collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 25
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

September 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 [29] 30

Author Topic: Do you think there will ever be a G2 EAH?  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
Do you think there will ever be a G2 EAH?
« on: February 20, 2020, 02:29:20 AM »
MH got a G2 reboot, and ... it didn't go well. EAH was not as popular, but still went strong and had 4/5 movies (depending on how you count them) to its name. The planned EAH/MH crossover movie was scrapped, but work was put into 3D'ing EAH characters.

With all that ... do you think EAH will ever see a reboot like MH did? What do you think they'd have to change or make better? What DON'T you want to see them do? Or do you think the idea of princesses is just too overwhelmed by Disney?

There have been attempts at knock-offs of the idea, like the line that also brought about Once Upon a Zombies (RIP  :cry: )

Avatar Credit : Wookylee | Sig Credit : Seahawk270

MLP Gameloft Friend Code : 52b33c6 | MLPArena Account : Lady Frostbite

Offline QuirkyCat

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think there will ever be a G2 EAH?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 06:24:11 AM »
I don't think so. Disney dominates the princess market and eah was good but I don't feel like it took off to where Mattel wanted it to go.

Offline Aery

• Crafty Kitty of Chaos
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • My toy blog
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 10:16:53 AM »
Yeah, I don't think EAH performed well enough for long enough that they'll bring it back anytime soon.  Who knows that the future may bring though, maybe we'll see the line revived in a number of years when the people who played with them are of a nostalgic age, or maybe fairy tales will have another pop culture heyday.

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 06:29:53 PM »
I don't expect we'll see a reboot. Like you said, MH G2 wasn't so successful so I doubt they'd even try it with EAH. I think pressure from Disney likely had a lot to do with the line being shut down, with competion from Descendants and Disney Princess. Even if we did get G2 it would probably incude a huge style change, which I likely wouldn't roll with.
What I would love to see is a more teen/adult collector driven, high quality, high detail EAH line with associated media in a very fantasy focused style with an intriguing story behind it. That's not the direction I see any toy company going anytime soon, especially after what I've seen from Toy Fair just recently.

Offline Fairy Tale Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Ever After High Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 01:16:01 PM »
I would love for it to come back, but I donít have the space for new dolls right now...

Sadly, EAH isnít the phenomenon that MH was, so I doubt itíll make a comeback, sadly

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 01:01:32 PM »
I actually preferred EAH to MH and would love to see them return.  But unfortunately, I don't think the line did well enough to ever see a resurgence. :(
"I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style."

Offline Jabroniville

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 04:21:02 AM »
I would love to see them try again with the same cast, and maybe iron some of the early kinks out (like making Apple a BIT more sympathetic early on so the Royal/Rebel divide didn't look so weird; or explain just WHAT the deal was with all the stories and why they had to re-tell them). It was just such a fun, quirky show, and you could tell almost everyone on it was working their hardest. The animation was brilliant for how it was made (that HAIR! It moved so well!), the voice acting was top notch, and they actually made some legitimately funny episodes.

A real TV series of either MH or EAH would have been fantastic, instead of those quick little Webisodes separated by huge movies.

Offline Cleoglyphics

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Desert Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 08:49:32 PM »
As someone who's just binged the webisodes and specials, I would love for Ever After High to be given another lot in life. EAH was something unique, one of the few princess properties that wasn't trapped under the shadow of the aesthetics of the Disney fairytale adaptations (Though of course they didn't fully escape their influence. Cedar's Tyrolean based designs over Tuscan ones proves that Disney still does have influence on the perceived image of fairytales to this day).

But yeah, I can't see it happening. Maybe as a collector line like what might be happening with Monster High it could though. Continuing on the "Storybook" versions of main characters ala SDCC or maybe going the MH SDCC route of releasing popular characters or BG characters who never got a chance like Sparrow and Hopper or the Crumb Cousins could work.

