collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 52
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: The death of Monster High  (Read 1234 times)

Offline ponycatmeow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
The death of Monster High
« on: November 09, 2019, 03:26:30 PM »
Monster High has been gone awhile now (and this forum is pretty dead too).
After all this time has passed, what are your thoughts and feelings on the passing of Monster High?
Do you feel G2 killed it? Do you think there will ever be a G3 or revival? Any other thoughts?

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Creeperific
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
Re: The death of Monster High
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 03:36:14 PM »
Ooh, someone who also has noticed how dead this forum and monster high has been. I still deeply love monster high and I will probably never forget about how revolutionary they are. Theyíre still my favorite doll line ( next to integrity ) because of how different and aesthetic they can be. Also because their quality is amazing for their prices. Theyíre also most commonly  used for customs and art makeovers. Anyways, I feel like the reboot helped and hurt monster high in general. They helped it by attempting to give new life and characters to the brand, but also killed it with the outcomes they have given. That being, loss of articulation, molded clothes ( this has never been seen before for monster high dolls from what I can tell.. ), and the quality has just gotten worse. I feel like this is the case for most dolls today. Compared to dolls 8-10 years ago, they are very different in quality. Some dolls even came with rings! I feel like it has a chance to be revived again, but for longtime and new fans of monster high, I feel like the reboot is mostly talked about as a horrible thing that Mattel did. I have to agree, I do like seeing Dracula as Draculauraís dad. It makes the show seem like the monster parents still exist and enjoy doing things with their children, something we have never seen before the reboot ( they even made him into a doll, I think the only parent I remember seeing is llornaía father in the show ). I do think that one day , maybe Mattel will make a reboot. Iím kind of doubting it though seeing how the reboot had been ďfailedĒ and mocked, which is probably why we havenít seen any new releases or dolls which is a shame. Monster high has a lot going for it still.
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline ponycatmeow

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 03:49:47 PM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
It feels like after monster high cheaped out all the other toy lines followed suit. We're in a bit of a "dark age" for toys right now in my opinion. (Blind bags and plastic clothes and hair everywhere!)

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 05:49:47 AM »
Well, all good things come to an end eventually. And I guess it's hardly the first toy line to start off strong and then fizzle out with a godawful reboot, lol..

I guess the forum's dead because there's not much to talk about right now? MH are long gone from most places, there's nothing new coming out to discuss.. I think most of us have moved on. I mean, there's only so much you can say about a finished toy line, you know?

I suspect MH will return in some form, eventually. Nothing seems to stay dead these days.

Offline neon_jellyfish

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 05:38:48 AM »
At this point, I became more interested in other kinds of dolls, so I pretty much moved on from MH.

I still love my dolls, and plan to keep most of my collection, but I don't feel like hunting for the ones I once wanted but never got. Same with other playline dolls. That's also why I'm not really active on this forum anymore. I'm active elsewhere, and I participate in A Doll A Day photochallenge again this year on another forum, but I don't really have anything to share here.

I miss the 'good old days', and I'm sad MH died out, but I'm not sure I'd be interested in getting new ones even if another rebbot (a successful one) happened. Back when I started collecting MH, I was absolutely sure it was going to be passion for a lifetime, because they were so fun and different and MONSTERS! But as the quality started to decrease, I started looking at other kinds of dolls (like Pullips), and then the reboot happened and I really didn't like the new designs, so that was pretty much it. I wonder what would my collecting be like if G1 MH was still going strong.

As for what killed MH, I think reboot played a part in it, but it would probably happen anyways, because the post-Twilight monster and dark aesthetic hype faded away, so the overall theme of MH wasn't 'it' anymore. As for resurrection, I think it could happen if another successful movie or book series about monsters / dark things appeared, which is entirely possible.

I, like ponycatmeow, also think we're entering one of those eras when traditional toys in general aren't all that popular, with kids preferring mobile games and whatnot, but these things come and go in waves, so I'm quite optimistic that after some time, interest in toys (and dolls) will revive again.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:40:19 AM by neon_jellyfish »

Offline Freezestime

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 08:45:44 AM »
Monster High has been gone awhile now (and this forum is pretty dead too).
After all this time has passed, what are your thoughts and feelings on the passing of Monster High?
Do you feel G2 killed it? Do you think there will ever be a G3 or revival? Any other thoughts?

Yeah, I'd say that G2 killed it. I think Monster High will be revived at some point as there are still fans out there collecting dolls and completing collections, I think it may follow in MLP's kinda time line. G1 was great, G2 didnt sell well and hopefully, G3 will revive the line.

Offline Fantoma

• Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 06:24:45 AM »
There's absolutely no doubt about it: G2 did cause the actual death of MH. The whole brand slowly started to end the minute they revealed those atrocious new faces with big round eyes and soft features for Draculaura, Clawdeen, Frankie and the others. It was like getting punched hard in the face with a sledgehammer when expecting a tender soft little kiss on the lips. The ghouls used to be drop-dead gorgeous, fierce, edgy, creative, different & unique. And all of a sudden, they became cute, funny, common, unoriginal & hyper-boring.

But there were warning signs before, while G1 while still quite strong... like characters better fitted for Ever After High than Monster High (Mouscedes King, Luna Motthews, just to name those 2) and others that were not monstrous at all (like Isi Dawndancer & Jane Boolittle, just to name these 2), even if they were gorgeous. But they were too fairytale like. The quality had also drop with certain lines and they were releasing too many new lines per year. Seriously, it's not like everyone could afford to buy each new doll from each new line. They went overboard with the  whole thing. And sadly, many of those new lines were super cheap and lame, while they were making less and less high quality, deluxe & truly exciting lines.

And then, characters started to vanish without warning or logical explanation. And Mattel mostly ignored our questions about the disappearance of those characters. They insisted that none of our favorite beloved characters had been erased from the Monster High family but we all know that was a lie. Many characters went M.I.A. and were not seen again in any kind of way, shape or form since the reboot started. It took nearly 2 years for Ghoulia to return. But so many others vanished (Spectra, Jinafire, Honey, Viperine, most of the guys, etc....)

Parents kept complaining that the G1 dolls were "scary", way too sexy, unrealistic and also too weird (since when is that a bad thing?), and eventually, the dolls became lame, cheap, boring, poorly designed and executed, uninteresting and lost their edginess and fierceness. Can't believe people Mattel caved in so easily. One of the best doll franchise died an excruciating death and it is terrible sad & heartbreaking.

Next year, it will be the 10th anniversary of MH. I hope we get some surprising news but I'm not holding my breath. As for an eventual G3, I truly want to believe that it will happen one day, but they'll need to correct all the mistakes they made with G2.
"I don't snoop in your unlife, so please don't snoop in mine" :ghost:

Offline ponycatmeow

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 06:03:12 AM »
At this point, I became more interested in other kinds of dolls, so I pretty much moved on from MH.

I still love my dolls, and plan to keep most of my collection, but I don't feel like hunting for the ones I once wanted but never got. Same with other playline dolls. That's also why I'm not really active on this forum anymore. I'm active elsewhere, and I participate in A Doll A Day photochallenge again this year on another forum, but I don't really have anything to share here.

I miss the 'good old days', and I'm sad MH died out, but I'm not sure I'd be interested in getting new ones even if another rebbot (a successful one) happened. Back when I started collecting MH, I was absolutely sure it was going to be passion for a lifetime, because they were so fun and different and MONSTERS! But as the quality started to decrease, I started looking at other kinds of dolls (like Pullips), and then the reboot happened and I really didn't like the new designs, so that was pretty much it. I wonder what would my collecting be like if G1 MH was still going strong.

As for what killed MH, I think reboot played a part in it, but it would probably happen anyways, because the post-Twilight monster and dark aesthetic hype faded away, so the overall theme of MH wasn't 'it' anymore. As for resurrection, I think it could happen if another successful movie or book series about monsters / dark things appeared, which is entirely possible.

I, like ponycatmeow, also think we're entering one of those eras when traditional toys in general aren't all that popular, with kids preferring mobile games and whatnot, but these things come and go in waves, so I'm quite optimistic that after some time, interest in toys (and dolls) will revive again.
If you don't mind sharing, what are some good doll forums? I'm having a hard time finding places

Offline padmasana

• Home Ick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 02:54:34 PM »
I'm really sad that MH "died" before I even discovered it... But I'm super-happy that the dolls exist at all and that there's a good second-hand market.

I hope there is a re-boot.  Even if many collectors still prefer G1, just having a reboot will revive interest and online presence for all the Gs.  A good film/series is also needed I think, not just good dolls.  Like with MLP - it wasn't until Friendship is Magic that the huge revival happened, and the G4 ponies were "OK" but it was the visual media that really breathed life into it all.

Obviously the main reason this board is quiet is because there's been nothing new coming out in the MH line.  But if you don't mind me saying, I wonder if the quietness on the board could also be made worse by how difficult it is for new members to join.  I actually thought this board must have been abandoned by mods as I got no response to my registration.  It was only through contacts on a different board that I managed to get on, after 2 weeks of waiting with absolutely no communication from the board.  And then it took another million years (OK probably a few days but felt like a million years) for my intro post to be approved so I could actually read and post.

I'm not the only one who's experienced this, and I'll bet that anyone less than fanatical just isn't going to have the patience or contacts to be able to find their way on.

And having plenty of fresh blood arriving here every week will really bring it to life.  I noticed someone on the thread said that everything has already been said now about MH so there's nothing else to post about, but with new people joining the board it would get lively again because we newbies will have a lot we want to say (even if it's already been said, just the experience of chatting with other collectors is fun).  And we'll need to ask the old hands for advice and guidance.  Also, for comparison, on MLPArena we never run out of stuff to say about G1, G2 etc. even though no new toys have come out in those line for decades (apart from a the odd small re-issue).   But people still want to talk about their finds, their collections, their restorations, cataloguing, comparing, etc. etc., new people find their way to the hobby and the board and want to be guided, etc. etc.  I feel like with MH there's even more scope for the interest and the chat to go on indefinitely because of all the different outfits, the articulation and potential for posing, making clothes, the cool back stories, all the multimedia stuff etc. etc.

On a completely different note, I'm really surprised that there is absolutely nothing equivalent to MH on the market (especially in the UK).  It's a real shame. But things do go in waves, and when everyone gets tired of blind bags and moulded plastic everything, then imaginative high quality dolls will probably come back again. I hope!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 03:00:39 PM by padmasana »

Offline ponycatmeow

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 04:41:03 PM »
I'm really sad that MH "died" before I even discovered it... But I'm super-happy that the dolls exist at all and that there's a good second-hand market.

I hope there is a re-boot.  Even if many collectors still prefer G1, just having a reboot will revive interest and online presence for all the Gs.  A good film/series is also needed I think, not just good dolls.  Like with MLP - it wasn't until Friendship is Magic that the huge revival happened, and the G4 ponies were "OK" but it was the visual media that really breathed life into it all.

Obviously the main reason this board is quiet is because there's been nothing new coming out in the MH line.  But if you don't mind me saying, I wonder if the quietness on the board could also be made worse by how difficult it is for new members to join.  I actually thought this board must have been abandoned by mods as I got no response to my registration.  It was only through contacts on a different board that I managed to get on, after 2 weeks of waiting with absolutely no communication from the board.  And then it took another million years (OK probably a few days but felt like a million years) for my intro post to be approved so I could actually read and post.

I'm not the only one who's experienced this, and I'll bet that anyone less than fanatical just isn't going to have the patience or contacts to be able to find their way on.

And having plenty of fresh blood arriving here every week will really bring it to life.  I noticed someone on the thread said that everything has already been said now about MH so there's nothing else to post about, but with new people joining the board it would get lively again because we newbies will have a lot we want to say (even if it's already been said, just the experience of chatting with other collectors is fun).  And we'll need to ask the old hands for advice and guidance.  Also, for comparison, on MLPArena we never run out of stuff to say about G1, G2 etc. even though no new toys have come out in those line for decades (apart from a the odd small re-issue).   But people still want to talk about their finds, their collections, their restorations, cataloguing, comparing, etc. etc., new people find their way to the hobby and the board and want to be guided, etc. etc.  I feel like with MH there's even more scope for the interest and the chat to go on indefinitely because of all the different outfits, the articulation and potential for posing, making clothes, the cool back stories, all the multimedia stuff etc. etc.

