collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 59
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

November 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28
29 30

Author Topic: Monster High Collector's Dolls Coming Soon? *CONFIRMED!*  (Read 15934 times)

Offline StarlightFrost

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High Collector's Dolls Coming Soon? *CONFIRMED!*
« Reply #160 on: November 08, 2020, 10:12:24 PM »
Links and any idea if the price will be different with this release would be definitely helpful to know in advance. Hope the scalpers don't get them all this time.
I have decided that I Like the Pennywise but the Shining Twins are pretty lackluster, which is a bummer. Saves me money at the very least though.

Offline StarlightFrost

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High Collector\'s Dolls Coming Soon? *CONFIRMED!*
« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2020, 05:08:31 AM »
Do we have any confirmation for Walmart selling these at some point too?

Post Merge: November 13, 2020, 12:14:57 PM

Managed to pre-order two Pennywise from amazon. Seems like the pre-order availability was staggered? I got one ordered at 7ish am this morning and the next at 9am this morning, in EST for reference. Not if its still that way currently.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 12:14:57 PM by StarlightFrost »

Offline Dosneko

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2020, 12:24:30 PM »
Ah man, I keep missing the preorder times. I caught the tail end of one but it wouldn't let me put the preorder into my cart....  :(

Offline StarlightFrost

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2020, 12:57:52 PM »
Ah man, I keep missing the preorder times. I caught the tail end of one but it wouldn't let me put the preorder into my cart....  :(

Check back at the start of every hour, that worked for me.
This is such a stressful mess of a release and there's like no official communication cos of the scalpers I guess?
I hope there can be way better going forward cos this is an incredibly unfun way to collect.

Offline lilyflower332

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2020, 08:41:34 PM »
Part of me is tempted to buy them, purely for the sake of good sales looking good and hopefully leading to new and better MH products....

(negative post warning lol)
but i also really really hate a lot of things happening with this release, i think the horror mashup was iffy to start with, a good idea but easy to do wrong...Pennywise is at least a monstrous clown, with a very distinct look to him.
I really wanna know who thought the Shining twins was a good idea. They weren't needed, they feel weird. I dont mind reusing face sculpts but they look so *obviously* like Twyla that it bothers me, and It the movie was at least relevant slightly more recently than the Shining. I don't get it at all.
Not to mention the design overall being so lackluster, they added a hairclip to it. Aaaa. i wanted new MH but not like this.

Offline Manster Guy

• Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2020, 05:48:10 AM »
Yup, my sentiments exactly.
I do think there's a reason it says on their boxes " from the makers of Monster High" as if these are not canon MH releases.

Even if I wanted to buy them there's no sign of a UK release as yet anyway.
There are many of shades of grey between black and white.

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2020, 08:05:03 AM »
someone posted on the MLP Arena that Mattel have been referring to these as "Skullector Dolls, from the creators of Monster High", not "Monster High Skullector" or w/e, so it looks like they really are a separate line.

I think the Shining twins are an odd choice, too. Okay, they don't appeal to me, whatever, but even setting that aside... Penny makes sense, It seems to be pretty hot right now, it's an iconic monster, etc. The Shining twins are kinda iconic but I didn't think they were on the same level as Pennywise? If that makes sense? I'm not surprised they're part of the line, but I AM surprised they chose to kick off the line with them. It feels like there's more iconic horror movie characters they could've started out with.

On the other hand, maybe the twins' fairly simple designs is why they were picked, maybe they wanted to play it safe and leave the more elaborate/costly/etc designs until they were sure if this line would be a hit or not? Hmm.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2020, 11:16:36 AM »
I think the Shining twins are an odd choice, too. Okay, they don't appeal to me, whatever, but even setting that aside... Penny makes sense, It seems to be pretty hot right now, it's an iconic monster, etc. The Shining twins are kinda iconic but I didn't think they were on the same level as Pennywise? If that makes sense? I'm not surprised they're part of the line, but I AM surprised they chose to kick off the line with them. It feels like there's more iconic horror movie characters they could've started out with.

Personally I'm surprised they went with straight up horror for the first ones. I would have kinda expected them to go with something a bit more campy for the first ones like Rocky Horror or Beetlejuice or the Addams Family.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline perivam3

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2020, 06:32:01 PM »
Ultimately, the decision to go with the Grady Twins appears to more of a rights issue than anything else. Mattel and Warner Bros have had a long relationship, and WB owns the rights to both the It and Shining films. Considering these are the first new Monster High-related releases in years and they're definitely "testing the water" for a potential future, it makes sense they'd want to use properties readily available to them.

Add in the fact they're both from Stephen King works, and they work well as a thematic pair.

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Pet Collector
  • Doll Lover Forever After!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 17, 2020, 01:52:23 PM »
Ultimately, the decision to go with the Grady Twins appears to more of a rights issue than anything else. Mattel and Warner Bros have had a long relationship, and WB owns the rights to both the It and Shining films. Considering these are the first new Monster High-related releases in years and they're definitely "testing the water" for a potential future, it makes sense they'd want to use properties readily available to them.

Add in the fact they're both from Stephen King works, and they work well as a thematic pair.
Thats exactly how I saw it. They have a good rights-sharing relationship with WB, so it was just easier to find another "mosterish" character that WB owned the rights to after brokering for the rights to IT. It also covers their butts if the monster trend had exhausted itself. If the Pennywise doll sold terribly, then they could at least market the Shining Twins as cute dolls separate from the monster theme.
(Profile Art Drawn By PuffPink)

Offline Wardah

• Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2020, 05:34:46 PM »

Thats exactly how I saw it. They have a good rights-sharing relationship with WB, so it was just easier to find another "mosterish" character that WB owned the rights to after brokering for the rights to IT.

Out of those 3 I mentioned at least WB owns Beetlejuice. So they could have done IT and Beetlejuice. Wouldn't have matched as well thematically but still would have worked imho.
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline RevengeSeeker

• Fangtastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2020, 06:00:01 AM »
People keep saying “if it sells well”.

The dolls are nowhere to be found and there’s no word on it. I was able to pre-order Pennywise from Amazon but the twins were NEVER available there.

What was the point of Mattel sending these dolls to YouTube doll influencers when the dolls aren’t even available to buy anywhere?

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2020, 07:51:34 AM »
I feel like the whole Coronavirus thing skronked up Mattel's plans somewhat. Perhaps if the world hadn't gone to hell this year, things would've been different? Who knows.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I agree they're handling the release of these dolls terribly, but still.

Offline Wardah

• Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2020, 10:21:41 AM »
Yeah these were probably planned for SDCC. Lots of people managed to snag them when they have gone up, unfortunately many of them were scalpers, which also often happens with the Disney Limited Edition dolls.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal