collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 53
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Poll

Your opinion on EAH?

Love everything about it!
56 (65.9%)
I like the dolls and show but won't buy any.
4 (4.7%)
I like the message of the show but don't like the dolls.
14 (16.5%)
I don't really like any of it but I will buy the dolls for my collection.
5 (5.9%)
I am not a fan of anything,It's not my cup of tea. (Maddie joke not intended)
5 (5.9%)
I hate everything about it.
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: EAH your honest opinion?  (Read 14245 times)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
Re: EAH your honest opinion?
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2013, 11:11:33 AM »
It is really strange how Maddie's head doesn't seem nearly as large as it used to.  But then, I thought MH dolls looked odd at first with their stick bodies, "big" heads and jutting jaws.  I thought Spectra was ugly until I saw photos of her here.  So I don't know... they have faces only a mother could love?

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2013, 04:36:01 PM »
I saw both Maddie and Raven in person for the first time on Saturday at Justice, and didn't "click" with them like I hoped. :( I haven't' received my Apple in the mail yet (she was supposed to come in today), so I hope it was only the Rebels I didn't care too much for. 
I think with this line, I'll like their outfits/stock more than the dolls themselves. Save for the three girls I planned on getting, if I buy future dolls, it would be for their outfits.

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2013, 06:30:32 AM »
I have several issues with EAH. Most of them have to do with the characterization and the design of the dolls. The idea of "make your own happily ever after" is a good message, I am not disputing that, but there are some issues I have with the rest of the conceot.

My biggest issues are with Apple. She just wants to get married and get her prince at the expense of Raven. Raven will have to have an unhappily ever after for her to have a happy one and Apple seems to be more than fine with this. She even pushes Raven into being evil. Apple seems more like a villain to me than the hero and it appears that she is the hero, as well as Raven. She is portrayed as being good, but comes off as selfish and rather vapid, with no consideration for others around her. I would actually love it if she turned out to be evil. It would give her at least some character.

It also seems to me like EAH's happily ever after and all the royals who want it, seems to push the women are happy as long as they are married image, but I could be over interpreting here. EAH's message is a bit less appealing than MH's because of all the traditional "girly" values that it seems to promote, but this couls again be just me, since I have issues with the whole all girls want to be princesses image that many toy lines seem to promote.

I would have preferrd to have more racial diversity in the dolls. They seem to be very blonde, and white, with only the Pinochio girl being darker. Racial and cultural diversity is one of the best things in MH, so I would have hoped that EAH would follow suite. I also find it bizarre that Apple is blonde, since the Snow White tale specifies that her hair is black. Disney has trademarked their Snow White, but as far as I know the tale itselfd is public domain.

The dolls are alright and I can't say much about them before I have one in my hand. I would have preferred to have different facial molds for different characters, but otherwise I don't have issues with them.

I am giving the series a chance to develop and maybe some of the more dubius elements (to me) will fade, change or be explained in time, we will see.

Offline rayedelsol

• EAH Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
    • rayedelsol.com
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2013, 07:21:54 AM »
Warning: Spoilers ahead
I think you have several points very wrong about Apple. Apple is quoted as saying [on multiple occasions] that her life isn't just about getting rescued. She is supposed to be the future queen, and although all that bad stuff has to happen to her, her real duties are to rule over her kingdom. She takes that role very seriously! She is studious in her schooling, isn't seeking out a relationship, etc. Yes, she wants Raven to fulfill her role, but Apple has been planning/studying/preparing to lead a country for her entire life. To her, the poisoning of the apple bit is just a part in the story. She's been raised to put her kingdom first.

I haven't seen anyone promoting the "marriage first" and "every princess needs a prince" part. On the contrary, the only mention of it is "This is HIGH SCHOOL! We have happily ever after to be together."

Also, if you read the new stories that just came out, Apple being blonde is a big deal. She's really embarrassed of it. It is a huge source of pain for her, because Snow White is supposed to have ebony hair. It's one of those "Apple isn't perfect" moments that really help define her character.

Offline faunabay

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2013, 08:05:35 AM »
rayedelsol has explained Apple quite well.  As for "very blonde and white" if you take a look at the characters in the background they are quite racially diverse.  And while not all are some seem to be quite detailed so will probably be released as dolls (hopefully  :P )
Keep Calm and Believe in Fairies

Offline aellos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Wonky Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2013, 09:44:54 AM »
And I think we're forgetting that two out of four of the dolls aren't super white. Both Maddy's and Briar's dolls are brown.
Sure, the annoying ambiguously brown, but still brown.

"If you love them and they love you, they will always find you."

Offline WhiteHeather

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr: Teatime with Maddie
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2013, 11:44:19 PM »
And I think we're forgetting that two out of four of the dolls aren't super white. Both Maddy's and Briar's dolls are brown.

I wouldn't consider Maddie's doll "brown" at all.  She's just a darker shade than Apple and Raven's super pale skin, but she definitely looks Caucasian to me.  Unless she looks much darker in person than in pictures.  Her character in the show is definitely white as well.  Briar, though is definitely supposed to be not-white.  I imagine her as Hispanic, but since she's ambiguously brown, as you put it, she could easily be another race as well.

Offline aellos

• Wonky Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2013, 09:42:35 AM »

I wouldn't consider Maddie's doll "brown" at all.  She's just a darker shade than Apple and Raven's super pale skin, but she definitely looks Caucasian to me.  Unless she looks much darker in person than in pictures.  Her character in the show is definitely white as well.  Briar, though is definitely supposed to be not-white.  I imagine her as Hispanic, but since she's ambiguously brown, as you put it, she could easily be another race as well.

Her doll is quite brown, and looked to be the same brown as Briar in the store. Hah, and yeah her character in the show is much paler!

"If you love them and they love you, they will always find you."

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2013, 02:56:17 PM »
First, oops, I hope I didn't post spoilers in my first post. I completely forgot to put a spoiler alett on it. In case I spoiled someone I am sorry  :blush:

Raydelsol: thank you for your analysis on Apple. It is quite interresting. I have only watched the webisodes so my interpretation is based on them. I hope I didn't offend you with my post. Based on how Apple is presented on the few webisodes there are, she comes across as shallow. She is nice and friendly, But to me it seems she takes her happy ending as a given and assumes that Raven will provide it. I can be completely wrong about her, but currently that is how she comes across to me.

When I talk about Apple's blondness I mean the design choice to make her blonde. I do understand the idea of attempting to add something new to a familiar character, but I do wonder whether the thought is that blonde dolls sell better.

I also understood that the reason she isn't dating Daring is because when she gets her happily ever after, she'll get him too.

As for the background characters, they are quite diverse, which is great, but for now that's just what they are, background characters. They might become dolls later,  but for now the whole 1st wave is white. I didn't know Briar is supposed to be non white. I was wondering about it but thought that maybe she is supposed to be tan. So I agree that she is ambiguously brown.

I hope my opinion doesn't upset ir offend anyone and if it does, I apologize.

Offline Zapper

• Sheep in Werewolf's clothing
  • Monster High Arena
  • Monsterista
  • Secretary of Nagriculture
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2013, 03:18:08 PM »
Nana, have you read their diaries? You can read them all at the EAH wiki.
I'm sure you will get a different view on the characters if you do :)

As for pushing the stereotype that the #1 goal for women should be finding a man and marrying him - well, sadly that's just a staple of the fairy tales most of them are based on. Both Snow White and Briar Rose are metaphors for a woman being unable to live without a man by her side (she's dead, then a guy comes and kisses her back into life, marries her immediatly after that). It's pretty misogynistic.

But EAH has a nice take on it. For eaxample, both Apple and Briar don't want to date anyone right now. Daring Charming asked Apple out once, but Apple stresses in her diary that she considers him to be just her friend. Also, Briar does realize that her destiny is f'ed up.
But the Royals believe that they and all other characters from their respective tales will disapppear if they don't pledge to follow in their parents' footsteps. So does Briar. But she seems interested in the concept of choice.

That's what the plot will be all about. The Royals finding out that they've been told lies.
If Cleo De Nile has shown us anything, then that Mattel's "mean girls" don't stay "mean" for long and have a change of heart at one point.

I'm just really miffed that just like MH, EAH's canon is made up of diaries + webisodes + books and they're not all the same, concerning the backstories and characterizations. That way it's hard to talk about the characters. They're always written a bit different depending on what material you read/see.

As for Apple being blonde: from a character design perspective - because Raven's hair is dark. They're both protagonists, contrasts, opposites, etc.
Also blonde = light, black = darkness. Good and Evil.
Furthermore, in the very first incarnation of Snow White you can find, Snow White is not dark haired. She's blonde. Because again, blonde = light = good. It's just a typical fairy tale archetype.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:24:19 PM by Zapper »
FOR TRADE! (Sig Toralei, Frostina Sprinkles, Bratzillaz Vampelina)

Offline missbonbon

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2013, 07:11:48 PM »
Well, I was not going to get into these - like I need another thing to take up space and money! But then when I headed to Justice to see if they had any Monster High Dolls I wanted, I saw them. Fell in love with Maddie INSTANTLY! love her dress, her hair color, her shoes - i just had to get her. At the time they had buy one get one free (which really does make it to a normal priced doll - hate that about Justice!) so I ended up coming home with all four.

Watched the webisodes and adored them as well.

I wish (for my pocketbook sake) I hadn't gotten into them, but I am.

I finally opened the dolls up - Not sure if I regret it or not yet. Was thinking maybe I'd hold onto them for a bit in their box incase I changed my mind.

Monster High is still my favorite, but these dolls are pretty - have always loved fairy tale stories (grew up with Disney) :-) Excited to see what other characters they will release

Offline elonni

• One-Eyed Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2013, 02:40:09 AM »
I agree with Nana-Rena that from the webisodes' perspective, Apple comes across as quite shallow and selfish, at least now in the beginning. However, after finally getting around to reading the diaries, Apple has become more likable. I still think she is quite spoiled - she is the girl who has everything going for her, the girl who grew up knowing she would rule a kingdom, marry Charming and be "the fairest one of all". But, as Zapper said, Cleo was mean in the beginning, but then changed. And Cleo is one of my favorites in the webisodes.