On a completely different note, I'm really surprised that there is absolutely nothing equivalent to MH on the market (especially in the UK).  It's a real shame. But things do go in waves, and when everyone gets tired of blind bags and moulded plastic everything, then imaginative high quality dolls will probably come back again. I hope!
I sure hope things get easier for new members. We definitely need new members!
And I sure hope molded plastic and blind boxes go away too...

Offline Carrehz

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 06:20:58 AM »
I noticed someone on the thread said that everything has already been said now about MH so there's nothing else to post about

Hey, I never said that. There's always something to say about stuff, no matter how old it is. But it's also true that at this point, a lot of people have moved on and it's difficult to come up with interesting topics to discuss at this point without just running in circles. :shrug:

I'm not sure if MLP is a fair comparison, since it's been running for so much longer than MH and there's hundreds/thousands more things to say about it. More mysteries! Whereas in comparison, MH... we basically know everything about it? No Nirvanas or anything like that.

(It probably doesn't help that forums in general are pretty dead these days. The MLP Arena thrives, I think in part because it's been around so dang long... I wonder if that's part of why things are so quiet 'round here.. I think most of us are on the MLP Arena too - could be that that's where most of the off-topic discussion has gone?)

Offline padmasana

• Home Ick
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 07:27:02 AM »
Sorry Carrehz, I misinterpreted your comment.  You make some good points about MLP vs MH, and about forums in general (off topic: I am So SAD about the demise of forums!!! I guess it shows my age but I love forums and I hate Facebook, instagram etc.  Other favourite forums of mine have completely died out because of competing social media)

MH ran for 8 years though, and Gen 1 MLP for 12, so it's not a *huge* difference. But obviously they're not the same.  I think re-boots obviously help.

A lot of you guys who have been fans since the start of MH (or at least, while the pre-reboot dolls were still being made) were understandably disappointed, angry, hurt etc. about the re-boot and then the end of Monster High completely.  I totally get that.  i woud have been the same.  If it were me, this history/baggage would make it hard for me to keep discussing as it would always remind me of what was lost, what could have been, and I'd keep feeling those feelings every time I talked about it. 

But for someone coming to this comletely new, it's just like, "woah all these amazing dolls! A pretty skeleton doll, what's going on?! Cool clothes! Cool stories! Need to chat nonsense with other people about all the nerdy details!"

Know what I mean?  I'm sure there are other people also coming to MH new.  It would be great to make the forum more accessible for them, and with fresh blood it would enliven the discussion again for everyone, and we newbies need the ghouls who've been haunting MHArena for a longer time to impart their monster-wisdom!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:34:01 AM by padmasana »

Offline RevengeSeeker

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 10:51:26 AM »
I agree about what has been said about the forum. Took me ages to get in and it had to be thru connections. The admin should make it easier.

In topic. I love and am obsessed with monster high. I never collected anything before. But I hated the reboot. Got a few dolls from the reboot, the better ones tough.

As of right now, I own around 400 monster high dolls and am trying to complete the full G1 collection. 80 to go, plus the SDCC.

I want it to come back of course, but Mattel has lost itís quality, and for it to come back under its current state Iíd rather them to leave it alone.

Offline Carrehz

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 12:44:12 PM »
padmasana - It's okay, I probably worded it wrong before anyway x) I want this forum to thrive again, too - I'm just sort of stuck for conversation topics. I'm sure things'll pick up again eventually.
(and yessss I am so with you on the forum thing. Can't stand social media.. It's so difficult to find a good forum like this nowadays. I feel like even if you do get a good discussion going on another site, it's harder to really get to know the other people on there? Maybe that's just me. Er, but I'm rambling ^^;)

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Creeperific
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 01:32:02 PM »
I kind of do wish I didnít stop collecting for a certain timeframe. I sometimes lost interest in MH and I lost interest around the peak/end of MH in around 2014-2015 when their quality was absolutely amazing. I remember I got my first doll which was gloom ní bloom Venus. ( even though I broke her because I didnít realize how fragile their joints are compared to bratz and barbies ) I really loved her quality and how beautiful she was. The colors really popped and it was unlike any other dolls I ever had. They were monsters, yet had human qualities and such a unique style. Anyways, I remember getting catty noir about a month after her release and was astonished with how amazing the quality was on her. It was after that and a few more dolls that I lost interest in collecting for awhile and had too many so I decided to take a break and I still regret it. When i came back, the reboot was about to begin and I was very angry and frustrated with this. I could definitely collect older dolls, but I noticed they have gotten more expensive and the reboot was essentially the end of the monster high quality. I only got one reboot doll being Monica. I feel like Monica was the only reboot doll that really showed how the reboot and its quality could have been. She even has an actual face with emotion. No offense to anyone who likes the reboot faces and molds, but I just thought it was too childish and cute. In my opinion, monster high was a mix of both. It really showed each characters emotions along with their style all while keeping it child friendly so not TOO scary or mean. ( I donít think the dolls were even scary or mean to begin with, so Iím not sure why Mattel had to make them more cute? Possibly to appeal to much younger children? ) TLDR; I took a break from monster high and came back when it was about to reboot and was devastated with what happened and I wish I never took a break from collecting.
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline padmasana

• Home Ick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2019, 02:35:28 PM »
padmasana - It's okay, I probably worded it wrong before anyway x) I want this forum to thrive again, too - I'm just sort of stuck for conversation topics. I'm sure things'll pick up again eventually.
(and yessss I am so with you on the forum thing. Can't stand social media.. It's so difficult to find a good forum like this nowadays. I feel like even if you do get a good discussion going on another site, it's harder to really get to know the other people on there? Maybe that's just me. Er, but I'm rambling ^^;)

Yay I'm so glad I'm not the only one re: social media and forums.  yeah I know exactly what you mean, you can actually get to know people on forums. It actually feels almost like a physical place you can go to and hang out with other people, and it has a community feeling. 

You're not rambling

Post Merge: November 16, 2019, 02:45:12 PM

[...] I remember I got my first doll which was gloom ní bloom Venus. ( even though I broke her because I didnít realize how fragile their joints are compared to bratz and barbies ) I really loved her quality and how beautiful she was. The colors really popped and it was unlike any other dolls I ever had. They were monsters, yet had human qualities and such a unique style. Anyways, I remember getting catty noir about a month after her release and was astonished with how amazing the quality was on her.

Yes! That's exactly how I am feeling right now.  The very first MH doll I saw in the flesh was Skelita and I was absolutly awestruck by the detail and quality.  Incredible little hands and feet with all the bones!  With every new doll I buy I am blown away by the attention to detail.  The designers must have had such a great time and ever single one seems like it was conceptualised and executed with great pride.

It was after that and a few more dolls that I lost interest in collecting for awhile and had too many so I decided to take a break and I still regret it. When i came back, the reboot was about to begin and I was very angry and frustrated with this.

Oh i'm really sorry you have those feelings about taking a break from collecting. That must be so frustrating!  But you know, I have found dolls in AMAZING condition, like new, with all accessories, that have literally just been on display for the past 6 or 7 years.  Yes certain dolls have become expensive but there are loads of absolutely wonderful second-hand dolls that you can get for less than they cost new.

Yes I completely agree with you about Moanica.  She is my only reboot doll too.  Her face is really characterful and I love the way her accessories are all cute and pink but then you have a second look and they're really gross!

yes I really agree - my daughter is only 7, and very sensitive and easily scared by things, but she LOVES Monster High dolls.  When I talk to her about how some things might not be seen as appropriate for little children she just looks at me like I'm an idiot and says "they're MONSTERS mama! It doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly want to look like them!!!" and if i say some people think they're too scary for children she thinks it's hilarious.

I wouldn't let her have Barbies or anything like that because I just think they are terrible role models for children and just kind of bland an boring and limiting (no offence to Barbie fans!). But MH is just so..... OUT THERE!! that I made an exception from my usual muesli-knitting, yoga-crafting wholesome mom approach.  My son loves them too (bonus!).

My children are quite unusual though in their tastes, and are also pretty sheltered (by me) from any advertising and media etc. so they're probably completely out of step with what's 'cool' and what their peers are into.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 02:46:20 PM by padmasana »