collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 25
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Don't do that to my customs!  (Read 450 times)

Offline Sweet Bats

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Don't do that to my customs!
« on: August 06, 2018, 02:09:50 PM »
So I've only made 2 customs that were listed, and due to my crazy living situation, my dolls are at my mom's for safekeeping, and I noted on my listings that people could message me if they were interested in them, I could retrieve them and give the go-ahead, then they could purchase and receive them in a timely manner. Well after half a year, I finally got a message about my first listing, and I was so excited! I opened the email notification and...

Hi I am interested in this doll. I've never had one of these... I'm looking to make her into a dragon or mermaid... is that do- able with her...she has the right coloring. Thanks.

I'm kind of offended at this, like I put all this effort into the doll and you message me telling me the changes you want to make to it? Not to mention it's my Elle custom, with "computer chip" eyes (and all the robotic parts that are already part of the doll) so I don't know how they plan to make it work for a dragon or mermaid without just straight up erasing all of my work. I'm so confused about this though, why spend $40 +shipping on a OOAK that you're going to mess with rather than buying a bait doll for a fraction of the cost? Am I missing something here? I mean on one hand, it's their money, but on the other, that's my time, energy, and design. It feels even more discouraging than the fact it hasn't sold yet, you know? Like if it hasn't sold, I can attribute that to a bunch of factors, but this feels like "I don't like what you did so much that I want to entirely change it". Ugh. Now to figure out how to nicely reply...

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
Re: Don't do that to my customs!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 06:02:45 PM »
Ooof, yikes! I have no idea how I would go about wording a reply nicely if I were you, haha. I'd probably completely go off on them, that is very enraging. ^^;

Offline Sweet Bats

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 07:00:49 PM »
Ooof, yikes! I have no idea how I would go about wording a reply nicely if I were you, haha. I'd probably completely go off on them, that is very enraging. ^^;
I vented to a friend about it, and he pointed out that perhaps she didn't realize it was a customized doll (another friend pointed out that buyers can technically do what they want with it, which I get, but being told upfront that they're going to change your work is certainly frustrating!). I wrote up a reply as if they were oblivious to what OOAK dolls were (letting her know I certainly couldn't stop her from buying mine if she was sure that was what she wanted), and that ended up being the case. She was just looking for a blue-haired doll, and couldn't really find any that weren't ridiculously expensive. I explained bait dolls to her, guided her to Mozekyto's channel for inexpensive wig-making, and let her know worst (read: most expensive) case scenario was finding a doll artist she liked and paying them to make her the doll she wanted. She was very appreciative that I was honest about it and didn't just say "yeah buy my doll give me ur money" haha. Glad I ran it by my friend, always good to get another perspective on things.

If she came back like "yeah I know it's your custom I still wanna change it tho" I would have probably gone off on her then haha

Offline Mickey Rumble

• MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 05:00:56 PM »
I might consider making a SMALL change to a custom doll, but I sure as heck wouldn't tell the customizer. Actually, I wouldn't tell anyone until after the doll was safely at home.  :biggrin:

Offline 8BrickMario

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 05:22:10 AM »
I've learned firsthand that it's a huge no-no to "correct" or "improve" someone else's work, and I'd feel upset if I was in that situation, too. But the buyer probably thinks "if you're giving it up, it's no longer yours". I think explaining that it's more like owning a painting someone did would illustrate the issue better. Nobody would alter a framed piece of art they bought from an artist, after all. Drawing that parallel could make it clear that you want your work to stay as intended.
My photo thread:           My drawing thread:

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 05:57:27 AM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Hi 8BrickMario! Good point! And as a creative myself, I can see your way of thinking. However, I'd like to add this….I do have one painting, that I bought years and years ago and still have, where the artist re-used a canvas, didn't properly gesso or seal-over what was underneath (huge bold outlines in black) and then with the large areas painted in yellow those bold outlines are now showing through. That wasn't apparent when I bought it, and not for many years after. It's been in storage for over a decade because it can't be displayed as-is, and I have TRIED to track down the artist for a fix to no avail. I'm to the point of either hiring a painter I like to fix it, or even giving it a go myself. I mean, even masterpieces can need restoration.

So I agree with the original 'hey it's a creative work, buy it cause you love it not cause you want to change it' approach, AND just want to toss in that sometimes a correction or fix can be needed to restore something. Thas' all!

Simply Indescribable, I'm glad it was just a case of the person not really understanding the situation. Good for you that you were able to help them out, sounds like they really appreciated your efforts.   :biggrin:
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Sweet Bats

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Aspiring Faceup Artist
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 12:28:26 PM »
Ugh, it just happened again. Someone messaged me, complimented my "beautiful" doll (the one in my avatar actually) then asked how much extra it would cost to make the lips bright red, add blush, and polish the fingers and toes. I informed her I was only selling as-is but if she wanted to commission me and have full creative control, we could work something out (and of course, didn't get a response to that). I legitimately don't understand why someone would request I change my art, especially after they just said that they think it's beautiful. Honestly if it was just the polish, I'd probably have done it (that's not something I'd be worried about lowering the value on the doll should they back out), but I'm not wanting to mess with the face after I've sealed and glossed it. Those lips would end up being a hot mess.
I'm not upset that no one's buying the dolls after I put so much work into them, I'm just frustrated that all that work isn't enough, and someone would rather have me change my vision than actually pay me fairly for exactly what they want.