It didn't seem like Apple spared much thought as to how others would feel about their own destinies before, since she had her own brilliant path to follow. She now doesn't seem to understand why Raven doesn't want to be the Evil Queen, but I expect that as the plot develops, she will start seeing things differently. I think it is a very cool twist that the Headmaster Grimm is tricking her into believing she can't change her destiny and that the students are being told lies.

I am very interested to find out what happens next!

Oh, yeah... Briar and Maddie's dolls might be a little more tanned, but I definitely wouldn't consider them brown. They are white to me, even though they are not "white" white. Maybe it's just my Brazilian perspective.

Offline Refuse to Dance

• MIB Signature Toralei
  • Isolt
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2013, 11:30:29 AM »
I happen to love Maddie, but in her first pic, she did look too dark.
My Ghouls: Princess Isabella, Queen Mio, Mairin, Dione, CÚline, Ruin, Adabella, Smet, Lala, Morgance, Frankie, Caterine, Sophiane,Thaddeus, Clawd, Deuce, Roch,Abbey, Nixie, Cupid, Skelita,Serigala, Clawdeen, Lagoona, Miette, Mignonette, Elo´ne, Operetta, Robecca, Conwenna, Venus,Ghoulia, Lolita,Nephthys, Circe, Isolt, Ilona, Persephone, Hecate, Kesare, Triveni and more

Offline WhiteHeather

• Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr: Teatime with Maddie
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2013, 02:58:34 PM »
Oh, yeah... Briar and Maddie's dolls might be a little more tanned, but I definitely wouldn't consider them brown. They are white to me, even though they are not "white" white. Maybe it's just my Brazilian perspective.

Maddie is definitely white.  She's not super pale like Raven and Apple, but I can't look at her doll and consider her anything other than Caucasian.  I consider Briar Hispanic, but she could easily just have a nice tan too.  She is certainly not very dark even if she is darker than the rest of them.

Offline Flutterswirl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creeperific
  • Gallifrey Falls No More
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2013, 09:39:02 PM »
Well, I was all excited when I went into Justice today to see these dolls. Seeing photos of them here had gotten me pumped up for them. However, once I got a good look at them, I'm deciding to pass on the line. They are very cute, and the stock clothes are to die-for; however for me I just couldn't get past their faces. As sweet as they look, for me the face was just too round for the body mold. So instead I used my BOGO to pick up some MH ghouls.  Maybe I'll get EAH stock at some point for my MH, but will be passing on the dolls now that I've seen them first-hand.

Glad it's not just me. Adore the art, think the o/fs and accessories are marvelous, may definitely find a use for the bodies...but I just couldn't accept the faces. So, Music Festival Venus came home with me instead. But at least I now know there's a Justice within driving distance. :)
just visiting this planet!
(Phl. 3:20)
>^..^<

Offline Cleoglyphics

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Desert Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2013, 03:05:33 PM »
Okay EAH, you got me.

I ended up watching the webisodes and was taken aback to how likeable all the characters were. Especially Maddie, who is probably my favorite character.

And you know? The dolls grew on me too. Mainly in how awesome those dresses are.

So disregard my last post, I am a fan.
Sugar, Spice and everything Feist!

Offline Karin_h

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »
Mmhh I'm still not sure, I'm with the "Their faces are weird/round/the same" group. The first thing I noticed was that they all looked the same (face wise).  About the characters, Maddie is awesome and if I get a doll it will probably be her. Briar's tights are cool, and Cerise (The Red Riding Hood girl, her name is Cerise right? ) just makes me mad, it's like seeing a copy of Red from Once Upon a Time and it's just so aarrg, it makes me angry, everything was going well until I saw her. :/

Another thing that bugs me is the Apple/Charming thing that's going on, sure they are not a couple yet but it makes it pretty clear that they will be a couple in the future which creeps me out since aren't they suppose to be siblings? Is there more than one "Prince Charming" out there? Does that mean half the princes are named "Someone Charming"?

I love Cupid thought, I hope her doll is as pretty as her art.

Offline Zombelina

• Pastel Gothgoyle Princess
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Spooktacular
  • Scarily Ever After
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2013, 01:38:01 PM »
Another thing that bugs me is the Apple/Charming thing that's going on, sure they are not a couple yet but it makes it pretty clear that they will be a couple in the future which creeps me out since aren't they suppose to be siblings? Is there more than one "Prince Charming" out there? Does that mean half the princes are named "Someone Charming"?

Apple and Daring aren't siblings, no. There are numerous Prince Charmings :)

Offline Karin_h

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2013, 05:10:22 PM »

Apple and Daring aren't siblings, no. There are numerous Prince Charmings :)

Thank gods xD So he shall be the son of Prince Charming #3 and Apple's dad will be Prince Charming #1, they really need new names xD