collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 17
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Skeleton Story~!  (Read 229 times)

Offline Oceania

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
Skeleton Story~!
« on: March 21, 2014, 05:53:56 PM »
So today I got my very first MH...Skelita~!

And its kinda funny and silly at the same time, but I got a little emotional as I was unwrapping her and taking the plastic and the little tie off her. To get a big piece of plastic off around her waist, I had to take her clothing off and it was just amazing to see the detail, the bones and ribcage and everything that Mattel had done for her and then I got a little emotional...
I hope it's okay to share this, if not, then a mod please correct me or erase the following text.
Almost three full years back, I was diagnosed with anorexia. I was placed in rehab and I was exposed to many things a little thirteen/to/fourteen year old should not be exposed to. While in rehab I was also sexually harassed by another patient, making both that and the experience as a whole very traumatizing. Seeing bones of any sort, people bones or even the skeletal bones of a doll just is very hard for me. I'd picked her for her interesting design not realizing how hard this would be for me.

I sound very silly and I'm sorry. I just wanted to share this little story and how I didn't realize how much Skelita would come to mean to me.
But anyway, this year I'm going back to school and it's been very hard for me. I have anxiety and I hate it. I'm having a hard time accepting my body and the weight I have gained through recovery and then binging.
Seeing her bones and her body just brought all the feelings forward I guess. But it felt good to cry and think about it? Does that make sense?
Thank you for letting me share this story with you all though  :redface: It feels really nice to write it all out!

Anyway, I'll have some pictures up soon. Her hair is an absolute mess ;n; and she has this tiny little piece of plastic sticking out of her head that I think I'll take a tweezer to. But she's so gorgeous ;n; And she's my first MH! I hope to do some photo shoots soon.
Would anyone have any ideas how to make her joints a little more moveable? They're very stiff :C
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:58:47 PM by Oceania »

Offline Melissa

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
Re: Skeleton Story~!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »
What a touching story. I'm sorry you've had to go through so much, but experiences like those will help you to ultimately become a stronger and more resilient person.

As far as Skelita's joints go, just gently bend them and eventually they will loosen. I call it Dolly Physical Therapy.

Offline catwater

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
  • Call me Claire.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 12:19:53 PM »
I'm so sorry you've had such a rough time of it. That's so much to go through, but it seems like you really have come out on the other side a better person for it.
And that's not weird at all. It sounds sort of like you were confronted with one of your big triggers, but you were able to move past it. Sometimes it's really helpful to experience those negative feelings while knowing that they are temporary. For me, I have really bad anxiety, but when I get worked up, I've been trying to separate myself from the negative thoughts and feelings and just experience it, without getting caught up in the endless cycle of harmful thoughts.
The way I'm saying it doesn't really make sense, but I get where you're coming from about it feeling good to be able to cry and think about it. It's a lot better to just experience that kind of negativity and let it wash over you than to bottle it up until it becomes too much to bear.
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm really glad that, even though it was hard, seeing Skelita actually helped you out.

She's such an interesting doll, be sure you post pictures for us! (:
InstagramCustoms Thread ♦  EtsyTumblr!Flickr

Turquoise Overload by Claire Atwater, on Flickr

Offline Oceania

• Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 02:19:32 PM »
Melissa & catwater, wow you two are so lovely, thank you so much. reading your comments made me tear up a little. thank you so much for your thoughts and for sharing your own tousles. and I'm so happy you're doing so much better with your anxiety, catwater. And thank youfor your tips Melissa, I'm trying them out now, and Skelita's hair's looking boo-tiful~!

Offline Zapper

• Sheep in Werewolf's clothing
  • Monster High Arena
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Monsterista
  • Secretary of Nagriculture
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 05:58:53 PM »
Please don't ever apologize for sharing this about yourself. You are a very strong person to be talking about this and you can be proud of yourself.

When Skelita first came out some parent groups were hating on her because they insisted she glamourized anorexia . All while probably having no clue what anorexia really is and why people start suffering from it.
I'm happy she means so much to you and you can "use" her in such a way. Skeli is also such a sweet character, I hope you'll never stop enjoying her :)
FOR TRADE! (Sig Toralei, Frostina Sprinkles, Bratzillaz Vampelina)

Offline Oceania

• Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 07:28:58 AM »
Oh thank you Zapper ;n; that means a lot. And I'm so happy Mattel went ahead with her anyway, I think she's an awesome teaching tool.

Also, Melissa. Sorry, thank you for the tips of her dolly therapy. I was reading two threads at once about dolly hair glue. Whoops sorry about that!

Offline Zeowitch

• The other De Nile
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • This is me in all my .........errrrrrrr.....glory?
    • View Profile
    • Notrenlim Phoenix Tradition
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 02:32:12 AM »
Your story is very touching and reading about it makes me realise how much the MH means to me. This weekend (last night to be exact) I did another photo shoot of one of my dolls (Oppie to be exact). I have not taken photo's in quite some time. It made me calm. Before I knew it, an hour and 30minutes had passed. My husband said: "You really are enjoying this aren't you?" And yes I do. It is a creative outlet for me.
I can understand completely how you feel Oceania
Have a Monsteriffic Day!
xxx
Z

Offline Oceania

• Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 06:11:00 AM »
I'm so happy MH makes you feel so awesome Zeowitch~!
It sounds silly, but little things, and I'm even learning this now, make all the difference in big things. Even a little plastic doll can make you smile during a bad day just because it's smiling or you like the clothes, etc! I'm so thankful for MH & mlp for allowing me to have fun with toys again~! Something I haven't been able to do since I was very little.

Offline Zeowitch

• The other De Nile
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • This is me in all my .........errrrrrrr.....glory?
    • View Profile
    • Notrenlim Phoenix Tradition
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 06:15:24 AM »
 :hugs:
Have a Monsteriffic Day!
xxx
Z

Offline FangedPisces

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 10:30:41 AM »
That doesn't sound silly or unreasonable at all. When I was fifteen, I was institutionalized for attempted suicide. At the clinic, they always gave us disposable cereal packets as a bedtime snack. Eventually I got out of there (two weeks later) but one afternoon, I poured myself some cereal and I started crying because it reminded me too much of the hospital.

Stuff sticks with people, especially traumatic stuff. It's how human brains work. It's supposed to be a way for keeping us out of danger. You saw Skelita and your brain went "visible bones. What happened last time we were around visible bones? The hospital. Bad place. Bad things happen around visible bones. We don't like this. I'm going to send out the chemicals that let us know this is uncomfortable so we can remove ourselves from this situation."

The good thing is that you can eventually make your brain move Skelita into another category that's associated with good feelings. It might take a little while, and you can't just force yourself to stop just like that, but at least you know what your mind is associating her with so you can at least remind yourself that you're not in that bad place anymore.
♫~♫~I need an o~ce~an~♫~♫

Desperately Seeking Gothic Girl (Dollar General) slimbox dolls (non-monster version). Willing to pay for your time as well as shipping! Please PM me?