collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

April 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

Author Topic: How would YOU reboot Monster High? Would you?  (Read 904 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
How would YOU reboot Monster High? Would you?
« on: February 05, 2019, 03:49:49 PM »
Monster High is pretty much dead. I don't like it, but I have to accept it; I only ever see dolls VERY rarely, and it's always Great Scarrier Reef stuff. I am going through eBay lots to watch out for Clawdia Wolf and Catty Noir dolls to either get again or get for redresses, plus some duvet covers and towels to decorate my home.

I never liked the look of G2, the clips I've seen of the two G2 movies put a bad taste in my mouth and I didn't really warm to the minis that much.

If YOU had the chance to reboot the series, with NO budget restraints, how would you do it?

Avatar Credit : Wookylee | Sig Credit : Seahawk270

MLP Gameloft Friend Code : 52b33c6 | MLPArena Account : Lady Frostbite

Offline Wynnegen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
Re: How would YOU reboot Monster High? Would you?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 06:29:09 AM »
I watched both G2 movies and I quite liked them, especially the first.

If I were to have Monster High back, I wouldn't mind it being G2. Minus the ridiculous budget dolls of course. Everybody would get decent articulation; Head, shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, and knees.

The faces in G2 for some characters worked; like Frankie, Draculaura and Cleo. Barring returning to their original faces, maybe redesigns for Clawdeen (she looked very tweenage) and Lagoona (to unbland her). I'd like to see Moanica come back too! I always really liked her sassy face and her clothes were pretty fun.

I'd want the G1 body back for the boys. I mean, the hero mould barely fits Ever After High where it originated from. All of the monstrous molded features took Monster High from 'fashion doll' to 'every character is their Monster self all the time'. Clawdeen's molded fur always bothered me and Cleo looked like she was battling some sort of swelling.

I'd like to have a story built around all of the more deluxe dolls. I saw the commercial for 13 Wishes the other day and it incorporated the main 13 Wishes Ghouls and the new in school/new look Ghouls. The other movies did something similar; every year felt like an event. Something like that would be nice.

Oh, I'd also like the original-style commercials back. They were always strangely forced but they really fit the franchise.

As for lines I'd like to see... a decent Travel line with everybody going to different places, another scary take on sweet themes and a really epic school dance line.

Offline Bre’sDollyFinds

• Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 01:14:16 PM »
If I had control over Monster High Generation 3, I would bring back the body molds and facial screening from G1, as well as creating more characters and making dolls of backgrounders/side characters who never got dolls, like Quill Talyntino, Seth Poothemy, Johnny Spirit, Gory, Bram, and Clawd's werewolf friends (especially the white werewolf guy).

Of course, the dolls aren't going to sell themselves, so for branding, of course there needs to be tv specials but since not everyone has cable these days, and parents might not buy a doll just because the character is in a tv special, I would want to also have live action movies that will appeal more to the teens/early 20s who grew up playing with the original monster high dolls, while still being appropriate for kids maybe 6/7/8 and up depending on how crazy their soccer mom parents are (though my age range is probably a little skewed because I started watching degrassi when I was only about 8/9 years old).

Definitely a lot more diverse characters, like the cancelled Russian Leshy and South African Lightning Bird dolls from Monster Exchange, plus if there's going to be a live action movie(s) that is more for teens/older tweens than kids, if anyone could do a transgender character doll subtly enough that parents that aren't crazy soccer moms would buy it for their kids, it would be monster high.

It would be easier to do a ftm tans character and adjust the body mold from there so it still represents what it does, it's just not as obvious to people who just look at the front of the box and not read the back when the grab it or haven't seen the movies. Add a few extra outfits included with that doll at the first release, and you still have something that will probably end up on Good Morning america or whatever, but something that will be appealing to certain consumers like collectors and teenage doll lovers and introduce new people to the doll line if it's done after a few releases so there's already enough base buyers it won't scare a lot of people away because they can just not buy that doll even if they can't keep quiet when they don't have nice things to say.

I would also like to do more travel lines, as well as more lines that are more inclusive with the characters including, seeing as Deuce has 6 dolls (counting the goofy Ghouls alive line), Clawd has 5, Jackson and Gil both only have 4 dolls, Holt and Invisibilly both have two, Heath, Manny and Neighthan all have one, and the new characters introduced in Monster Exchange/Brand-Boo Students only have one doll as well.

Of course, Monster High would also need more lines that aren't dancing/party, like 'Stomping Under the Moonlight' for a camping line coinciding with an eclipse, and classroom dolls with different characters, maybe a couple sets with teachers because you can't really play school without teachers, and for kids constantly having to pretend that Bloodgood has to act as the substitute teacher for whatever reason surely can't be fun, since Clawdia is pretty much the only older ghoul that has a good potential of being a guest speaker.

Tv special tie in lines could be from a Jane Boolittle original story tv special, and a college visit special with the og ghouls/mansters among other things.

Basically, at it's core, Monster High is not just a fashion doll line. It is one of few franchises with toys that teaches kids to embrace their flaws, that it's okay to be the weird kid or be friends with the weird kid, because people are supposed to be different from each other and not just stepford wives and mindless worker bees. The fashion doll part just helps kids get into it easier, because kids are always changing their interests, and there will always be a little kid who will be like 'look mommy! that doll has a tail! Can I have it for my birthday please?', not to mention kids attraction to glitter and the appeal of their dolls having more fashion options than just boring old plain clothes.

Not to mention the kids like me as a kid who grab it without asking first/sneak it in the cart and pull the face, whether it be a puppy face or pouty face.

I would just need someone like Wynnegen to help me with branding/commercials.

Though I would also want to release all the Create a Monster sets, especially the Mummy/Gorgon and Ice/Blob because those go for huge chunks of change on ebay so a lot of people can't get them, and release them with all the torsos/thighs/upper arms in the first place, the only add on packs without tosos would be the new add-on pack I would have with legs and lower arms for both the sea monster and dragon with removable fins for the adult collectors to have more options in dressing their dolls without mismatching skin tones, so the start pack ones would still have non-removable fins so there's a few less parts for little siblings to choke on.

*By crazy soccer moms I mean the ones who compared monster high dolls to bratz and complain about the short skirts/certain outfits and use nail polish or sharpies to give their kids barbie/whatever dolls bras and underwear, not trying to say being a soccer mom is bad, just some of them need to chill out a lot more.

And of course I would absolutely fix the dreaded glue head, collectors get mad because it ruins their dolls, and parents get mad because the toy shouldn't be sticky- I read of a review on Amazon where the mom took the dolls away from their kid and took the dolls to have the glue tested in a lab- I would have washed as much glue out as possible and restyle the hair to hide it and just instruct my kid not to touch the doll's hair if they were old enough to understand that.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:30:06 PM by Bre’sDollyFinds »
Curiosity didn't kill the cat, Schrodinger did.

Offline 8BrickMario

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 01:50:16 PM »
I'd push the monster angle even more so it didn't feel token. Every doll, even if they had additional facial details, was still a supermodel with a human face, and that kind of let down the whole "these are scary creatures and normal kids and that's cool" device they were using, both on the scary and normal sides. I'd also include more body diversity, which was oddly lacking for the franchise, and I'd make the heads smaller. I liked the spindly, almost Tim Burton vibe to the bodies, but I hate large heads in a more realistic aesthetic, so making them just a tiny bit smaller would be cool.
My photo thread:           My drawing thread:

Offline Wynnegen

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 09:33:16 PM »
Seconding Seth. As the main guy from a movie line I was both surprised and disappointed to see he didn't get a doll, considering how great Boo York was otherwise (Mercedes notwithstanding). I'd also love to get another Porter. Maybe some sort of translucent themed two back with Invisi-Billy.

If I were to really go blue sky, I'd totally love to see Monster High theatrical movies out every two years or so. I would also like to see a variation in body types (I mean, if Barbie of all people is all on board now I think Monster High can afford some too). I'd love to see more crimped hair ala Electrified somewhere, I always found it really fun.

If there were a trans doll, I'd literally drop whatever I was doing to go out and get them, and I can see lots of people who aren't even into dolls getting them.

I'd love a good camping line, it would be a good way to get some awesome spooked up 'roughing it' gear.  Another sports line would be a really fun addition too.

As for working together; I'd love to! I love tossing ideas around like this. Now if only Mattel would hire us...

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 04:52:46 PM »
I'm not sure how most fans would react but if I were to reboot MH it would be drastically different from G1 or G2. Right now toys are more about a YouTube friendly unboxing experience so I would make them into mini dolls with similar proportions to the vinyls but poseable with changeable clothes. And cute little stop motion shorts to advertise them. Basically take some cues from the wildly successful LOLs.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Wynnegen

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 09:10:52 PM »
Although this idea chills me to my very core as a doll fan, I can totally understand where you're coming from.

To be honest, I think the unboxing doll is a very limited market and that any budding franchises within it will collapse because of parental revolt against $15 bucks for what could essentially be a string of doubles. Right now we have:

L.O.L. : Doubtful this one will go away any time soon because it's the market leader and they've been very innovative with every new season. Confetti (with a new Boy character!), Spy Series (a plot that essentially encouraged kids to buy the most expensive toy in the line), Makeover Series with (as every ad screams) REAL HAIR.

Hairdorables: I don't see this line going very far. The surprises pale in comparison to L.O.L. but the boxes are very, very cool. Series 2 also didn't innovate in anyway aside from throwaway color change accessories and it didn't add any new characters. L.O.L. also barely repeats characters, so kids can paint whoever they want onto their doll, but Hairdorables has gone halfway in the direction with no strong media push to make the characters mainstays in kid's hearts either.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the line would need to innovate frequently and also basically steal the Hairdorables crown by having a strong media push like it used to have.

I would also curb the parental revolt dynamic by grouping the characters into "Clubs" like Hatchimals CollEGGtibles does. Have fifteen dolls and five clubs, so whilst you still have the surprise dynamic there's only a one in three chance of getting a double. It could even spark a whole new element to collector culture, with people looking out for those chase boxes.

Even in the case of doubles, I think it could be cool to have two or three different versions of the diary included with each character that describe a different event, each with a different holographic card backing (like a mix of the Ever After High bookmarks and the old-school Bratz collector cards). That'd make the disappointment of a third double sting a bit less, I think.

I'd like to see fashion packs ala L.O.L. Fashion Crush too (though it seems like that line has been discontinued) each with a few surprises. And of course if this were successful we'd see what a lot of MH fans have wanted for a while; almost all the pets in a new Monster High pets line.

As much as I love dolls, 12-inch is a hard scale to photograph and do an elaborate set-up for, you have to have quite a bit of space to pull it off. This way we'd have more limited articulation (though for goodness sakes action figures have decent arms at 6-inch scale so give us at least an elbow joint!) the level of imagination for those of us with a bit less free space to work with would go through the roof!

Plus, Mattel seems to be ignoring blind-items after My Mini Mixie Q's and whilst long term it could prevent being stuck with lots of stock nobody wants (though that already happened with a bunch of the unarticulated Ever After High dolls) it might hurt them enough in the short term to really damage them financially for said long-term prospects. Barbie on the Go and new Polly Pocket were yet more swings and misses (Polly Pocket was beyond perfect for blind-packaging and she got none!) so they really need to get on the wagon for at least as long as YouTube is around affecting how kids buy toys.

Offline taffeta

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 04:08:47 PM »
I wouldn't reboot it (as that is a question in the thread title xD). I would let it die out and disappear. I would only consider reviving it/rebooting it after a good ten years or so had passed, and then only if there's a market for it.

Toy lines are ruined by overexposure. You can't constantly run over a great toy concept trying to squeeze extra money out of it, as Mattel has just found out. I think a lot of reboot ideas at present are actually unrequited wishes from the G1 line that were never really dealt with (like Seth), rather than an actual reboot. A reboot should reinvent a line in a new way that is not inferior to the previous, but without being haunted by the ghost of what came before.

G1 ended. There's a grieving process for that. After that comes the ideas for a reboot, but not before.

I'm speaking in a sense as a G1 pony collector, who's had years to get used to the idea of G1 not happening any more...and new pony generations being completely different. I'm frankly offended by the G5 ideas being so close to G4, so I would feel very strongly about MH not falling into this trap. I don't really see the reboot MH as G2, only it's what people call them - they're barely half a reboot, because it isn't new enough, but is too new to be as popular.

So yeah. I wouldn't reboot it. Not until there's been enough time passed to make a new MH line without the hangups of what went before and what was left out. A reboot isn't designed to fill in the G1 gaps Mattel didn't cover. It's meant as a complete reinvention, and I think right now it's too close to the original for that to happen.
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 10:56:27 PM »
At this point, I probably wouldn't reboot it. Fashion doll lines aren't going very well, from what I can see at the local toy shops. Their shelf space just keeps shrinking.

If anything, I'd be more likely to go back in time and expand on the higher-end dolls from G1, to gear the franchise more towards being a collectable line rather than a play line, with more luxurious packaging, more detailed costuming, better QC, and more carefully selected themes. Collaboration dolls like the Zomby Gaga doll would also probably be a key feature, just to generate revenue with various fan bases. Barbie has done it with great success for decades, and that release in particular had a lot of really nice details in it.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 12:07:55 AM »
I wouldn't reboot it (as that is a question in the thread title xD). I would let it die out and disappear. I would only consider reviving it/rebooting it after a good ten years or so had passed, and then only if there's a market for it.

Toy lines are ruined by overexposure. You can't constantly run over a great toy concept trying to squeeze extra money out of it, as Mattel has just found out. I think a lot of reboot ideas at present are actually unrequited wishes from the G1 line that were never really dealt with (like Seth), rather than an actual reboot. A reboot should reinvent a line in a new way that is not inferior to the previous, but without being haunted by the ghost of what came before.

G1 ended. There's a grieving process for that. After that comes the ideas for a reboot, but not before.

I'm speaking in a sense as a G1 pony collector, who's had years to get used to the idea of G1 not happening any more...and new pony generations being completely different. I'm frankly offended by the G5 ideas being so close to G4, so I would feel very strongly about MH not falling into this trap. I don't really see the reboot MH as G2, only it's what people call them - they're barely half a reboot, because it isn't new enough, but is too new to be as popular.

So yeah. I wouldn't reboot it. Not until there's been enough time passed to make a new MH line without the hangups of what went before and what was left out. A reboot isn't designed to fill in the G1 gaps Mattel didn't cover. It's meant as a complete reinvention, and I think right now it's too close to the original for that to happen.

I do agree that there should be some time before they reboot it. They waited a few years to reboot Polly Pocket after all. Ten years however might be a bit much imho.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Recently Deceased
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 10:02:48 PM »
     In my opinion, assuming I have no budget problems or constrains of any kind, and assuming there is a market and it will sell, is wait a few years to reboot myself. There should be a noticeable span of time between generations, if you ask me. At least five years minimum.
     In terms of the reboot itself, I’d like to see more animations. I enjoyed at animations growing up, and feel that with a good cast of characters and writers, plus a superb animation studio would do wonders. I’m interested in animation, and I’d probably want a good show or movie to help sell good quality toys.
     In toys, I’d want more good quality dolls with more diversity. The current lineup is okay, but I dunno...the abundance of ghosts or zombies kinda bugs me. “Oh look, there’s yet another ghostly ghoul. Where’s all my gorgons or vampires at?”. My problem isn’t with zombies or ghosts themselves, but more of the lack of other characters. I would want some more monsters of other kinds. Perhaps some based on urban legends and myths. Also, make higher quality clothing and dolls with less...what they’ve done faces. I like the old ones much better.

Offline Fantoma

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 07:33:42 AM »
Let's call it G3.
I'd update the facemolds & makeup. Keep what worked best for the characters from G1 while eliminating the worst aspects. Same thing for the bodies. I never bought any of the G2 dolls but some people told me the bodies were better. So I might take that into consideration for G3. All dolls, regardless of characters, would have thick and firmly rooted hair, that would be silky smooth & shiny, like Maul Monsterista Spectra from G1, for exemple. No more glue seepage and no more bald spot. More solid joints for arms, hans and legs, without any gaps. More fashion packs, but with better designs and much better quality material. No more cheap, budget lines. More diversity among the ghouls selected for each line. I'd even have high quality, deluxe lines, in which the main 6 core characters would not be involved at all, so that way, more secondary characters could have a real time in the spotlight. Much less vampires and werewolves and instead, I'd have more ghosts. Certain characters, in doll forms, would have the right body to fit their animated version. For exemple, Abbey would have the big sister body, and Draculaura would have the little sister body. I'd bring back beloved characters who disappeared, like Spectra, Operetta, Jinafire, Skelita, Viperine, & Honey, just to name a few. I'd also bring back some one-time characters, as they showed potential the first time around, like Marisol Coxi, Casta Fierce, Vandala Doubloons, Kiyomi Haunterly, Porter Geiss & River Styxx, just to name those, while some other characters, who failed to make a strong and solid impression, would immediately be eliminated forever, like Silvi Timberwolf, Batsy Claro, Isi Dawndancer, Kjersti Trollson, Mouscedes King, Luna Mothews, Astra Nova, Dayna Treasura Jones and the hyper-irritating & ridiculous Ari Hauntington . I'd also give more personality to some characters, so we can relate more to them, like Venus, Rochelle, Catrine, Catty... you know, those who are a bit too sweet and soft-hearted. Give them more spunk. Put more focus on characters which we did not see enough of, like Iris Clops, Johnny Spirit & Wydowna Spyder. I'd also created an animated cartoon TV series, that would air every Saturday mornings, with each episodes being done in the 22 minutes format. Each new characters and each new doll lines would have to be relevant to Monster High, so no more fairy-tale like characters or doll lines.

"I don't snoop in your unlife, so please don't snoop in mine" :ghost:

Offline RochelleGoyleFanatic

• Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 08:03:36 AM »
I would re-start it with a more grown up Howleen being the main ghoul, then follow up with Twyla, and perhaps Lorna, Moucedes, River, Kjersti, ect then just create all new characters. The generation one ghouls are kind of done to death but seeing them pop up every now and again as older ghouls would be nice too.

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 09:01:34 AM »
What an interesting thread & idea!! Thanks for posting, it's always nice to have some 'outta the box' brain stretching...

I like some combination of the below concepts - literally go with the 'next generation' and have the younger characters take center stage. The older core Ghouls and Mansters are around, but they've gone on to college or ???

And to have better quality, even if it means dolls are more collectible and less play-oriented (even though higher prices would be the likely result). I just marvel over the creativity and originality present in the G1 dolls and gear. Collaboration dolls like Zomby Gaga (LOVE!) would be great, although I'm not sure that worked so well with Ari Hauntington, so I guess the collaboration has to be a good fit for the brand?

By going with the younger characters and the passage of time, we get a whole new pool of friends and supporting characters to go with the new young generation! And they get to have all new adventures and interests in the animated media - we wouldn't be limited by Clawdeen's interest in fashion, for example. Love the idea of a weekly Saturday morning cartoon, if budget is no constraint. New characters = new voice actors, with the original voice actors coming in as supporting roles & cameos.

ADORE the idea of a camping under the Lunar Eclipse adventure!!! And yes, would love to see a trans character.

Yes! Fix glue-seepage issues!!! Nice quality hair!! And sturdy, articulated bodies for all!!

Another idea (that other franchises have embraced) is a prequel approach - what were the core MH characters doing BEFORE they got to Monster High?

I would re-start it with a more grown up Howleen being the main ghoul, then follow up with Twyla, and perhaps Lorna, Moucedes, River, Kjersti, ect then just create all new characters. The generation one ghouls are kind of done to death but seeing them pop up every now and again as older ghouls would be nice too.

At this point, I probably wouldn't reboot it. Fashion doll lines aren't going very well, from what I can see at the local toy shops. Their shelf space just keeps shrinking.

If anything, I'd be more likely to go back in time and expand on the higher-end dolls from G1, to gear the franchise more towards being a collectable line rather than a play line, with more luxurious packaging, more detailed costuming, better QC, and more carefully selected themes. Collaboration dolls like the Zomby Gaga doll would also probably be a key feature, just to generate revenue with various fan bases. Barbie has done it with great success for decades, and that release in particular had a lot of really nice details in it.

"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline 8BrickMario

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 11:05:15 AM »
Collaboration dolls like Zomby Gaga (LOVE!) would be great, although I'm not sure that worked so well with Ari Hauntington, so I guess the collaboration has to be a good fit for the brand?
In what way was Ari Hauntington a collaboration doll? She was an original character that was solely Mattel's intellectual property, and had multiple releases as a cast member.
My photo thread:           My drawing thread:

Offline Fantoma

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 04:34:53 AM »
The hyper-boring Ari Hauntington was never a collaboration doll. She was simply a huge mistake on the MS designers' part. What were they thinking, trying to replace Spectra with that lousy cheap ghost wannabe? Tsk, tsk! Shame on them!
"I don't snoop in your unlife, so please don't snoop in mine" :ghost:

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 10:56:02 AM »
The hyper-boring Ari Hauntington was never a collaboration doll. She was simply a huge mistake on the MS designers' part. What were they thinking, trying to replace Spectra with that lousy cheap ghost wannabe? Tsk, tsk! Shame on them!

:haha: :haha:

I would have mind her much if she were another ghost instead of a Spectra reboot.

Moanica I also like, though I can never see her as a Ghoulia substitute. I think Frankie absorbed Ghoulia's nerdy role more than Moanica could absorbe the zombie role, but Moanica was fun
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr