collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

October 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Promo pics!  (Read 686 times)

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Promo pics!
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 11:46:52 AM »
When they couldn't even released a cheap Getting Fairest and reused fabric (Farrah only has two dolls and you're doing that...), you know they mismanaged this property.

It's still a prettier Farrah than her sig.

Honestly the whole EAH situation reminds me a lot of what I've read happened with Jem back in the 80s. Like Jem, EAH was pricier than what else was currently on the market and failed to catch on. Like Jem, EAH had a well written animated series that was probably more popular than the actual dolls. And, like Jem, EAH was stymied by efforts from their main competitor using well known characters, in this case ironically Hasbro with Disney Descendants.

I wonder if like 20 years later Mattel will put out some collector dolls (Since Mattel does their own collector dolls unlike Hasbro who refuses to tap that market so they had Integrity do them instead) to cash in on the nostalgia and also try to release a really bad live action movie that has little to do with the original premise. Well at least one thing I hope for is that with all the talented customizers in the community we will at least see the prototypes come to life sooner rather than later.

I wasn't around then, I always had the impression that Jem was fairly popular! But this is a time where Nostalgia is Cool so ... wow.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 06:33:02 PM »
When they couldn't even released a cheap Getting Fairest and reused fabric (Farrah only has two dolls and you're doing that...), you know they mismanaged this property.

Honestly the whole EAH situation reminds me a lot of what I've read happened with Jem back in the 80s. Like Jem, EAH was pricier than what else was currently on the market and failed to catch on. Like Jem, EAH had a well written animated series that was probably more popular than the actual dolls. And, like Jem, EAH was stymied by efforts from their main competitor using well known characters, in this case ironically Hasbro with Disney Descendants.

I wonder if like 20 years later Mattel will put out some collector dolls (Since Mattel does their own collector dolls unlike Hasbro who refuses to tap that market so they had Integrity do them instead) to cash in on the nostalgia and also try to release a really bad live action movie that has little to do with the original premise. Well at least one thing I hope for is that with all the talented customizers in the community we will at least see the prototypes come to life sooner rather than later.

I wasn't around then, I always had the impression that Jem was fairly popular! But this is a time where Nostalgia is Cool so ... wow.

No I'm with you.  And I was around then.
I was a huge Jem fan as a kid.  Had several dolls, watched the cartoon.  I always believed that it was big in its day.  It sure seemed that way. :huh:

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline WinterwolfR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fearleader
  • I love purple!
    • View Profile
    • LnRworks shop
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2018, 05:23:04 PM »
Holly and farrah look good but the rest are kinda :yucky:
Mattel could have so much with eah if they didn't hate good quality dolls.
At LnRworks I sell doll clothes, dolls, earrings, baby clothes and tote bags. Plus shipping for doll clothes and earrings start at $2.50! https://www.storenvy.com/stores/736707-lnrworks

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 11:20:19 AM »

No I'm with you.  And I was around then.
I was a huge Jem fan as a kid.  Had several dolls, watched the cartoon.  I always believed that it was big in its day.  It sure seemed that way. :huh:

Documents released later speak otherwise. Even if they were selling it wasn't enough so they pulled the plug after the second year. Jem was more expensive since they had those light up earrings and were a weird size that couldn't share clothes with other fashion dolls. Hasbro had expectations for Jem that they obviously failed to meet, especially after Mattel released their own rock star themed line. Modest sales from a small but dedicated fanbase are unfortunately not what keeps a brand alive. EAH never made the kind of numbers MH did in it's prime so Mattel decided it wasn't worth it to continue.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »
Documents released later speak otherwise. Even if they were selling it wasn't enough so they pulled the plug after the second year. Jem was more expensive since they had those light up earrings and were a weird size that couldn't share clothes with other fashion dolls. Hasbro had expectations for Jem that they obviously failed to meet, especially after Mattel released their own rock star themed line. Modest sales from a small but dedicated fanbase are unfortunately not what keeps a brand alive. EAH never made the kind of numbers MH did in it's prime so Mattel decided it wasn't worth it to continue.

Yeah I know all about Barbie and the Rockers and how Mattel released the line simply to squash Jem.  I just thought that Jem was pretty popular in its day.  I mean I was under the impression that the whole reason that Mattel felt threatened enough to create BatR was because Jem looked poised to steal sales from them.

And I don't think that anyone was arguing that a small dedicated fanbase can keep a brand alive.  In fact it's been regularly stated here that it absolutely cannot, as is evident by the failure of both EAH and MH despite the loyal adult fanbase.  When the kiddos lose interest that's basically it.
I wasn't talking about Jem now.  I know that Jem isn't big now.  I meant that when I was a kid it seemed like the line was quite popular.  At least to me.  So because I, as a child, perceived it as being very popular at the time, I continued to carry that perception even into adulthood (that in its heyday Jem was popular).
Even the attempted Jem film a few years ago seemed to indicate that the line was popular enough at one time for Hasbro to try and make some dough off of it again. :shrug:
Now granted, a reboot or revival doesn't always indicate that a franchise was once a top seller.  But generally studios and manufacturers are not going to try and bring back something that was a commercial failure the first time around.

Please understand, I'm not arguing that Jem was a popular or selling well in its day.  I'm just saying that as a kid I thought that it was.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 01:08:35 PM by SaelaVe »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »

Yeah I know all about Barbie and the Rockers and how Mattel released the line simply to squash Jem.  I just thought that Jem was pretty popular in its day.  I mean I was under the impression that the whole reason that Mattel felt threatened enough to create BatR was because Jem looked poised to steal sales from them.

And I don't think that anyone was arguing that a small dedicated fanbase can keep a brand alive.  In fact it's been regularly stated here that it absolutely cannot, as is evident by the failure of both EAH and MH despite the loyal adult fanbase.  When the kiddos lose interest that's basically it.
I wasn't talking about Jem now.  I know that Jem isn't big now.  I meant that when I was a kid it seemed like the line was quite popular.  At least to me.  So because I, as a child, perceived it as being very popular at the time, I continued to carry that perception even into adulthood (that in its heyday Jem was popular).
Even the attempted Jem film a few years ago seemed to indicate that the line was popular enough at one time for Hasbro to try and make some dough off of it again. :shrug:
Now granted, a reboot or revival doesn't always indicate that a franchise was once a top seller.  But generally studios and manufacturers are not going to try and bring back something that was a commercial failure the first time around.

Please understand, I'm not arguing that Jem was a popular or selling well in its day.  I'm just saying that as a kid I thought that it was.

The show itself did really well in the ratings. Those ratings just unfortunately didn't translate to doll sales. Which was another parallel since the EAH books and specials were more popular than the dolls.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2018, 07:10:02 PM »
Isn't it amazing what childhood perspective can do? I felt the same way about some of the things I liked at that age, but when I mention them to friends, they blank. I know so many people who didn't know She-Ra, but know He-Man vaguely. Or people who didn't know Lady Lovely Locks at all, when that seemed like a massive phenomenon to me (my friend had all the dolls, I was crazy jealous).

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2018, 11:43:48 PM »
Isn't it amazing what childhood perspective can do? I felt the same way about some of the things I liked at that age, but when I mention them to friends, they blank. I know so many people who didn't know She-Ra, but know He-Man vaguely. Or people who didn't know Lady Lovely Locks at all, when that seemed like a massive phenomenon to me (my friend had all the dolls, I was crazy jealous).

Absolutely!
It's like Cherry Merry Muffin dolls.  I was obsessed with those as a kid!  And I would've sworn that everyone was as obsessed with them as I was.  But nope.  Turns out they were only produced for two years. :huh:  Evidently next to no one was obsessed with Cherry Merry Muffin. XD

Offline DEStokes

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • MIB Collector
  • Beast Friend Forever After
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2018, 06:49:20 AM »

Absolutely!
It's like Cherry Merry Muffin dolls.  I was obsessed with those as a kid!  And I would've sworn that everyone was as obsessed with them as I was.  But nope.  Turns out they were only produced for two years. :huh:  Evidently next to no one was obsessed with Cherry Merry Muffin. XD

I was!  Also Rose-Petal Place.  They released 6 dolls (and a villain) along with the first movie.  They made 6 more prototypes to go with the second movie but the line was scrapped. 

I never had any of the Jem dolls, but I do remember (to me at least) the series being very popular.

Barbie has been Queen for as long as I can remember.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 07:24:45 PM »

Absolutely!

I was!  Also Rose-Petal Place.  They released 6 dolls (and a villain) along with the first movie.  They made 6 more prototypes to go with the second movie but the line was scrapped. 

I never had any of the Jem dolls, but I do remember (to me at least) the series being very popular.

Barbie has been Queen for as long as I can remember.

Yes, another Cherry Merry Muffin fan! :D
Man I wish I still had those dolls. :cry: