collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Which dolls seemed rare?  (Read 772 times)

Offline Lala_Fan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
Which dolls seemed rare?
« on: September 05, 2018, 07:15:09 AM »
I have been collecting Monster High for a year now and I love finding boxed dolls at reasonable prices. I wish I could have been part of its heyday. I do wonder which dolls/sets were hardest to find in stores.
Two big sets that I own are the Maul Monsteristas and the Wheelin' Werecats. I know the Werecats were Walmart exclusives and the Monsteristas were only released in Canada.
The Draculaura from the Maul set is my absolute favorite version of her. The Wheelin' set seemed rare to me. I like how they are just themselves. Not in school clothes, not just Toralei's allies or victims of a dance. Just sisters being themselves and hanging out.
I have not gone after any SDCC exclusives but I am wanting to end my collection with a bang. A rare bang.  I was thinking of pursuing the Fierce Rocker 3 pack. Bummer it does not include stands though.
I appreciate anyone who took the time to read this and I welcome comments!  :)

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
Re: Which dolls seemed rare?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 08:56:46 AM »
I think Holt was one of the rare ones.  Both sig edition and swim class.
I have yet to see him in box complete these days for less than $50.

I Love Fashion Cleo was a rarity too.  Limited distribution at TRU.

The Maul pack with the purple Invisibilly was also available in Mexico too, if I recall correctly..?

love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Lala_Fan

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 09:12:23 AM »
Yes, Holt is still hard to find at least at a reasonable price. I do have his swim version still boxed.

I Love Fashion Cleo does seem rare. She is pretty but I honestly am not in love with her outfit choices.

I thought the Maul set may have been released elsewhere.

What does it mean when Mattel limits the release of dolls to certain locations?

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 09:48:36 AM »
I'm surprised at some of the rarities, at least for the time.  The Pack of Trouble 4 pack was actually at the two Walmarts on either side of us, but many people reported not finding it at all. 

A lot of ones near the end, as well, were hard to find because less stores were stocking them.  I Heart Fashion Cleo was one of the last big ones I wanted.  It doesn't help not living near a TRU, but the one time we went after her release, there were just two Venuses.  Haunted Spectra and Rochelle, Rochelle especially since I think Spectras were showing at up Tuesday Morning, was it?  I always thought Rochelle was never bought by Walmart, even though she was supposed to be Walmart exclusive, because of the disaster that was FCA Operetta.  Full endcaps of her just sat, so Walmart didn't take that chance again, I suppose. 

Of the earlier ones, basic Holt, Ghoulia, Lagoona, and Toralei held value for the longest of time and were difficult to come by.  I never saw any of them, or Forbitten Love.  Dawn of the Dance Deuce and Ghoulia are also pretty hard to come by, Lagoona was for a while but was re-released. 

Early exclusives before the line's fanbase grew are also pretty rare.  Gloom Beach 5 Pack, Dawn of the Dance 3 Pack, and Lagoona and her Hydration Station come to mind.  Most people didn't want to spend $40-$60 bucks on big doll sets for a doll line that just dropped, our parents included, so my sister never wound up with the DOTD three pack even though she asked several times for it.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 10:12:04 AM »
I think later in the line, the Skelita's became rarer, especially her Scaritage one.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 10:21:54 AM »

This is a good question - does anyone have insight into why Mattel released certain dolls only in certain locations? Or even certain countries? Konzern, it's nice to have that background, thanks.

For me, I'd LOVE to have the Maul Monsteristas! Someday….

I do have the Fierce Rockers (although got Clawdeen separately from Venus and Jinafire) and the Werecat twins with scooters - that one, I loved them in the box display so much, that I decided to leave that in-box, and I located a second deboxed set that I could play around with. But because I, too, came to MH after these sets were in-store, I purchased them in the secondary market.

It seems the Werecat/scooter set is pretty rare - it was quite by accident that I even found out it existed, as I'd not seen it in any research I'd done.
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Firecracker

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 10:36:44 AM »

This is a good question - does anyone have insight into why Mattel released certain dolls only in certain locations? Or even certain countries? Konzern, it's nice to have that background, thanks.

For me, I'd LOVE to have the Maul Monsteristas! Someday….

I do have the Fierce Rockers (although got Clawdeen separately from Venus and Jinafire) and the Werecat twins with scooters - that one, I loved them in the box display so much, that I decided to leave that in-box, and I located a second deboxed set that I could play around with. But because I, too, came to MH after these sets were in-store, I purchased them in the secondary market.

It seems the Werecat/scooter set is pretty rare - it was quite by accident that I even found out it existed, as I'd not seen it in any research I'd done.

It's not so much mattel as it is demand from the stores.  Mattel makes the product, the stores decide if they want to stock it.
The Maul Monsteristas pack only showed up in Canada and Mexico, if I remember correctly.  Target in the US usually was the store that ordered the 5 packs, and it's believed that they didn't order the Maul Monsteristas because the 5 packs weren't performing well in sales.  So stores in Canada and Mexico got the "leftovers".
I might not be phrasing it quite right but I think that's the gist of it!

Offline piinkypiie

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 04:58:17 PM »
Freaky fusion was another one with rare dolls.
^.^ :drac: :hearts: :rainbow:

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 06:05:21 AM »
Ghouls Alive Robecca was only available in Mexico and Europe I think.

The hard to find now would be signature Ghoulia, Lagoona, Nefera, Toralei
ILF Cleo and Venus, CB Venus (I only saw her once here), some store exclusives

And of course the hardest to find at a reasonable price would be black and white SDCC Frankie.
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 07:51:53 AM »
Australia was weird, because rarity was kind of the norm? And then random places would have heaps of dolls, or dolls that I didn't know had come to Australia. I know that I asked for people abroad to get me dolls that didn't make it here, sometimes in exchange for dolls we got much later.

I think the strangest thing was the fact that we got Haunted Rochelle and Spectra before everywhere else. I know I shipped a couple of Spectras out to people Stateside, because she took so long to come out there (and then had a slightly different face-up).

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 12:07:23 PM »
nassib, is the SDCC Frankie you mentioned the one in the swimsuit & bob haircut? Or something else?

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 11:57:16 AM »
nassib, is the SDCC Frankie you mentioned the one in the swimsuit & bob haircut? Or something else?

No, that's b/w Skull Shores Frankie
I'm talking about this beauty
Monster High 2010 SDCC Exclusive Frankie Stein by WookieWarrior23 MH, en Flickr
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 01:25:27 PM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Niiiiiiiice! Thanks for the pic!

Offline RenegadeAngel

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Creeperific
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 05:02:16 PM »
Sig Cupid, Sig Nefera, DOTD Deuce. I think most of the boy dolls were rare at some point or another.

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 02:11:45 PM »
One doll I know I could never find anywhere was Ghoul Spirit Slo Mo. I searched everywhere for him. And then there was Ghoul Fair Heath, who I only found once in the wild, at Target. I decided against getting him, and have regretted it ever since.

Some other dolls that were rare around me would be Gloom and Bloom Cleo and Jinafire and Sweet Screams Frankie and Draculaura. Like Heath, I found Cleo and Frankie once, but didn't get them because I didn't have funds for Cleo and Frankie was in a damaged box. (I don't know why I cared about the box, because the doll was in perfect condition otherwise.) I ended up getting Sweet Screams Abbey instead, but looking back, I should have gotten Cleo. *facepalm*

Offline Crystal-Spooky

• One-Eyed Ghoul
  • Professionally broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 01:31:06 AM »
Australia was weird, because rarity was kind of the norm? And then random places would have heaps of dolls, or dolls that I didn't know had come to Australia. I know that I asked for people abroad to get me dolls that didn't make it here, sometimes in exchange for dolls we got much later.

I think the strangest thing was the fact that we got Haunted Rochelle and Spectra before everywhere else. I know I shipped a couple of Spectras out to people Stateside, because she took so long to come out there (and then had a slightly different face-up).

Yeah, this :P
Haunted Rochelle showed up en masse at The Reject Store and to this day Holt and Nefera are relatively common and inexpensive on the secondhand market.
What I'd consider rare would be the CAM single packs (first ones had a small distribution and I never saw the second series!) Maul Monsteristas, and Sweet Screams wave 2 which we also didn't get, grr!) :eesh:
~*~ We are shooting stars ~*~

Offline SweetScreams

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 08:52:54 AM »
I kind of knew Gil would be rare when we say the skull shore line. I still beat myself a little everytime I'm reminded of how I held him at the store and went "eh" and put him back :P