't know when to keep their dumb opinions to themselves.  Your family should be grateful that you're biggest vice if collecting dolls and not something much, much worse!!  Next time, remind anyone rude enough to make ignorant comments that you pay your bills, taxes and are an upstanding member of society and that anything that brings you happiness is YOUR business....not theirs.

You always have us sweetie, and we would never judge you!!   :hugs:
Avatar drawn by Qba016 on DeviantArt

Amazing Thranduil/Jinafire siggy made by the incredible ebmerc

Offline DEStokes

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • MIB Collector
  • Beast Friend Forever After
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »
Has anybody ever made fun of me for collecting dolls?  Not more than once. 

* DEStokes cracks knuckles

Seriously though, no one except my Mom knows I collect MH and EAH.  It's the same for MLP, Care Bears, Sylvanian Families.  She actually enjoys the MLPs and dolls, too.

Offline snowblossum

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 06:31:22 PM »
Sorry to hear that some people get a
Rough time About their collections. For a long time I did not tell anyone but now I do not care. Also I Don't tell or show my collections to just everyone. Somethings I never share outside my hilubby, kids and close family. Most of my friends think it is fun thing  for collecting.

Offline lovelysmooty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fearleader
  • Wonky dolls? I gots 'em in spades!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 06:57:58 PM »
My parents don't know that I collect them. I know for sure they wouldn't understand and think it's a waste of money (they've felt that way about toys since I was a child).

My friends don't care and think they are neat, especially after my boyfriend takes them on a tour of each character ("see this one she's the daughter of the swamp monster" lol). I was surprised how into them he is on my behalf, he has his favourites and is always the first to show them off to new people that come over.

Aww jealous! I wish I could get my husband to be atleast mildly interested lol. He does know a few of their names and refers to any dolls with predominant pink color schemes as "Rochelles". Guess that's good enough! :)

Offline mochi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Fearleader
  • BJD-MH-EAH-PN fanatic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 12:11:05 AM »
Sometimes my boyfriend teases me by calling me the equivalent of "nerdy doll super fan" but he also supports me just as much.

If people at school give you or anyone grief about it, as hard as it is, I'd say ignore it.  In a few years, these people won't matter.  Second, it's not your duty to please them with your preferences.  Be confident and happy in what you like.  The only one who looks silly is the person who is low enough to be doing the teasing.
Wanted: Raven's collars, Black Boots

::
:: Current dolls for Sale ::

Offline G-Fan219

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
  • WANTS SIGNATURE JACKSON SO BADDD D:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 12:22:13 AM »
Thank you to everybody who commented~

My dad bothers me the most because he keeps asking "When are you going to stop collecting?" But really, he's in the same situation I am.
He collects model trains. He's got hundreds of them, and they take up a lot more space than my dolls do. And we buy them for almost the same reasons. He enjoys collecting model trains just like I love collecting MH dolls. He loves running his trains, I love posing and taking pictures of my MH dolls. He paints and customizes model trains, I want to try to make an MH custom. I don't see much of a difference here.
My MH collection: https://mh-merch.com/checklist/223/
My favorite ghouls: :clawdeen::abbey::frankie:

Offline Zeowitch

• The other De Nile
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • This is me in all my .........errrrrrrr.....glory?
    • View Profile
    • Notrenlim Phoenix Tradition
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 01:23:04 AM »
I don't have a mom anymore. She passed away almost 7 years ago. But she would have loved them. I don't know my dad at all. My olderst sister and her fiance do tend to crack a joke every now and then.
My mother in law loves them as well and my father in law just shakes his head. But is very quick to give ideas on how to build things for them. hehehehehehehehehehe.
some of my friends think that it is weird and they will playfully tease me. Thankfully I have never been 'normal', by the standards of society. So just about everyone knows to expect the unexpected from me. Up until age 25 I was very straight. Homophobic even. SO this is the first time that I have dolls in my life. People generally seem to be okay with it. My BGF, Xsjana even made the rule  that I have to introduce her to every new doll that I get. hahahahahahaha.
Have a Monsteriffic Day!
xxx
Z

Offline Cleoglyphics

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Desert Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 07:21:50 AM »
My sister teases me about it, but she tries to find any reason to bring me down or mock me especially in front of her friends so I've just learnt how to drown her out.

