collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Let's See Pics - Houses & Furniture! Rooms!  (Read 257 times)

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
Let's See Pics - Houses & Furniture! Rooms!
« on: September 23, 2018, 05:40:33 AM »
Have you made a room box for your dolls? Or furniture? Or maybe you've purchased something, whether a custom chair or a Barbie sofa or a doll-scale lamp….show us pics!

Everyone is welcome to post. Work in progress (WIP) pics also welcome!!  :biggrin:
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
Re: Let's See Pics - Houses & Furniture! Rooms!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 02:23:30 PM »
Several Youtubers have inspired me to make beds and rooms inspired by specific dolls: Chad Alan, HeXtian, My Froggy Stuff, and, my personal favorite, Dolls, Toys, and Games Gal. The basic idea for beds is to take a foam block, cover it with fabric and trim, create a headboard and foot-board, hot glue that together, and then sew a pillow and blanket. As far as rooms go, I don't make the traditional room box due to limited space. Instead, I have four stack-able shelves that I decorate. I attach the wallpaper and floors, as well as windows and curtains, to foam board, then attach them to the shelves with Velcro. That way, I can switch them out for different displays.

I've been doing this for about three or four years now, and have beds for Monster High's Rochelle Goyle, Casta Fierce, Skelita Calaveras, Wydowna Spider, Clawdia Wolf and EAH C.A. Cupid (though I guess her bed could double for MH) Farrah Goodfairy, Raven Queen, and Apple White. Then, I have rooms for Clawdia/Clawdeen/Howleen and Raven Queen.

I haven't included pictures of everything I've made, but I will be adding more pictures to this thread soon. Here's what I have for now:

Raven's Bed/Room
This room was rather challenging to find wallpaper for, but I finally settled on a black and silver swirl paper that I got from Hobby Lobby. The floor is plain purple card stock. The curtains are made from this really cool fabric with feathers I got in a fat quarter from Jo-Ann's, and I glued two sparkly black beads to the end of the "curtain rod" to hold them in place. As far as furniture, I've put in Raven's Getting Fairest vanity, her custom bed I created (it features a feather and crown headboard, and magic mirror foot-board), and a cauldron I got the idea to make from HeXtian. I used a table that came with the MH Deadluxe High School as her nightstand/potion table. I found these really cute mini glitter bottles at Michael's that I'm using for magic potions, as well as a sparkly skull bead that is displayed on her nightstand. 

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Clawdeen, Howleen, and Clawdia's room/Clawdia's bed
To this day, Clawdia's bed is one of the favorite MH beds I've made. The wolf paw on her foot-board I cut from wood with the help of my grandpa and her blanket kind of mimics her red jacket overlaying her gold dress.

Clawdia shares a room with her sisters, Howleen and Clawdeen. I basically split the room in half; one side matches Clawdia, the other Clawdeen. (Howleen didn't get a say in decorating... XD) I made the pink zebra print carpet on Clawdeen's by printing out a clipart picture of a wolf's paw and tracing it onto the felt. And I don't know if it's noticeable, but the chair Clawdeen's sitting on is actual the shape of a high heel! I'm pretty sure it came with my Hannah Montana house I got when I was about eight.

Nefera de Nile's WIP bed
Basically, I'm in the process of making Nefera a canopy bed. I'm using flatter, wider foam blocks for her mattress as well as canopy. Her headboard is going to be a circular woodshape with a scarab engraved into it that I got from the WoodshapeStore.com. I have yet to sew her blanket and pillow(s) but I below there's a pic of the fabric and trims I plan to use.

Sooo, this post was SUPER DUPER long, and there's still more to show you guys! ^^;

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 07:46:10 AM »

To this day, Clawdia's bed is one of the favorite MH beds I've made. The wolf paw on her foot-board I cut from wood with the help of my grandpa and her blanket kind of mimics her red jacket overlaying her gold dress.

Clawdia shares a room with her sisters, Howleen and Clawdeen. I basically split the room in half; one side matches Clawdia, the other Clawdeen. (Howleen didn't get a say in decorating... XD) I made the pink zebra print carpet on Clawdeen's by printing out a clipart picture of a wolf's paw and tracing it onto the felt. And I don't know if it's noticeable, but the chair Clawdeen's sitting on is actual the shape of a high heel! I'm pretty sure it came with my Hannah Montana house I got when I was about eight.

Nefera de Nile's WIP bed
Basically, I'm in the process of making Nefera a canopy bed. I'm using flatter, wider foam blocks for her mattress as well as canopy. Her headboard is going to be a circular woodshape with a scarab engraved into it that I got from the WoodshapeStore.com. I have yet to sew her blanket and pillow(s) but I below there's a pic of the fabric and trims I plan to use.

Sooo, this post was SUPER DUPER long, and there's still more to show you guys! ^^;
[/quote][/spoiler]

Thanks repositob for sharing your pics!! Love the rooms! And what a great idea, to use velcro to swap out the foam-core-mounted decor - that's a great idea and I like that one a LOT. I'd been grappling with how to do room box set-ups, and waffling between foam core structures or more permanent shelf structures, but your idea is the best of both.

With your cauldron - is that silver thing in Raven's room the thing you're talking about? If yes, can you share how you made it? And is it 'filled' with something?

I love how the werewolf sisters have to share a room and how both halves really capture Clawdia's and Clawdeen's personalities! (and how it's always the youngest that gets no say in the matter, lol) Who gets the top bunk, Clawdeen or Howleen?

And Nefera's looks to be shaping up nicely…I especially love the sequin trim for the canopy.

Please share more! Love to see your creative approaches and uses of materials, very inspirational. Thank you for sharing.

Online neon_jellyfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 10:23:51 AM »
These rooms are absolutely fang-tastic!!!  :clap:

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:01:54 AM »
Here's one of my favorite doll props - a museum replica of the King Tut throne chair. (Cleo asked Rochelle to jump into the pic for scale, please excuse her messy hair)

I believe it's a resin chair that's painted, not sure as I got it on ebay without packaging. But if you want one, I think they are still occasionally to be found, as are other 1/6 scale 'famous chairs'.

Rochelle shows off the King Tut throne for Cleo
by Lisa, on Flickr

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
Re: Let\'s See Pics - Houses & Furniture! Rooms!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 11:53:15 AM »

Nefera de Nile's WIP bed

[/spoiler]

Thanks repositob for sharing your pics!! Love the rooms! And what a great idea, to use velcro to swap out the foam-core-mounted decor - that's a great idea and I like that one a LOT. I'd been grappling with how to do room box set-ups, and waffling between foam core structures or more permanent shelf structures, but your idea is the best of both.

With your cauldron - is that silver thing in Raven's room the thing you're talking about? If yes, can you share how you made it? And is it 'filled' with something?

I love how the werewolf sisters have to share a room and how both halves really capture Clawdia's and Clawdeen's personalities! (and how it's always the youngest that gets no say in the matter, lol) Who gets the top bunk, Clawdeen or Howleen?

And Nefera's looks to be shaping up nicely…I especially love the sequin trim for the canopy.

Please share more! Love to see your creative approaches and uses of materials, very inspirational. Thank you for sharing.
[/quote]

Thank you so much! It always makes me smile when someone compliments me on my beds and rooms! :biggrin:

For Clawdeen's room, Howleen gets the top bunk, that way I can use the shelves on the bottom portion to store Clawdeen's makeup! And yes, the silver thing under Raven's window is sort of a raised cauldron. I made it by hot gluing a Dunkin Donuts cup top to an empty toilet paper roll that I topped off with cardboard squares. I painted the whole thing silver, and then decorated with gems and ribbons that I thought suited Raven. It isn't filled with anything, rather I cut a piece of clear doll packaging (the plastic that acts sort of as a "window" so you can see the doll) and painted it in a swirl pattern with a mixture of acrylic paint and glue. I should mention though that I was inspired by a tutorial from a YouTuber named HeXtian to make the cauldron, so it wasn't my original idea. Here's a link to his video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dvTswEKW-k

HeXtian also makes doll beds, so I recommend you check out those videos, too. He's really inspiring.

These rooms are absolutely fang-tastic!!!  :clap:

Thank you so much!

Post Merge: September 25, 2018, 11:54:28 AM

Here's one of my favorite doll props - a museum replica of the King Tut throne chair. (Cleo asked Rochelle to jump into the pic for scale, please excuse her messy hair)

I believe it's a resin chair that's painted, not sure as I got it on ebay without packaging. But if you want one, I think they are still occasionally to be found, as are other 1/6 scale 'famous chairs'.

Rochelle shows off the King Tut throne for Cleo
by Lisa, on Flickr

Oh my gosh, that's too awesome! Perfect for Cleo, or maybe even Nefera!

Offline Ravie

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Boy Doll Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • thatRavie
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 12:53:42 PM »
It's been awhile since I made anything, so these pics are old, and unfortunately, both the dojo and the Youth Center got a little banged up when I moved and I don't have anywhere right now to assess the damage, especially the YC because of it's size when it's unfolded.

The Dojo
https://flic.kr/p/qNKbv8

The Youth Center