collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 127
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 1

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

December 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Author Topic: Glue seepage baby powder mess!  (Read 1216 times)

Offline QueenGab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bad Box Hair
    • View Profile
Glue seepage baby powder mess!
« on: September 15, 2019, 01:04:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

I recently got a Lagoona "Student Disembody Council" with a strong case of glue seepage. I tried the baby powder + washing method twice. And it did help a little. The issue now is that the glue is not completely gone and her hair looks WHITE at the roots and some other random spots and I can't get it off :( . I now know I should've used cornstarch but its too late. I've tried washing her hair twice (once with dishwasher and also laundry detergent) but the mix of powder+glue is super resistant. Anyone has any tricks/tips for this? Although she is blonde I find the white quite noticeable...

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
Re: Glue seepage baby powder mess!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 05:49:32 PM »
To remove the glue I'd use either OxiClean or spray-able Goo Gone. In my experience, Goo Gone works a lot better, you just have to make sure to clean all of it from the doll's hair with dish soap. It takes about two to three thorough washes. Unfortunately, Goo Gone is toxic when swallowed (not that you would do that on purpose, lol) or inhaled and can irritate skin, so I'd highly recommend working in a well ventilated area and wearing gloves.

If you don't want to use harsh chemicals, I'd go with OxiClean. A Thousand Splendid Dolls on YouTube has an great tutorial. Basically you heat up some water in the microwave until its just about to boil, add some OxiClean, and dunk the doll's hair in, making sure to get the roots. This might take a few tries depending on the amount of seepage and it works best if you've cleaned the doll's hair beforehand several times. Then you wash out the OxiClean.

As far as removing the baby powder, my theory is that it's sticking to the remaining glue and that's why it won't come off. So when you remove the glue, the baby powder should come with it. Good luck and I hope this helps! :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:36:00 AM by respositob »

Offline QueenGab

• Bad Box Hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 01:58:04 AM »
To remove the glue I'd use either OxiClean or spray-able Goo Gone. In my experience, Goo Gone works a lot better, you just have to make sure to clean all of it from the doll's hair with dish soap. It takes about two to three thorough washes. Unfortunately, Goo Gone is toxic when swallowed (not that you would do that on purpose, lol) or inhaled and can irritate skin, so I'd highly recommend working in a well ventilated area and wearing gloves.

If you don't want to use harsh chemicals, I'd go with OxiClean. A Thousand Splendid Dolls on YouTube has an great tutorial. Basically you heat up some water in the microwave until its just about to boil, add some OxiClean, and dunk the doll's hair in, making sure to get the roots. This might take a few tries depending on the amount of seepage and it works best if you've cleaned the doll's hair beforehand several times. Then you wash out the OxiClean.

As far as removing the baby powder, my theory is that it's sticking to the remaining glue and that's why it won't come off. So when you remove the glue, the baby powder should come with it. Good luck and I hope this helps! :biggrin:

Thank you sooooo much! That video was so helpful! It also explains how to make your own Oxiclean, because I don't really have access to it. Thanks thanks thanks!

Offline respositob

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 06:20:49 AM »

Thank you sooooo much! That video was so helpful! It also explains how to make your own Oxiclean, because I don't really have access to it. Thanks thanks thanks!

Glad I could help! Good luck! :)

Offline RevengeSeeker

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 03:31:51 PM »
I always and only use goo gone.

Offline WinterwolfR

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • I love purple!
    • View Profile
    • LnRworks shop
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 10:57:17 PM »
I've tried the baby powder thing before and it never really worked for me so I just left the dolls as is. Maybe I'll try this on them soon :)
~It doesn't matter if a toy is new or used as long as it's nicely detailed~

Offline QueenGab

• Bad Box Hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 02:15:19 AM »
Hey guys! thanks for your feedback, tried the oxiclean and it did help but did not solve the issue! I might have to try purchase GOO GONE, I have a friend going on holiday to the US, maybe I'll ask her!

Offline respositob

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 02:12:27 PM »
Hey guys! thanks for your feedback, tried the oxiclean and it did help but did not solve the issue! I might have to try purchase GOO GONE, I have a friend going on holiday to the US, maybe I'll ask her!

