collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 66
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

August 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
[9] 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Author Topic: Want to downsize my collection but the dolls are yellowed  (Read 4017 times)

Offline neon_jellyfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
Want to downsize my collection but the dolls are yellowed
« on: November 13, 2019, 04:50:16 AM »
Hello everyone!

I want to ask about your opinion on a little problem. I'd like to rehome some dolls, but pretty much all of them are yellowed, mostly on heads (due to glue seepage), joints, sometimes elsewhere. A few have some discolored parts. It's pretty bad, as both the yellowing and the discoloration are uneven and thus really striking. I tried to keep my dolls from sunlight, but they're still yellowing like crazy.

How would you go about selling such dolls? I could post them as a lot for cheap, and make sure I make it clear they're in terrible condition, but shipping costs from Czech Republic to, well, anywhere is absolutely outrageous, so I'm afraid that people looking for cheap lots are going to be put off by shipping.

I don't really expect to make money or anything, but I also don't want to lose money on this, so I don't want to pay for the shipping myself. I also feel awkward about donating these, as they're really quite ugly...

What would you do? Thank you!!!

Offline padmasana

• Bad Box Hair
    • View Profile
Re: Want to downsize my collection but the dolls are yellowed
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 06:35:14 AM »
Sorry to hear about the problem with your collection neon-jellyfish. That sucks.

It doesn't sound like the problem is fix-able unless you tried lightly sanding the surface with very fine sandpaper to see if it's only the surface layer?  I'd try buffing with those nailfiles that are meant for polishing/shining your nails.  That might be enough to remove the top layer, or if not could be used to smooth down the surface after using a slightly rougher paper.

As for what I would do in your position, I would probably offer them free for postage. 

Actually, what I might do first is strip the dolls and sell the clothes/accessories/pets/diaries separately.  That way postage is cheaper so people might be more interested.  And people always love getting extra clothes or replacing missing bits and bobs (or maybe that's just me?!).

Then whatever was leftover I'd sell free for postage.  Restorers/customers might be able to salvage body parts etc.

Then the rest I would bin :sad:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 07:55:37 AM by padmasana »

Offline neon_jellyfish

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 01:40:05 PM »
Thank you! Selling the outfits separately didn't occur to me. I think that might work!

Offline padmasana

• Bad Box Hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 01:50:13 PM »
Thank you! Selling the outfits separately didn't occur to me. I think that might work!

Cool! Are you going to list on here? I might be interested.

Offline Sarkans

• Stone Cold Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 05:03:39 PM »
I'm so sorry you are experiencing this problem, neon_jellyfish! It is always sad to see dolls lose their beauty.  :(

There are customizers who give dolls full body repaints (like, giving MH human skintones) and yellowing isn't an issue for them since it gets covered with paint anyway. I'm sure you'll find buyer(s) for your affected dollies!

Offline neon_jellyfish

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 10:10:38 AM »

Cool! Are you going to list on here? I might be interested.

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this problem, neon_jellyfish! It is always sad to see dolls lose their beauty.  :(

There are customizers who give dolls full body repaints (like, giving MH human skintones) and yellowing isn't an issue for them since it gets covered with paint anyway. I'm sure you'll find buyer(s) for your affected dollies!

Thank you for replies! Sorry for the delay, I only visit forums once in a blue moon.

I don't know where I'm going to list them, and I'm not sure when I'm going to get to it, life's been a bit busy lately. I'm also pondering trying to customize them myself. But even if I don't list them here, I'll post a link. But I can't say when will that be.

Thanks again!

Offline Fantoma

• One-Eyed Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 04:54:37 AM »
Could you post some pics, so we can see how bad the damage is?
"I don't snoop in your unlife, so please don't snoop in mine" :ghost:

Offline Aery

• Crafty Kitty of Chaos
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • My toy blog
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 11:11:54 AM »
Good luck with this. I recently pulled some dolls from storage and a number of them have the same problem, where random body parts have changed color, despite being wrapped in white cotton cloth and never being exposed to sun. Mine were never even displayed, so it's definitely nothing to do with light exposure. Have your dolls been in the heat at all? Mine did probably get a bit warmer than advisable in a long move during the summer.

Anyone else have this issue?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:13:36 AM by Aery »

Offline neon_jellyfish

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 10:56:24 AM »
Thanks for your replies everyone and sorry for abandoning this thread! I have some IRL stuff to deal with now, so I'm putting any selling on hold.

Good luck with this. I recently pulled some dolls from storage and a number of them have the same problem, where random body parts have changed color, despite being wrapped in white cotton cloth and never being exposed to sun. Mine were never even displayed, so it's definitely nothing to do with light exposure. Have your dolls been in the heat at all? Mine did probably get a bit warmer than advisable in a long move during the summer.

Anyone else have this issue?

Ah, yes, my flat is a total oven in summer months, and I don't have any colder places to store my dolls at, so the heat damage is a very likely scenario.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal