collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Dolly blues  (Read 168 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
Dolly blues
« on: November 01, 2018, 08:10:59 PM »
Before MH I had little interest in fashion dolls. The only dolls I collected were small dolls like SSC. Then MH came along and it was colorful and fun and just so different from any fashion dolls that came before. And while MH was out I was happy as a clam. Not only because MH but because all the other similarly colorful playline dolls that came out.

Now fast forward to today and while I'm loving all the fun small dolls out there I can't help but say I feel bored with current playline fashion dolls. I want to like the new Equestria Girls but all I see are the basic Mane 6 and I prefer more over the top looks. The DC and Marvel doll lines are great too but neither one has had a line that was over the top enough yet. Even the Dollar store dolls have become bland. Anyone else?
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline RenegadeAngel

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Creeperific
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: Dolly blues
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 09:21:02 PM »
Same. Other than a few new Shibajuku Girls, I have zero interest in current playline offerings. I miss all the excitement, the hunt, and the deals! I've been focusing on BJDs these days instead, but it's not as fun.

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 09:07:36 AM »
Both of our grandmothers collected porcelain dolls, and always tried to get my sister and into it but we never liked them.  They're just there and blank faced and not appealing to us.  I would occasionally buy Barbies before Monster High, but I was never a big Barbie collector, I would just get ones I liked. 

Monster High definitely changed that, with their unique looks and awesome clothes and many, many joints.  I don't recall every having seen a doll like that before, though I had heard of ball joint dolls but I never looked into them because they were far too expensive. 

It also got my sister and I accustomed to going to the toy aisles of stores and looking more instead of just browsing to waste time as everyone else shopped.  But now the toy aisles are definitely a shell of what they were a few years ago.  Our Shoppies section is vanishing, though my sister isn't near as interested in them as she was.  Enchantimals have a small section, as does Boxy Girls and a few Descendants.  For the most part, our doll aisle as it was is no more.  It's mostly Barbie, Calico Critters, and the Harry Potter merchandise and dolls.  I'm not sure it's just dolls, toys in general just aren't doing much of anything.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 02:34:59 PM »
Yeah, same here. Only current doll line that I'm really interested in is Enchantimals, and it feels like they're being released much slower than MH were back in the day.. or maybe I'm just impatient. :P I miss being able to have a good hunt through the doll section.

Most of my doll money's been going to Petworks' anthro dolls lately. They're adorable, even if they are kinda pricey sometimes.

Offline Wardah

• Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 03:22:40 PM »
Both of our grandmothers collected porcelain dolls, and always tried to get my sister and into it but we never liked them.  They're just there and blank faced and not appealing to us.  I would occasionally buy Barbies before Monster High, but I was never a big Barbie collector, I would just get ones I liked. 

Monster High definitely changed that, with their unique looks and awesome clothes and many, many joints.  I don't recall every having seen a doll like that before, though I had heard of ball joint dolls but I never looked into them because they were far too expensive. 

It also got my sister and I accustomed to going to the toy aisles of stores and looking more instead of just browsing to waste time as everyone else shopped.  But now the toy aisles are definitely a shell of what they were a few years ago.  Our Shoppies section is vanishing, though my sister isn't near as interested in them as she was.  Enchantimals have a small section, as does Boxy Girls and a few Descendants.  For the most part, our doll aisle as it was is no more.  It's mostly Barbie, Calico Critters, and the Harry Potter merchandise and dolls.  I'm not sure it's just dolls, toys in general just aren't doing much of anything.

Surprise toys and interactive pets are really what's popular right now. I know because I actively collect a few lines and when they first come out they often sell out fast.
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Konzern

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 04:02:38 PM »

Surprise toys and interactive pets are really what's popular right now. I know because I actively collect a few lines and when they first come out they often sell out fast.

Even the blind bag interest seems to be waning though, at least around here.  They don't zoom off the shelf nearly as fast.  I don't even think the Hairdorables have been touched, but then they're far too costly for a complete mystery.  I think the only thing that's been noticeably bought are the mystery Harry Potter wands and Polly Pocket.

Offline Wardah

• Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 04:30:15 PM »

Even the blind bag interest seems to be waning though, at least around here.  They don't zoom off the shelf nearly as fast.  I don't even think the Hairdorables have been touched, but then they're far too costly for a complete mystery.  I think the only thing that's been noticeably bought are the mystery Harry Potter wands and Polly Pocket.

The TRU liquidation didn't help things either. A lot of parents bought stuff on the cheap to stockpile it away. I think it might be a rough year for toys.

Offline Konzern

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 07:05:04 PM »

The TRU liquidation didn't help things either. A lot of parents bought stuff on the cheap to stockpile it away. I think it might be a rough year for toys.

Hadn't thought of that, though I don't know how many people from here went to the one in Tallahassee when it closed.  I wouldn't be surprised if many people made the trip, though.  People do love deals, after all.