collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 1

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

October 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Jackson Jekyll: Normie or Monster?  (Read 384 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
Jackson Jekyll: Normie or Monster?
« on: July 27, 2018, 08:53:16 AM »
The forums have been quiet since the reboot and I kinda just want to start a discussion  :P

Normies vs. Monsters gradually faded out of the MH universe, eventually pretty much becoming 'there's a monster world, deal with it' with normie only sometimes popping out as an insult or to describe someone as purely human (think Sparky/Dr. Victor Frankenstein). It was a focal point of Ghouls Rule and made an appearance in Freaky Fusion as Sparky got some bullying regarding his status as a normie in a monster-themed school.

That leaves us with the current 'normie' student, Jackson Jekyll. The thing is, he transforms into Holt Hyde when exposed to loud music. Holt is not doubted as a monster, but Manny in particular seemed to want to constantly label him as a normie ...

But is Jackson Jekyll truely a normie? Or can he be classed as a monster? Or does he simply occupy the status of human but entrenched in the monster world?

Let's discuss. There are 'normies' in Monster High that do belong there as they are deeply sewn into the monster world. Mr. Hackington seems to be a normal human (albeit one that worked as a professional Igor before teaching), I would say Hexiciah Steam is also human, simply an augmented one (I don't like the idea he's a Fae to be honest), and Dr. Frankenstein is also human.

Sparky got stick for being human, but he very clearly belonged in the Monster High world and occupied the Mad Scientist archetype. Mr. Hackington belonged to Igor/servant archetype and now appears to take on the hangman/executionor appearence as part of his look, but not job. Hexiciah is a bit like Sparky in that he marries human with inhuman, albiet it's steampunk machinary in his case.

Where does that leave Jackson? The thing is, he DOES have part of him that are clearly monster; Holt Hyde. The two are seperate in mind, but share the same body. It would be unfair to Jackson to simply regard his human self as Holt's alter ego or safe. He seems to fit the transforming monster archetype pretty well, like old-school werewolves that don't seem to exist in MH's universe (at least G1, it's G1 canon I'm going from here).

So I put it to the MHAreana Member Disembodiment Council, I say Jackson Jekyll rightfully belongs at Monster High and can be regarded as a monster!
If I have not replied to you, please give me a PM! Super-busy and may miss some messages!

Offline Konzern

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
Re: Jackson Jekyll: Normie or Monster?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 09:33:10 AM »
I always considered Jackson a monster as well.  His appearance denotes normie, yes, but he's not truly a normie otherwise.  He isn't a mad scientist, though I imagine he could be.  After all, Jekyll's transformation into Hyde is due to a potion, so science might run in the family.

The Jekyll/Hyde dynamics have always been a unique case of monster-dom to me.  Hyde isn't a monster, as media likes to portray him.  Like Jekyll, he's human, but the appearance is different.  Hyde is described as looking brutish, small, slighter, and younger than Jekyll.  However, Jekyll/Hyde fits the mad scientist archetype, and while mad scientists are typically human, their actions tend to make them monsters in a sense.

Monster High, however, has likened Hyde-like characteristics to a monster as it is often portrayed.  His mom's Hyde side is shown in his diary, and it's implied she's some sort of hulking beast. 

Some of the little neighborhood monsters decided that they were going to play "kick the can" only they were going to use me as the can. Every time I tried to run home they blocked my way and pushed me down. I started crying and then they really started making fun of me. Then all of a sudden I heard this roar and there was my mom. Even though it didn't look like her I knew it was and honestly all I could think was, "Why mother, what big muscles you have."

Plus, you have his added half fire elemental side, so it makes sense he's monstrous.  He might not have abilities like some of the other monsters, but his transformation into Holt is more than enough to make him a monster.  I like the comparison to old school werewolves.  They, too, appear human but have a trigger that brings out the fully monster side and are often considered monsters whether in human form or not. 
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 06:18:42 AM »
Plus, you have his added half fire elemental side, so it makes sense he's monstrous.  He might not have abilities like some of the other monsters, but his transformation into Holt is more than enough to make him a monster.  I like the comparison to old school werewolves.  They, too, appear human but have a trigger that brings out the fully monster side and are often considered monsters whether in human form or not.

That reminds me! Didn't Heath mention that Jackson is his cousin at one point? Or am I misremembering? Or was it Holt he specifically mentioned as his cousin?
If I have not replied to you, please give me a PM! Super-busy and may miss some messages!

Offline Konzern

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 06:26:58 AM »

That reminds me! Didn't Heath mention that Jackson is his cousin at one point? Or am I misremembering? Or was it Holt he specifically mentioned as his cousin?
Heath mentions it in Jackson's first webisode debut.  I think he and Deuce are eating lunch and Deuce questions the normie, Heath says that's his cousin, and Deuce calls him over.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline smileshy22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Keep on smiling! ☺
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 03:33:50 PM »
I think he's fully monster, but with a hint of normie.  ;)