collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Author Topic: Sewing machine eating fabric, help?  (Read 104 times)

Online Sweet Bats

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Sewing machine eating fabric, help?
« on: December 05, 2018, 08:23:01 PM »
So as the title states, my sewing machine is eating my fabric and Iíve had to resort to handstitching doll outfits. It seems to only be fabrics with stretch in them, the jeans I sewed were fine, but the jacket I made with a knit fabric was constantly eaten. Iíve looked for tips online and followed them as much as I could, like I switched to a straight stitch presser foot and I got some tissue paper to put under the fabric, then I tried with a beanie later (a kind of stretchy polyester I think?) and it was good for a few slow stitches and then one random stitch caused the whole machine to go crazy and lock up, ruining the fabric. I figured Iíd ask for assistance in here since tips would be more specialized for small scale sewing. Thanks for any advice!
Etsy - Custom Dolls - Customs Thread - Resource: Blank Doll Heads
Formerly known as Simply Indescribable

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
Re: Sewing machine eating fabric, help?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:31:33 PM »
You probably also need to swap your needle. Stretch fabrics require a ball needle instead of a point. The points of a regular needle can snag on the knits instead of cutting through, which pushes them into your feed dog. A ball needle will slide into the gaps in the stretch/knit material, instead.

Online Sweet Bats

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Sewing machine eating fabric, help?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 11:58:39 PM »
You probably also need to swap your needle. Stretch fabrics require a ball needle instead of a point. The points of a regular needle can snag on the knits instead of cutting through, which pushes them into your feed dog. A ball needle will slide into the gaps in the stretch/knit material, instead.

Oh thank you! Thatís not anything that would have crossed my mind. I should be near a Joann on Friday and Iíll grab some then.
Etsy - Custom Dolls - Customs Thread - Resource: Blank Doll Heads
Formerly known as Simply Indescribable