collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Author Topic: Toys R Us Might Just Be Back  (Read 580 times)

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Toys R Us Might Just Be Back
« on: October 02, 2018, 04:57:57 PM »
In a bankruptcy court filing Monday, the funds said they had canceled a plan to auction off the company’s intellectual property. Instead, they are seeking to reorganize the assets into a new company that will maintain the current license agreements and can invest in new retail operating businesses.

You know, I missed TRU more than I thought I would. So this is nice.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/toys-%E2%80%98r%E2%80%99-us-lenders-plan-brand-revival/ar-BBNOFmF?OCID=ansmsnnews11
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
Re: Toys R Us Might Just Be Back
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 06:25:22 PM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Just saw this on news! Would be nice.

Maybe the plan all along?! My TRU still has signage up, is a PRIME and visible location.

And wouldn't it be interesting if MH Ghostly Tea and Howling Hoodies dolls were released to coincide with TRU reboot?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 06:32:31 PM by DogMom »
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Tadsaur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Create a Monster
  • I am a Tadasaurus~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 06:36:27 PM »
Yes please........ I've missed it so....very....much.....

Although I don't see much hope for my particular TRU.  Even before it was announced that they were shutting down I was worried about it since it was in a kinda sad, semi-abandoned part of town and the parking lot was usually empty for it and all of the nearby stores.

So hopefully it reopens in a better spot around here?

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 11:14:35 PM »
Oh wow!  Well that is certainly interesting.
I know my daughter sure will be happy if they return.  She tells me all the time how much she misses TRU.

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 06:18:09 AM »
I hope they do return.  IMO, I felt the closing of *all* its US stores was a mistake, and seemed more like they were cutting off their noses to save face, if you know what I mean. ;)   

I see Walmart is trying to fill part of the void left by TRU.
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 07:22:44 AM »
Oh, that sounds promising! I hope they make a comeback in the UK, too - mine still has all the signage, etc up, too.

I miss TRU.

Offline RodimusKnight

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 07:46:36 AM »
I mean lets be honest, the people who ran Toys R Us into the ground, may now want to bring it back, isn't that pretty much what they are saying here?
Sell it off give someone else a chance to run it, they've already shown they couldn't.

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 08:56:23 AM »
I mean lets be honest, the people who ran Toys R Us into the ground, may now want to bring it back, isn't that pretty much what they are saying here?
Sell it off give someone else a chance to run it, they've already shown they couldn't.

It's "No one paid us enough to actually make it worth selling so let's try again".
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 09:02:04 AM »

They already sold it off. And it wasn't so much run into the ground as saddled with a lot of high interest debt. They made operating profit but it wasn't enough to pay off the debt. Anyways I wouldn't read into this as them reopening physical stores. They might pull a Circuit City and only exist online.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 10:23:07 AM »
Anyways I wouldn't read into this as them reopening physical stores. They might pull a Circuit City and only exist online.

I kind of thought that, too.  The line about investing in "new retail operating businesses" seemed to me like they won't be returning in the exact same manner as before.
Maybe they'll turn into an online-only store, maybe they'll have physical stores but in far fewer locations than before, or maybe there won't be any stores at all.  Maybe they'll try to create TRU products of some sort.

The article just says that they're keeping and planning on reusing TRU's intellectual properties.  So, the names Toys R Us, Babies R Us, Geoffrey the Giraffe, etc.. 
They won't be reusing any of the old stores or distribution centers (unless they buy them back) because they sold all of those already.

And yeah.  Like Wardah said, the old TRU company is gone.  They completely liquidated and their lenders gained their IPs in the bankruptcy deal.  So the people who are now controlling TRU's assets are not the same people from before. 
And that's what they have right now: the assets.  The rights to TRU's names.

I'm interested to see what they do with them.  Being that TRU is now under the control of business lenders, I think whatever they do will likely be a hell of a lot more financially sound than what TRU was doing before.

Offline smileshy22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Keep on smiling! ☺
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 02:46:32 PM »
I hope they return soon for the 2019 Christmas season (maybe even 2020 if they want to make it special).  :biggrin: A few TRUs have been turned into Spirit Halloween stores, which is nice, but I still miss TRU being there.

Offline RenegadeAngel

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Creeperific
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 11:15:35 AM »
I miss TRU a lot. The few sparse toy aisles in Walmart/Target are just not the same as walking through a real toy store. So I hope they will come back physically in some capacity.

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 06:36:22 PM »
Anyways I wouldn't read into this as them reopening physical stores. They might pull a Circuit City and only exist online.

I kind of thought that, too.  The line about investing in "new retail operating businesses" seemed to me like they won't be returning in the exact same manner as before.
Maybe they'll turn into an online-only store, maybe they'll have physical stores but in far fewer locations than before, or maybe there won't be any stores at all.  Maybe they'll try to create TRU products of some sort.

The article just says that they're keeping and planning on reusing TRU's intellectual properties.  So, the names Toys R Us, Babies R Us, Geoffrey the Giraffe, etc.. 
They won't be reusing any of the old stores or distribution centers (unless they buy them back) because they sold all of those already.

And yeah.  Like Wardah said, the old TRU company is gone.  They completely liquidated and their lenders gained their IPs in the bankruptcy deal.  So the people who are now controlling TRU's assets are not the same people from before. 

I'm interested to see what they do with them.  Being that TRU is now under the control of business lenders, I think whatever they do will likely be a hell of a lot more financially sound than what TRU was doing before.

If they do shift to online only, I hope they hire proper developers for it. Their old sites were such a pain in the neck to deal with.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 08:22:13 PM »

If they do shift to online only, I hope they hire proper developers for it. Their old sites were such a pain in the neck to deal with.

Completely agree.  I always hated shopping from their online store.