My dad thinks most things are a waste of money, but he knows I save and that I'm quite stingy with my cash (an unfortunate trait I get from him. Dad says it's the Scottish heritage :P) so he's not too phased about it. Mom likes how creative they are (especially their shoes!) and has always wanted me to play with dolls since I was little, but has found my collection daunting at times.

My best friend, to paraphrase her, "If you're going to collect dolls, you at least picked the best dolls to collect". She's not into them, but does admire them for their creativity (and definitely has favourites like Honey, FCA Operetta, Robecca, SwS Lala and Elisabat). I've even bought dolls for one of my good gamer friends (He has Sig Lala, FCA Oppie, a Lagoona and an Abbey and really wants a Robecca, SwS Lala and Elisabat) 

The most positive reaction I've got is from my paternal grandmother. Who always wants to see my collection when she comes over and tells me how she's impressed and says that she enjoys seeing me so happy about something. Normally grandma is very vocal if something displeases her being the iron matriarch she is, so her being vocal about something that please her is always a good sign.
Sugar, Spice and everything Feist!

Offline Zapper

• Sheep in Werewolf's clothing
  • Monster High Arena
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Monsterista
  • Secretary of Nagriculture
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 02:24:29 PM »
Sweet scoops: It always seems everyone wants to use the "at least dolls aren't drinking or smoking".  I realize you're jut using it as a defense in that example, but I admit I don't find buying massive amounts of toys healthy for someone either.

Are you talking about hoarding?
With all those shows nowadays that showcase certain people hoarding or being messy I think a lot of people quickly jump to conclusions about collecting. I'm pretty sure SweetScoops isn't endorsing hoarding or using rent and food money for dolls.

My grandma has a big collection of Hummel figurines. My dad has a big collection of CDs because he is a Jazz and Soul fan. He spends about 30 on music every month, that's more than I spend on MH.
So far I haven't seen anyone who died from buying collectibles. But I have known several people who died from alcoholism or excessive smoking habits. I think the defense is always valid. The point being that people can have way worse habits than collecting something. That many habits or hobbies are seen as "cool" or normal when in fact they can be harmful.

@Topic: I have never been made fun of. Mostly because I'm no longer in school and the people at my uni are all artsy types, many of them collect something themselves. At my uni alone I have met two MLP collectors by chance and a bunch of fig/model or doll collectors. Especially the Illustration and Product Design people are prone to be toy collectors *g*

A lot of people seem to find their own hobbies normal and others weird. I don't believe that there are people who don't have some "unusual" interest, habit or hobby. You just need to point it out to them and watch them lose all their arguments against you ;)
FOR TRADE! (Sig Toralei, Frostina Sprinkles, Bratzillaz Vampelina)

Offline Oceania

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 02:48:45 PM »
Mt mum is usually more supportive of the hobbies as I started collecting MLP earlier last year and she thought it was cute. She accepted that I bought myself a MH but couldn't understand what MH meant to me, especially Skelita. So that was a little hard for me.

And I don't even bother telling my father. If he knows he treats me differently, like I'm stupider, he talks down to me.

I don't mention my collection to others as I'm nervous of being rejected.  I understand where  you're coming from. I'm high school age myself, and I learned in middle school (when I was pretty aloud with manga and anime) that people aren't very okay with that kind of stuff even if they have some at home themselves. I wish I could offer better advice. I find it easier to let myself enjoy and just not talk about it much at school or with others. :/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:50:24 PM by Oceania »

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 03:51:13 PM »
I don't really share with acquaintances that I collect dolls. But I don't share much about myself to begin with.   :)

I do have lots of hobbies.  Reading, writing, website creation, drawing, painting, felting, running and so on.  Dolls are just a new addition and my closest friends weren't surprised at all.  Most of them have some sort of collection of their own.  My husband actually has a penguin collection although I'm it's biggest contributor.  :P Another friend collects comics and it's not a modest collection at all... so over all I feel safe with my friends. 

Offline CharmingVenus

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 04:23:37 PM »
None of my friends even know I collect dolls......