I think Goo Gone's much more effective after having used both that and OxiClean myself. Hopefully it works out for you as well. :)

Offline padmasana

• Bad Box Hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 12:48:52 AM »
Tell me more about how/why cornstarch is more effective than baby powder?  (and is cornstarch the same as cornflour in the uk?)

I used talc (pure unperfumed just talc) on Skelita's hair and brushed it out well using a soft bristle baby brush.  It worked pretty well but left her hair slightly dull-looking.  I probably should wash it but scared!

I have a bottle of Goo Gone (not stocked in UK but I got it on amazon) in my cupboard that I was going to use on Rochelle GNO. But again: scared!

Offline respositob

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 07:37:20 AM »
I have a bottle of Goo Gone (not stocked in UK but I got it on amazon) in my cupboard that I was going to use on Rochelle GNO. But again: scared!

I don't blame you for being afraid to use Goo Gone. It's a harsh chemical. If you're worried about damaging your dolls, I can't guarantee nothing will happen to them, I've done it before and my girls came out unharmed AND glue-free. So in my opinion, it's worth a shot. But I highly recommend wearing gloves and working in a well-ventilated area and maybe even wearing a mask.

Offline QueenGab

• Bad Box Hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 03:31:39 AM »
Tell me more about how/why cornstarch is more effective than baby powder?  (and is cornstarch the same as cornflour in the uk?)

I used talc (pure unperfumed just talc) on Skelita's hair and brushed it out well using a soft bristle baby brush.  It worked pretty well but left her hair slightly dull-looking.  I probably should wash it but scared!

From what I've read here in the forum, cornstarch is easier to get off from the dolls hair, I personally have never tried it, The talc trick works fine, but besides the dullness on tha dolls hair my lagoona hair was almost white! I finally tried Goo Gone and it worked perfectly, no damage to the doll's hair, I also tried it on my draculaura haunted, which had a horrible case of glue seepgae and she looks fab!

Offline RevengeSeeker

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 04:34:12 AM »

From what I've read here in the forum, cornstarch is easier to get off from the dolls hair, I personally have never tried it, The talc trick works fine, but besides the dullness on tha dolls hair my lagoona hair was almost white! I finally tried Goo Gone and it worked perfectly, no damage to the doll's hair, I also tried it on my draculaura haunted, which had a horrible case of glue seepgae and she looks fab!

Told ya. Goo gone is the best!

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Creeperific
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 01:56:46 PM »
Be careful not to leave light skinned dolls soaking in the goo gone mixture, might stain them which happened to me.
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline respositob

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 01:17:26 PM »
Be careful not to leave light skinned dolls soaking in the goo gone mixture, might stain them which happened to me.

Ooh, I didn't know this. Out of my own curiosity, by light skinned do you mean peach like Barbie's or actually white like Catrine's?

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Creeperific
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2019, 04:32:20 PM »

Ooh, I didn't know this. Out of my own curiosity, by light skinned do you mean peach like Barbie's or actually white like Catrine's?
I left my draculaura in the mixture for a few hours and pulled it out to find a stain. Scrubbing didnít work but acne cream did but it left her head really pale unfortunately. Better than an orange stain at least. Not sure if barbie would stain but Iíd say to be careful from getting the goo-gone on the parts of the head that really show.
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline respositob

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 04:12:30 PM »

I left my draculaura in the mixture for a few hours and pulled it out to find a stain. Scrubbing didnít work but acne cream did but it left her head really pale unfortunately. Better than an orange stain at least. Not sure if barbie would stain but Iíd say to be careful from getting the goo-gone on the parts of the head that really show.

Oh no! Poor Draculaura! I'll keep your experience in mind the next time I use Goo Gone. I don't want to end up with any stained dolls.

Offline taffeta

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 04:55:10 PM »
Does acne cream not have the same horrific side effect when used on the vinyl doll heads as it does on MLP?
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline ponycatmeow

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 03:14:18 PM »
Does acne cream not have the same horrific side effect when used on the vinyl doll heads as it does on MLP?
What side effect is that?

Offline taffeta

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 03:44:24 PM »
What side effect is that?

In G1 MLPs acne cream is a big no no as it leaves large cream blotches and continues to be active for a long time after it's applied. It can't be undone and it is potentially transferable to other toys, so it's generally avoided. I thought it was risky on soft plastics but maybe the MH are not the same - although with MLPs, the effects sometimes took years to show. It's something of a time bomb.
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間