collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 136
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

February 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
[16] 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Author Topic: Overlooked G2 dolls  (Read 265 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
Overlooked G2 dolls
« on: February 09, 2020, 10:07:21 AM »
I feel there were some great quality dolls during G2 that unfortunately were overlooked because everyone was too busy complaining about the unarticulated budget crap to notice the good stuff. So I thought I'd start a thread for some G2 love.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Aery

• Crafty Kitty of Chaos
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • My toy blog
Re: Overlooked G2 dolls
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 03:10:16 PM »
Signature Moanica D'kay is pretty fantastic!

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Creeperific
  • Currently collecting again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 03:13:46 PM »
To name a few, I <3 Fashion whisp and scream and sugar nefera with amanita.

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 04:01:34 PM »
I think a lot of the ones I enjoyed, such as Party Ghouls, Garden Ghouls, and Electrified, were shunned for a gimmicky nature.  Despite the gimmicks, most of the dolls felt pretty in character and actually looked how they should.  Party Hair Draculaura was also pretty stunning. 
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 06:57:51 AM »
I like the Electrified and Shriekwrecked lines quite a lot.

Online Cleoglyphics

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Desert Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 04:20:43 PM »
Party Hair Dracularua, despite having unarticulated arms, is a *really* stunning doll.

And Shriekwrecked is basically a G1 line.

Offline Manster Guy

• Clawsome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 03:09:28 AM »
I adore the Winning Werewolves sports Clawd & Clawdeen 2 pack. Clawd looks really cute with his buffed up body and he's my favourite Clawd of the whole franchise.
I still need G2 Deuce which never got a general release in the UK.

Post Merge: February 13, 2020, 03:14:55 AM

To name a few, I <3 Fashion whisp and scream and sugar nefera with amanita.

I think they're technically G1 dolls, but yes Nefra in that 2 pack is awesome.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:14:55 AM by Manster Guy »
There are many of shades of grey between black and white.

Offline Freezestime

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 08:16:09 PM »
I'm very much opposed to G2 but there's like 3 dolls I wouldn't mind acquiring somehow. The Shriekwrecked Gill Webbington, signature look Lagoona Blue and Ghostly Tea Party Lagoona Blue.

Offline Kris

• Glue-Seepage Head
    • View Profile
    • Instagram account for sincerely_ghoulia
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 08:44:21 PM »
I'm not a huge fans of the dolls themselves per say, but I think the Lots of Looks Draculaura and Frankie form a pretty fun concept. Sort of like the I heart fashion line, but meant for mixing and matching. I get a ton of use out of all the clothing and accessory items and would have loved more characters to be in this line.

And I actually like the G2 Clawd a lot. I like that his body is a bit bigger and more Buff (interestingly Gil's G2 body seems to be the same? Not sure if this was because all his extra fins were too expensive for a new mold or if it was to have more variety in the bodies).But it fits Clawd to be bigger than some of the other dudes.
My Instragram Account is: @sincerely_ghoulia

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 06:48:53 AM »
I'm very much opposed to G2 but there's like 3 dolls I wouldn't mind acquiring somehow. The Shriekwrecked Gill Webbington, signature look Lagoona Blue and Ghostly Tea Party Lagoona Blue.

See this is the kind of dismissal I was talking about. To me it seems a lot of fans dismissed G2 just because it was marketed differently. Yeah there were some unarticulated junk dolls but they weren't even the majority and anyways I was never a big fan of swim or sports dolls and only got them if that was just the cheapest way to obtain a character to restyle or customize do it wasn't a loss for me. The last 3 lines that never got released were all articulated. I'll be forever sad we never got that awesome Ari with the poofy hair. Anyways it happened and it's over so it's kinda too late to be "opposed" to it.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Fantoma

• Fangtastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 04:56:10 PM »
Actually, it is never too late to be opposed to anything. Especially when it concerns G2. I was, and still am, vividly opposed to the creation and existence of Ari Hauntington.
"I don't snoop in your unlife, so please don't snoop in mine" :ghost:

Offline Fairy Tale Man

• Down Undah Diva
  • Ever After High Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 11:06:10 PM »
I liked G2. I thought the new signatures of Frankie, Draculaura, Clawdeen, and Cleo we’re adorable. That being said, I didn’t get into G1 Monster High until later... Ever After High was more my thing. So my opinion may be different than the norm. :shrug:

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Today at 08:20:19 AM »
Personally, I actually liked a lot of what G2 did. XD

I loved the molded details on the G2 bodies for Clawdeen and Cleo. Cleo had always kinda bugged me in the original line, because if you saw her out of context there wasn't anything particularly monster-y about her. G2 "fixed" that, in my eyes.

I honestly felt that some of the characters benefitted big-time from the G2 style. Draculaura and Frankie, in particular. Don't get me wrong; I loved the original faces. But a lot of the characters never looked like kids in their mid-teens to me in G1. G2's face style was more fitting for teenage characters, IMO.

And Monster Family! That was something I'd actually wanted to see since the beginning. XD While I admit it annoyed me that the main-cast ghouls in the line were mostly unarticulated and kinda boring, I really liked all the little siblings. Especially the Wolf kids; they're all so cute!

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Today at 08:36:11 AM »
Monster Family is my favorite G2 line! I really like the idea of making non-teenaged MH dolls, kind of like Barbie did with Kelly and Chelsea. I especially loved the Wolf family. During G1, they always said that Clawdeen had a ton of siblings, but they only made Howleen, Clawd, and Clawdia in doll form. It's nice to see her other sibling brought to life. I do have to say though, I was a bit disappointed that they gave Cleo more siblings. I liked her being the youngest and overcompensating due to her sister Nefera. I collected her brothers' and sister's dolls either way, but I think of them as Cleo's cousins, not siblings.

I honestly felt that some of the characters benefitted big-time from the G2 style. Draculaura and Frankie, in particular. Don't get me wrong; I loved the original faces. But a lot of the characters never looked like kids in their mid-teens to me in G1. G2's face style was more fitting for teenage characters, IMO.

I agree with you, Frankie's G2 face was definitely an improvement. She always struck me as rather naive and innocent, and the larger eyes helped to portray that. :)

Online Cleoglyphics

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Desert Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Today at 03:18:22 PM »

Big agree on Draculaura, her G2 faceup really fit her since her cutesy "genki girl" personality really fit those big, wide eyes.

And yeah, while a lot of people hated it at the time, I really liked how Cleo got molded bandages, Clawdeen & Howleen got molded fur (but not Clawd for some reason) and Lagoona got molded scales. The big issue with some of them (like Cleo's bandages or Frankie's stitches) is that the details weren't painted so they looked like weird lesions on the skin. Cleo's bandages would have worked better if they were a light shade than her skintone and Frankie's stitches should have been painted like they were back in G1

Offline Kris

• Glue-Seepage Head
    • View Profile
    • Instagram account for sincerely_ghoulia
« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:34:15 PM »
During G1, they always said that Clawdeen had a ton of siblings, but they only made Howleen, Clawd, and Clawdia in doll form. It's nice to see her other sibling brought to life. I do have to say though, I was a bit disappointed that they gave Cleo more siblings. I liked her being the youngest and overcompensating due to her sister Nefera.

Yes! That is exactly my thoughts on the families. It was a running joke that the Wolf family was such a large family there were innumerable siblings (doesn't Draculaura state that Clawdeen has like 10 brothers in one webisode?). It makes sense that she gets more siblings. Whereas, Cleo and Nefera definitely had a two sibling dynamic that was pretty central to both of their characters.

And yeah, while a lot of people hated it at the time, I really liked how Cleo got molded bandages, Clawdeen & Howleen got molded fur (but not Clawd for some reason) and Lagoona got molded scales. The big issue with some of them (like Cleo's bandages or Frankie's stitches) is that the details weren't painted so they looked like weird lesions on the skin. Cleo's bandages would have worked better if they were a light shade than her skintone and Frankie's stitches should have been painted like they were back in G1

I agree with this a lot. The molded features were really cool for some of the main ghouls (especially Lagoona). But that painting would have made Cleo's bandages and Frankie's stitches make more sense visually.

There's another thing I did like about G2 that is not specifically doll related. I really liked that they started selling fashion packs again. Some were really cute. The paint splatter dress? And I am still looking for the fashion pack with the suspender skirt from G2! They also sold accessory packs and those were so darn cute! One was a movie themed accesory pack that I think technically was for Frankie but would have worked for any doll. It has 3D glasses and shoes with buckets of popcorn for the heels! The other was a roller skating pack of what looked like skates for Draculaura. There weren't moving wheels but they were still so cute. I'd love to get that one too.

They also had some cute playsets like the locker room, and basketball hoop too.
My Instragram Account is: @sincerely_ghoulia