collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 69
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

August 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Author Topic: The death of Monster High  (Read 8984 times)

Offline Bright Rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Create a Monster
  • Custom Dolls 4 Life
    • View Profile
Re: The death of Monster High
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2020, 11:29:58 PM »

I have no idea how or why Mattel screwed up such a surefire thing, such a hit toy, but they did it.

I actually never understood why, but the other day I was watching the Barbie episode of 'The toys that made us' a documentary on toys on Netflix, and I realized that they would kill ANY brand to save Barbie.

Because MH was selling better than EAH and Barbie and whatnot, they decided to stop putting so much effort on it as it was threatening Barbie on the long run... I also found this article on it very interesting:

https://adage.com/article/datadriven-marketing/mattel-discovered-monster-high-cannibalized-barbie/302717

I wish they would have kept both! Barbie and MH are solid brands! :sad:

Instead of killing Monster High, Mattel should’ve upped Barbie’s image. Like having the Fashionista dolls have more articulated bodies, or Chelsea without those horrible moulded tops.

The only reason why Barbie was failing the sales of dolls is because of said things I said.

Offline Wynnegen

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 06:16:16 AM »
I don't know if Barbie killed Monster High. That wouldn't make much sense, since Mattel needs that money. Plus, every line of their's lately not Barbie has just stumbled out the gate into obscurity.

Anyways, I actually came here to say somebody made this unbacked claim on Wikipedia that there'll be a new Monster High movie in 2020. I've checked this person's user history, and they seem to have a history of making things up (to the point that they're currently banned)

I mean, we know there's finally going to be a new Barbie movie after quite some time, so could it be true?

Offline QuirkyCat

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 10:14:44 AM »
I don't know if Barbie killed Monster High. That wouldn't make much sense, since Mattel needs that money. Plus, every line of their's lately not Barbie has just stumbled out the gate into obscurity.

Anyways, I actually came here to say somebody made this unbacked claim on Wikipedia that there'll be a new Monster High movie in 2020. I've checked this person's user history, and they seem to have a history of making things up (to the point that they're currently banned)

I mean, we know there's finally going to be a new Barbie movie after quite some time, so could it be true?

It would be such a random time for a mh movie. If anything it would've happened years ago. I think it's fake.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2020, 02:24:49 PM »

It would be such a random time for a mh movie. If anything it would've happened years ago. I think it's fake.

I agree.  I don't know where they would even get that information.
imdb has no information on such a film (not even an in development page), and the MH Facebook and Twitter have been dormantsince 2018.  We should be hearing about this project if it's coming out this year.  Teasers or something.
"I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style."

:rainbow: Instagram :rainbow:

Offline Fantoma

• One-Eyed Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2020, 05:07:21 PM »
It's completely fake. Besides, it wouldn't make much sense to make a movie for a doll line that died almost 2 years ago. Unless it would serve to resurrect the franchise and bring forth G3.
"I don't snoop in your unlife, so please don't snoop in mine" :ghost:

Offline Wynnegen

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2020, 10:24:24 PM »
Yeah, I'd guessed so.

Well, NY Toy Fair is soon. If absolutely nothing comes up, I'll give up my pipe dreams  :biggrin:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2020, 07:01:48 AM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I'm glad to see someone else feels the reboot was a last ditch effort to save a lagging line. MH was going to die out either way because parents weren't buying them anymore and collectors cannot sustain a playline priced doll line. I'm surprised you didn't mention Electrified as one of the good reboot lines. The line had full articulation on all but the gimmick Frankie, detailed outfits, and a really unique hair type.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline QueenGab

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2020, 03:34:03 AM »
Wow wow, got so excited for a sec there, but it's probably fake... unless it was a reaaaaaaaaally early project for G3. Toy Fair is the answer!

Offline Cleoglyphics

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Desert Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2020, 08:10:46 PM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I'm glad to see someone else feels the reboot was a last ditch effort to save a lagging line. MH was going to die out either way because parents weren't buying them anymore and collectors cannot sustain a playline priced doll line. I'm surprised you didn't mention Electrified as one of the good reboot lines. The line had full articulation on all but the gimmick Frankie, detailed outfits, and a really unique hair type.

The interesting thing is that I remember talk around G2 from the time it was around about how G2 was a desperate attempt for MH to say relevant in the new era and try to appeal to a younger crowd because the sales were waning and "spooky dolls" was going out of fashion and the core audience wasn't buying them as much anymore.

I remember threads here during that time talking about how G2 was a bare faced attempt to try to revitalize a fading franchise. It's just kinda funny to me that people forget that MH was receiving a lot of criticism even before G2 completely killed dead a lot of interest.

As for electrified... I do own some dolls (the Cleo and Silvi), but I find the dress quality lacking and the crimped hair gimmick relatively uninspired to the previous gimmicks of like, ghosts and seamonsters.

Offline applejackgirl

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2020, 09:02:14 PM »
Next July, MH would have celebrated its 10th birthday. I can still remember how I felt when I stumbled upon them at Toys 'r' Us for the very first time. I was so stupefied, curious and excited. Had not seen any of them on the Internet so they were a complete surprise. Didn't even know they were made by Mattel. I'll never forget the incredibly profound sentiment of joy, peace, pride & serenity I felt inside my entire being after I bought my very first one (basic Ghoulia) as I looked at all her details as I held her box. Breaks my heart to think about it now. I'm hoping for G3, but it needs to be super solid and to fix all the things that went wrong with G2 and toward the end of G1. Another thing that saddens me is that Barbie is about to celebrate her 61th anniversary and I wish MH could have existed for as long.
You and I are a lot alike. I didn't find them at the beginning of the line but when Scaris came out. I was absolute captivated by Skelita and Jenifire. I just fell head first into the whole line. I obsessed and hunted and stalked dolls from that point forward. I don't think the new faces killed MH it was the cheapness that did it. Those budget lines became so much of the offering and no one wanted them. The line died two years ago and I struggle to be able to afford to buy lots on eBay that I want. I look for them to return but hopefully Mattel stays away from the cheap tactics. They are fashion dolls and molded clothes do not a fashion doll make.

Online Sakuya

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
  • Artist for hire!
    • View Profile
    • Sakuya's DA
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2020, 08:16:05 AM »
G2 certainly didnt help MH... I did actually like the new bodies and the new faces (some fit certain characters more than others), but I think it was the cheaper clothing and molded tops and legs that killed the toys, and  the new storyline that erased all other characters exept a few was atrocious...  I can understand that sometimes you need to reboot things but when you do, you should atleast respect the original fan base, which they didnt in this case, they thought they could just get a whole new audience with aiming for little kids, which I dont think work when it come to monsters...Well it can work with animal type of monsters but not decaying zombies that do some sort of rap music... I think that in MHs case, it would have made more sense to make a totally new monster school in the same world, that way you can focus on a new group of monsters with new things and personalities while having a cross over now and then. Fresh reboots like that tend to work better.
Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
In the mood for clawsome art?
Im always available for commissions!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal