collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 22
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

September 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
[22] 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: What were some dolls you wanted but never got/saw in person?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
I don't know how active this topic might be, but the idea for it hit me recently.  Someone on Reddit was asking about the CAM white torso, and I told them I doubt they could find it as it was only available on Mattel's site.  I went browsing, not expecting to find it, and of course now that I'm not collecting MH, they have Gore-geous Accessories Robecca.  I always thought she was really beautiful and never saw her at Big Lots when people were finding her there.  I also, for that matter, never finished collecting Rochelle, Catty, or Cleo due to some of their final releases like Getting Ghostly Rochelle never showing up in the US except maybe one short run and the difficulty in finding I Heart Fashion Cleo and the Costco pack with Boo York Catty.

When I brought up the topic to my sister, her immediate answer was Dawn of the Dance Clawdeen.  While we saw them in box on their first run, our parents did not buy her Clawdeen because she wanted the three pack and they could not justify the price.  She also never saw Dawn of the Dance Lagoona, not even the re-release, or basic Toralei on the shelves.

So, what dolls avoided you?  Which ones did you hunt for but have to give up on or order/trade for online because they just did not pop up in any store around you?
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: What were some dolls you wanted but never got/saw in person?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 05:30:11 PM »
Great idea for a thread! :biggrin:

I remember I saw Sweet Screams Frankie once in person at Target. Her box was crushed, and back then I cared about the packaging, so I left her behind. To this day that is one of biggest doll regrets. I never saw in person again, and she still has managed to elude me online. I can't seem to find her for a good price!

I also had a similar experience with Gloom and Bloom Cleo, expect I didn't choose to leave her behind, I literally just didn't have enough cash. Same with Ghoul Fair Heath. Speaking of Gloom and Bloom though, I don't think I ever saw Jinafire in person and I'm still looking for her at a reasonable price.

I can't think of anymore dolls that evaded me off of the top of my head, but I'm sure I'll think of more. But, again, I love this topic idea! :biggrin:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 09:45:25 PM »
     Since Iím somewhat new to the MH collecting scene, I still have my old ones from when I was the target audience. But I did see a fair number of dolls now, that I wish younger me had picked up! I kinda want to collect any and all dolls, but a few notable ones are:
-Luna mothews
-astra nova
-gooliopie
-avea trotter
     Monster high was a short fad for me, so I was out of the circuit when these girls came out. Darn...

Offline Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 10:32:46 PM »
G2 Deuce and Clawd
All the little siblings of the ghouls... I have found three on the flea market tho.

Offline Konzern

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 06:36:23 AM »
I saw Gloom and Bloom Jinafire and Cleo once, and thankfully they had good boxes.  but those Target ones were really hit and miss.  We saw Sweet Screams Frankie and Draculaura a couple of times, but only one or twice for Abbey and Ghoulia at Target, though they eventually shelfwarmed Big Lots.

Now that Astranova's been mentioned, I don't think we ever got her playset here.  The only time I recall seeing it was at Toys R Us once.

For the little siblings to be put out presumably to appeal to younger audiences, they surely didn't show up much, did they?  I remember seeing the main three solo release, Lagoona and her little sister two pack, and Cleo with the kids once at Target but whichever one was released solo of Cleo's siblings I never saw.

Offline Monsterfan95

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
  • Fan of horror movies and scary characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 06:58:29 PM »
So many dolls I wanted but they never got where I live:

Scaris Cleo and Lagoona pack
I heart fashion dolls
Heath Burns dolls
Ghouls night out pack
Manster pack

Offline Konzern

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 06:45:13 AM »

I heart fashion dolls
Heath Burns dolls
Ghouls night out pack
Manster pack

Different country, I'm guessing?  We didn't live near a Toys R Us, so when we rarely went, I'd make sure to look for exclusives.  Only saw the Scaris 2 Pack once.  Our Walmart got very picky near the end.  We got the Ghouls Night Out pack, only three, I think.  My sister grabbed the best looking pair.  We never even got the Wolf Family 4 Pack here, though the other towns around us did.

Offline BusyLizzie

• Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 04:57:19 PM »
I was late to the MH collecting party (I primarily collected EAH when I joined this site), but I did manage to snag a few good ones before they completely disappeared from stores. Plus, I feel like there are a lot of people dumping their collections recently since the line is dead, so it hasn't been too hard to start my collection, but now that I've done more research on them I'm finding ones that I'm on the lookout for: the Freak du Chic playset and the Doom and Gloom dolls. It's such a shame that Mattel let the quality of ALL of their toylines go downhill in the last few years, because when you do find one of the older dolls it's very obvious that more care was taken in designing and producing them than even the G2 dolls, let alone what they're peddling in stores now.

Offline Konzern

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 06:16:57 AM »
I was late to the MH collecting party (I primarily collected EAH when I joined this site), but I did manage to snag a few good ones before they completely disappeared from stores. Plus, I feel like there are a lot of people dumping their collections recently since the line is dead, so it hasn't been too hard to start my collection, but now that I've done more research on them I'm finding ones that I'm on the lookout for: the Freak du Chic playset and the Doom and Gloom dolls. It's such a shame that Mattel let the quality of ALL of their toylines go downhill in the last few years, because when you do find one of the older dolls it's very obvious that more care was taken in designing and producing them than even the G2 dolls, let alone what they're peddling in stores now.

EAH was the opposite for me.  I did not get into the line until I saw how gorgeous Duchess was, and yet I passed by every.  single.  rare doll.  Spring Unsprung Kitty, the Fairest on Ice girls, Dexter, Alistair, every single one I saw at least once.  Didn't realize it at the time or click that I'd love the line until basic Duchess.

I just sold my Freak du Chic playset, it was the only FDC we got at our Walmart.  I did actually see it on Mattel's shop for $40 the other day.  I agree, though, that collecting, especially out of box collectors, is not as hard as it once was.  Some have held value, some have skyrocketed that I did not expect to, and others plunged.  Plus, if you're patient enough, you can snag a complete, rare or formerly rare doll, for a great price.

EDIT: Ah, she's on the site, but apparently not for sale at the time unless I've missed an add to cart button.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 06:39:06 AM by Konzern »

Offline Monsterfan95

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
  • Fan of horror movies and scary characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »

I heart fashion dolls
Heath Burns dolls
Ghouls night out pack
Manster pack

Different country, I'm guessing?  We didn't live near a Toys R Us, so when we rarely went, I'd make sure to look for exclusives.  Only saw the Scaris 2 Pack once.  Our Walmart got very picky near the end.  We got the Ghouls Night Out pack, only three, I think.  My sister grabbed the best looking pair.  We never even got the Wolf Family 4 Pack here, though the other towns around us did.

I'm Cleo fan and I wanted the Scaris pack so bad, at least where I live all the 5 packs were in stores (except the maul monsteristas) but we never get the 2 packs,so weird.  :shrug: 

Offline Konzern

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 11:20:30 AM »

I heart fashion dolls
Heath Burns dolls
Ghouls night out pack
Manster pack

I'm Cleo fan and I wanted the Scaris pack so bad, at least where I live all the 5 packs were in stores (except the maul monsteristas) but we never get the 2 packs,so weird.  :shrug:
5 packs weren't so hard to come by, and we went to Target maybe once a month or every two months.  Except Maul Monsteristas of course.  I love Cleo, my sister loves Lagoona, and I always thought it was the cutest two pack. 

Offline BusyLizzie

• Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »

EAH was the opposite for me.  I did not get into the line until I saw how gorgeous Duchess was, and yet I passed by every.  single.  rare doll.  Spring Unsprung Kitty, the Fairest on Ice girls, Dexter, Alistair, every single one I saw at least once.  Didn't realize it at the time or click that I'd love the line until basic Duchess.

I just sold my Freak du Chic playset, it was the only FDC we got at our Walmart.  I did actually see it on Mattel's shop for $40 the other day.  I agree, though, that collecting, especially out of box collectors, is not as hard as it once was.  Some have held value, some have skyrocketed that I did not expect to, and others plunged.  Plus, if you're patient enough, you can snag a complete, rare or formerly rare doll, for a great price.

EDIT: Ah, she's on the site, but apparently not for sale at the time unless I've missed an add to cart button.

I think that's right around when I started collecting EAH, too. I also passed over SU Kitty, Dexter and Allistair. It's crazy which dolls have held their value, and which ones have tanked or skyrocketed. The doll market is very hard to predict sometimes.

Offline ghoulbunny

• One-Eyed Ghoul
  • -Monster High pun of an expression here-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »
Ahh, I wish I had seen the Sweet Screams series in person!! I really like Frankie's doll for that one, and ofcourse, Draculaura!
wee woo

Offline Manster Guy

• MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 11:59:54 AM »
Yeah Sweet Screams Draculaura is to die for. Probably my fave Drac of the entire MH line. I really wanted the SDCC Hexiciah .....but living in the UK I was never gonna see it in stores, sigh. Maybe one day I'll snag him on-line for a decent price.
There are many of shades of grey between black and white.

Offline monsteleon

• Stone Cold Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 08:10:06 AM »
I was also late to collecting Monster High and Ever After High, but I tried to grab as many as I could while I could still find them in stores AFTER I realized I loved them! 

I started collecting around the time Freak du Chic and some Gloom and Bloom dolls were still around.  Some Picture Day dolls were still in Targets in my area, and many of the Freaky fusion dolls were at Big Lots.  Unfortunately though, when I decided to start collecting MH, I wanted just one of each doll initially, so I started going through all the releases and choosing which version of each doll I wanted most.  I didn't necessarily want the signature version of each doll either.  The Frankie I chose was Ghouls' Rule, for instance, but as soon as I started unboxing the dolls, and I was also actively reading Toy Box Philosopher's blog, I was hooked!  Of course, I still didn't like the Freaky Fusion or Geek Shriek lines, which were also at my local Big Lots, so I passed them at the time.  Stupid, stupid, so stupid because Howleen was later difficult to find and much more expensive.  Oh well. I have them all now, so I guess that's the important thing.  ;)

Offline lilyflower332

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 04:02:57 PM »
I actually saw MH Cupid in-store. I was with my mom at the time and we used to enjoy looking at them together. I recall her telling me to save my money til next time, and that there would always be another. Ha! Never saw her since, but luckily scored on eBay later in life. My local walmart seems to never put the store-exclusive stickers on boxes, i'm not sure how. I was gifted the wolf family pack without knowing it was an exclusive for YEARS. I also missed out on swimsuit Holt and a the whole sweet screams line. TO be fair, I was quite young, and only rarely had money of my own.

Offline Cleoglyphics

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Desert Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 12:55:10 AM »
Music Class Cleo. G2 Dolls beyond electrified never made it to Australian stores.

I also regret not picking up Treesa when I lived in the UK.
Sugar, Spice and everything Feist!

Offline Konzern

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 06:31:34 AM »
I actually saw MH Cupid in-store. I was with my mom at the time and we used to enjoy looking at them together. I recall her telling me to save my money til next time, and that there would always be another. Ha! Never saw her since, but luckily scored on eBay later in life. My local walmart seems to never put the store-exclusive stickers on boxes, i'm not sure how. I was gifted the wolf family pack without knowing it was an exclusive for YEARS. I also missed out on swimsuit Holt and a the whole sweet screams line. TO be fair, I was quite young, and only rarely had money of my own.

I imagine we've all made mistakes throughout years of collecting.  My sister had both Cupids, and traded them for simple, cheap easier to get dolls, but she was happy with what she had received.

Offline lilyflower332

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 04:00:00 PM »
I also was at Kmart once and passed up Amanita Nightshade for....EQG dolls...

I had gotten a deluxe Fluttershy as a gift and she had decent articulation...i foolishly assumed all EQG dolls were the same. They were not. Large part of why i have such a dislike toward the brand...

Offline taffeta

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 09:09:10 AM »
I don't think I have any.

I might have wanted the other Gloom & Bloom dolls but the one I really wanted was Jin and she was the last MH doll I added to my collection, I think.

There's probably a version of Ghoulia - I think there is - but since I sold the rollerskater one and decided to sell the MIB Sweet Screams one, I'm not so fussed about having all versions of Ghoulia.

I was lucky to find a lot of the older ones I wanted at toy fairs for cheap prices when people were clearing out collections after the line more or less ended. I saw a MIB one at the boot sale yesterday (but it was Elle who I already have, and may sell, so I left her there).

I guess maybe the only regret is I <3 fashion Cleo, because she's very pretty and I am fairly sure I did see her once at a toy fair but passed her up because I already had a couple of Cleos and didn't realise at the time I wouldn't see her again.

But it's not a huge regret.
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間