I feel like even if they try again, Disney would still attempt to undercut the line. That's the issue, Disney has such clout and brand. I mean, think of a parent of a kid - would you rather spend more on a high quality doll with lots of little parts that could easily be lost, or a cheaper doll with brand recognition you know and have a nostalgic connection to? Disney's modern monolopy on the perception of fairytales, even when those original tales aren't themselves copyrighted, kinda chokeholds the competition. It's why I don't see it coming back as a line of fashion dolls again like I could see Monster High having a G3 line.

Offline Kris

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
    • Instagram account for sincerely_ghoulia
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 03:49:03 PM »
The thing about EAH is- it was made when Mattel was still making the Disney Princess franchise. They essentially were creating competition for a line they already had (but EAH is something they own outright) and Disney saw that. They lost the rights to the Disney Princess franchise over that. The CEO resigned over this loss, and Mattel did a lot of internal scrambling. They had to issue a public apology about this in order to keep the other Disney franchise lines, such as the Mickey Mouse. I really don't think they will reboot EAH and risk losing those other lines- and the potential of ever getting the Disney Princesses back.

Which is too bad, as EAH is one of the most inventive takes on fairy tales I've ever seen.

If it *was* rebooted, I would really, really want longer (the 30 min long) episodes because they have the story to do it. I'd love to see in a show all the details and depth both the Hale books and the Selfors books gave. I'd also like to see more about the Darling/Apple thing- either more foreshadowing up and more of Darling as a character- or even just more clarification/ affirmation that Darling was meant to be the Charming in  Apple's story. It was such a lovely move and I think today, they might be able to be more overt.  I'd also love more diversity of characters in general, maybe using stories from around the world.
My Instragram Account is: @sincerely_ghoulia

Offline Jade

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 07:34:50 AM »
I don't expect EAH to return, but if it does, I hope Mattel will give up on the smiling faces. The first lines were detailed and worth buying, and the cartoon was beautifully animated. It had potential for more episodes, with the background characters in leading roles, too. :(
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 08:00:06 AM by Jade »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 01:44:04 AM »
The thing about EAH is- it was made when Mattel was still making the Disney Princess franchise. They essentially were creating competition for a line they already had (but EAH is something they own outright) and Disney saw that. They lost the rights to the Disney Princess franchise over that. The CEO resigned over this loss, and Mattel did a lot of internal scrambling. They had to issue a public apology about this in order to keep the other Disney franchise lines, such as the Mickey Mouse. I really don't think they will reboot EAH and risk losing those other lines- and the potential of ever getting the Disney Princesses back.

Which is too bad, as EAH is one of the most inventive takes on fairy tales I've ever seen.

If it *was* rebooted, I would really, really want longer (the 30 min long) episodes because they have the story to do it. I'd love to see in a show all the details and depth both the Hale books and the Selfors books gave. I'd also like to see more about the Darling/Apple thing- either more foreshadowing up and more of Darling as a character- or even just more clarification/ affirmation that Darling was meant to be the Charming in  Apple's story. It was such a lovely move and I think today, they might be able to be more overt.  I'd also love more diversity of characters in general, maybe using stories from around the world.

EAH was not meant to compete with the Disney Princesses, those were aimed at a younger audience. It was developed during the whole "edgy fairy tale" trend. Little did Mattel know Disney was developing their Descendants franchise. When Disney found out about EAH they wanted Mattel to stop development and switch over to Descendants. Mattel refused so they brought Descendants over to Hasbro. Disney was so impressed with what Hasbro did for Descendants that as soon as they were free from the contact with Mattel they went to them. Especially since Mattel had failed to deliver during Frozen.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline furyXIV

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • in parentheses, let me stress the fact clearly
    • View Profile
    • Drawings, Plush, and Dolls
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 05:25:52 PM »
if there ever was a gen 2 of EAH I'd probably buy more dolls than I actually wanted in a desperate attempt to keep the brand alive, so maybe it's for the better gen 2 is very unlikely  ^^;
I dream of a day where I have shelves

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal