collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 44
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

March 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Modifying Animal Ears  (Read 444 times)

Offline Sweet Bats

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Modifying Animal Ears
« on: January 08, 2019, 03:18:30 PM »
I wanted to alter the shape of Catrine’s ears and was curious if anyone had success with projects of that nature. Ideally, I’d get the ears to look like those of a Scottish Fold, but was unsure if a heat gun would yield good results (without impacting the rest of the head) or if it would be best to just make new ears out of something else and cut off the old ones. Thanks for any suggestions!

Offline Ameyal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Modifying Animal Ears
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 08:49:37 PM »
Anyone I have seen trying this has remade the ears from some other material, like Dollightful here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v4oRlqE7TY

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 07:36:02 AM »
The ears that come with the Nocturnal CAM add-on pack are sorta Scottish Fold-y, maybe you could try those?

(no matter how you do it, I wanna see the final result! Sounds cute! :3)

Offline Sweet Bats

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:52:56 PM »
I’ve definitely seen Dollightful’s video on it, I’m mostly worried about my color-matching abilities so I was hoping to use the original ears if at all possible (Catrine is going to be my first victim, so I don’t think it’ll be an issue getting it to match!) I did try using the back and side of a straightener to apply heat and force it down, but it ended up melting the doll a little, even with my efforts to protect it, oops!

I cut the ears off and am hoping to secure them in the folded position with wire, fill in the gaps with clay/apoxie sculpt/something, and smooth and color everything for a seamless transition.

Offline Bre’sDollyFinds

• Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 12:34:41 PM »
If you do want to try and reshape ears for another project, without cutting them off and replacing them I know it's too late now but for reference for you and anyone else, putting the head in a plastic bag and then dipping it in hot water may heat up the ears enough to bend then a little bit, since that method helps soften the vinyl so the head can be removed easier, and you can reshape hands by dipping them in hot enough water.

The hair straighter was probably too hot of a tool, and a heat gun seems like it would be too hot as well.

I figure that there may be someone who already has customising supplies but can't afford/doesn't have access to apoxie sculpt, and I don't want them accidently burning themselves, since hot water it hot enough when I was pouring it into a neckhole to melt the dreaded glue so I could removed the hair plugs- and then the next day the head mysteriously disappeared either because of a cat or a demon and neither I nor my mom can find it.
Curiosity didn't kill the cat, Schrodinger did.

Offline Sweet Bats

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 01:11:43 PM »
I’ve seen people use heat guns to reshape feet, but given it’s a different material than the head, it might not work. I was hoping it might if settings were changed around and timing was worked out. Thanks for the tip! I’ll keep it in mind for the future, and I know I have dolls with wonky hands that need fixing.

Offline Bre’sDollyFinds

• Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 02:16:29 PM »
I don't have a heat gun but given what I know about tools that produce heat is it's more of a temperature range, and the feet are made of abs plastic like the bodies, which is more heat resistant given that 3d printers that can use it as a filament are way more expensive- I was looking up prices of 3d printers because our library has one but we're moving soon.

Either way, a scottish fold werecat sounds adorable. I want to do a calico werecat once I can finally get my own supplies for customizing, and maybe eventually challenge myself by doing the stripe pattern from the tabby cat cat we have on a doll (said cat is a petsy furball who has to eat or lick everything).
Curiosity didn't kill the cat, Schrodinger did.