collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Author Topic: Netflix She-Ra Animated Series  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Kraterus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Skull Shores Ghoulia
  • Roguish Rapscallion
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix She-Ra Animated Series
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 07:47:40 PM »

This is my edit of their design.

This is my own redesign.

Jeez those look great (particularly your designs).  Maybe they can hire you for some doll designs.

I'm eager to see the merch for this show (Which Brandon Sopinski of Mattel said is coming to retail, during a SDCC interview with Pixel Dan).  I'm assuming there'll be some "action dolls", kind of along the lines of DC Super Hero Girls, but they should have much prettier costumes and such, maybe along the lines of Ever After High.  The fantasy/fairy-tale style of Etheria is so gorgeous, Mattel really needs to take full advantage of that.  BTW, the best art reveal so far is that environment shot of Bright Moon, just beautiful and looks just like Etheria should.

I'm a huge He-Man/She-Ra fan so this is a big deal to me.  Dolls that are an action/fashion blend are a perfect fit for She-Ra/POP. 

There are some interesting threads regarding this show over on He-Man.org, if you're interested in a pretty meaty discussion.  Post these art pics over there and they'd flip, they'd love it.

Man I'm excited.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:55:21 PM by Kraterus »

Offline Angelkitty21

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
    • Mistakenolive's Wall o' Stuff on Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 01:28:32 AM »
I'm super excited for toys too! Particularly the action dolls, if they go that route. From what we've seen with Glimmer, they might all have different body types which would be interesting to see. The only problem with that is clothes wouldn't be as interchangeable. They might stick to action figures if that's the case.

When is the next major convention/toy fair supposed to be? I wanna keep an eye out for them!
♥♡♥

Offline Kraterus

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
  • Roguish Rapscallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2018, 07:19:04 AM »
I'm super excited for toys too! Particularly the action dolls, if they go that route. From what we've seen with Glimmer, they might all have different body types which would be interesting to see. The only problem with that is clothes wouldn't be as interchangeable. They might stick to action figures if that's the case.

When is the next major convention/toy fair supposed to be? I wanna keep an eye out for them!

Some people speculate that something could be shown at NYCC (New York Comic Con) starting October 4, certainly you'd expect Mattel to have product ready by then since the show drops on Nov 16.  Perhaps some other venues have been speculated about, I don't remember precisely, all I know is Brandon confirmed there is product in the works, which was a big revelation in itself.

Oh and almost forgot Power-Con, a He-Man/She-Ra convention on August 25,26.  Maybe a small possibility of something shown there, but this is a very niche convention.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:00:33 AM by Kraterus »

Offline Quillette

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2018, 09:43:06 AM »
So...What is with everyone’s obsession with She-ra’s boobs?  :lol:

To say that she doesn't look feminine because she falls under a body type not usually seen for Western animated female characters kind of implies that there is only one female body type that is feminine, the full body hour-glass, and that just feels so limiting. As does the idea that if they don’t have a large chest they are suddenly a child. Boobs like people come in all sizes.

I grew up watching the old He-man and She-ra cartoons and personally I am happy to see She-ra looking like she can kick butt now and not just pose dramatically. (Watch the old shows, seriously, watch them, they are so bad and full of more dramatic posing then a runway show) I am greatly looking forward to this show and I am seriously hoping it doesn’t suck. She-ra not having large boobs and hips and looking like she’s 30 pretending to be 16 is literally the last thing I am concerned about.

No, that is not at all what people are implying!
It's just that men and women do have differenses in their physique and build, men usually have more boxy builds while women have more curves and softer builds. Of course there are overlapses but those are rarer.

The issue here is that they used a male build for She-ra. The technique they used to draw her is often used to illustrate boys.
There is a fault in the logic when you do this to a character whos essence is built on her gender. She is called She-Ra, she was supposed to appeal to girls, she is He-mans twin and female counter part.

It feels even wierder to have Adora, who is shown to be pretty curvy, transform into a male body and don the name She-ra. Its not even meant to go all the way like in Mahou shoujo ore. (A comedy anime about girls transforming into magical guys to fight muscle squirrels)

I have to argue that girls can kick butt and still look feminine. And Ill prove it!

This is my own redesign.

Nice artwork.

Now on to the nitty gritty.

Aside from a few key difference, men and women have the same anatomy. That nipped in waist women have is the result of our wider pelvic bones for child birthing. But like men, women’s shoulders are still wider then their hips. Muscle development in the upper area will of course will make their shoulders wider and give them a more ‘boyish’ look. Look at Olympic gymnast and swimmers. Female athletes who use their upper bodies more have a more male like shape due to muscle development. They also lack definitive boobs because, breast are mostly fat and that burns away with the development of pectoral muscles. Most female body builders end up getting breast implants because they won’t have any breasts without them.

Now, this is a fantasy cartoon. By all accounts, they did not have to go by real world logic, but they did and I applaud them for that. To me that is what good character design does. It draws from real life and uses that to tell a visual story about the character. She-ra is athletic and strong and still very much a young women, still developing, still growing.

Offline Sakuya

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
  • Artist for hire!
    • View Profile
    • Sakuya's DA
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 10:52:41 AM »

To say that she doesn't look feminine because she falls under a body type not usually seen for Western animated female characters kind of implies that there is only one female body type that is feminine, the full body hour-glass, and that just feels so limiting. As does the idea that if they don’t have a large chest they are suddenly a child. Boobs like people come in all sizes.

I grew up watching the old He-man and She-ra cartoons and personally I am happy to see She-ra looking like she can kick butt now and not just pose dramatically. (Watch the old shows, seriously, watch them, they are so bad and full of more dramatic posing then a runway show) I am greatly looking forward to this show and I am seriously hoping it doesn’t suck. She-ra not having large boobs and hips and looking like she’s 30 pretending to be 16 is literally the last thing I am concerned about.

It's just that men and women do have differenses in their physique and build, men usually have more boxy builds while women have more curves and softer builds. Of course there are overlapses but those are rarer.

The issue here is that they used a male build for She-ra. The technique they used to draw her is often used to illustrate boys.
There is a fault in the logic when you do this to a character whos essence is built on her gender. She is called She-Ra, she was supposed to appeal to girls, she is He-mans twin and female counter part.

It feels even wierder to have Adora, who is shown to be pretty curvy, transform into a male body and don the name She-ra. Its not even meant to go all the way like in Mahou shoujo ore. (A comedy anime about girls transforming into magical guys to fight muscle squirrels)

I have to argue that girls can kick butt and still look feminine. And Ill prove it!

This is my own redesign.

Nice artwork.

Now on to the nitty gritty.

Aside from a few key difference, men and women have the same anatomy. That nipped in waist women have is the result of our wider pelvic bones for child birthing. But like men, women’s shoulders are still wider then their hips. Muscle development in the upper area will of course will make their shoulders wider and give them a more ‘boyish’ look. Look at Olympic gymnast and swimmers. Female athletes who use their upper bodies more have a more male like shape due to muscle development. They also lack definitive boobs because, breast are mostly fat and that burns away with the development of pectoral muscles. Most female body builders end up getting breast implants because they won’t have any breasts without them.

Now, this is a fantasy cartoon. By all accounts, they did not have to go by real world logic, but they did and I applaud them for that. To me that is what good character design does. It draws from real life and uses that to tell a visual story about the character. She-ra is athletic and strong and still very much a young women, still developing, still growing.

You are partially right, but partially wrong too. The skeletons may have the very similar build and some defining shapes are because of fats, but those are integral differences of the genders anatomy. Men just dont put on fat on the hips in the same way women do. And a woman cant gain muscles in the same capacity of men. And even on female athletes you will still be able to see that they are women.(as long as they arent taking stereoids and stuff like that, but thats not what She-ra is supposed to be.)
And I have to bring up the SDCC She-ra, she was well built with muscles, but you could still she she was female.

Yes it is a fantasy cartoon, but I have to argue that they dont use real world logic. I am calling into question if they even made her more athletic/muscular as shera at all. she have no definition to her limbs. If she truely just got buff, she should have defined muscles. And since it is a fantasy show, I also have to argue that there is no need to give her muscles or defeminize her since she is getting stronger with magic anyway.
Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
In the mood for clawsome art?
Im always available for commissions!

Offline Quillette

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2018, 12:08:57 PM »
Agree to disagree. :biggrin:

This She-ra design obviously upsets you more then I care about defending it. And I really don’t want to get into a long winded debate about muscles and fat pads. That could go on forever and would be completely off topic, but I digress, I really don’t think it’s that bad nor do I think it’s defemanising. Maybe my view of feminine is too broad, but I don’t need her to appear as super pretty or super feminine to enjoy her as a character. She’s different and that makes her interesting to me. At this point I just want to wait and see how the show turns out.

The only real grievance I have with the show is that color wise it’s very blah.

Offline Sakuya

• MIB Signature Jackson
  • Artist for hire!
    • View Profile
    • Sakuya's DA
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2018, 04:20:52 PM »
Agree to disagree. :biggrin:

This She-ra design obviously upsets you more then I care about defending it. And I really don’t want to get into a long winded debate about muscles and fat pads. That could go on forever and would be completely off topic, but I digress, I really don’t think it’s that bad nor do I think it’s defemanising. Maybe my view of feminine is too broad, but I don’t need her to appear as super pretty or super feminine to enjoy her as a character. She’s different and that makes her interesting to me. At this point I just want to wait and see how the show turns out.

Yea I have no wish to argue about it either. I do apologize if I seem to come of to agressively. I sadly have a tendancy to seem that way even when I dont mean to.
It's just that I see this trend in nearly everything in media, such as comics and tv shows and it worries me. When I was a kid, I loved shows like Sailor Moon and Starla and the jewelriders because they were female and feminine. They showed me that girls can be badass and it helped me through times when boys bullied me and said girls were lame and couldnt do anything good.
I want future generations of girls to get this encouragement too when they go through the same thing.
But if there are no feminine girls in media left, how will they get this encouragement?

And look, I dont mind there being different bodytypes in shows, I do welcome it, but I still think females should be recognizable you know. Look at Overwatch and Steven universe, they got a ton of different shapes, but you can still see they are female. (well some SU charas are questionable but still). And thats awesome.

And for a character named SHE, it feels backward that she look like a he.

I do question though how much the She-Ra reboot goes by real world logic...I mean, look at Glimmer... Do you think someone as fat as her would be able to lead a rebellion? Much less get through a battle? I feel like it was just to fill a body shape quota... Even Steven universe did a better job as Rose Quartz looked more bulky than fat.

Ah sorry, I am thinking too much about this... its not easy to not do that as all of this affects the communities I am in...Im an artist trying to get a job in something but its hard to break into sjw filled buisnesses...
Sakuyamon.deviantart.com

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2018, 05:31:20 PM »
I want future generations of girls to get this encouragement too when they go through the same thing.
But if there are no feminine girls in media left, how will they get this encouragement?

I agree! 
I'll still check out the series, just to see if they made any last minute changes, and also to see how good it is.  When does it start again?
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Sakuya

• MIB Signature Jackson
  • Artist for hire!
    • View Profile
    • Sakuya's DA
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2018, 12:27:49 AM »

I agree! 
I'll still check out the series, just to see if they made any last minute changes, and also to see how good it is.  When does it start again?

Some time in november.
Sakuyamon.deviantart.com

Offline Wardah

• Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2018, 01:07:59 AM »
@quillette- alright, you got a very good point there. I guess what bugs me is that her boobs disappear for no apparent reason. Well, I guess she could be wearing breastplate. Or something *shrug*

The more fanart I see on Tumblr, the more the look grows on me.

@sakuya- that art is awesome :D

I definitely think it could be armor. That would explain the lack of cleavage since realistically a cleavage divot in female armor would be dangerous for the wearer. Such a divot is pretty much asking for a shattered sternum. It's like the number one complaint about female fantasy armor.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 01:09:42 AM by Wardah »
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2018, 04:49:08 AM »
@quillette- alright, you got a very good point there. I guess what bugs me is that her boobs disappear for no apparent reason. Well, I guess she could be wearing breastplate. Or something *shrug*

I definitely think it could be armor. That would explain the lack of cleavage since realistically a cleavage divot in female armor would be dangerous for the wearer. Such a divot is pretty much asking for a shattered sternum. It's like the number one complaint about female fantasy armor.
I have to agree with that.. If you look at the character kitiara from the old dragon lance series

Shes wearing a full set of plate armor and you can hardly tell shes a woman.
So that could be what they are going for.

Any hoo.. does anyone know when this comes out?
what day netflix is gonna release it?

Offline Kraterus

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
  • Roguish Rapscallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2018, 07:03:53 AM »

I have to agree with that.. If you look at the character kitiara from the old dragon lance series

Shes wearing a full set of plate armor and you can hardly tell shes a woman.
So that could be what they are going for.

Any hoo.. does anyone know when this comes out?
what day netflix is gonna release it?

The show is suppose to start on Nov. 16.  Or maybe 15.  16th I think.

Really?  Even this?:

(Bright Moon)

I think this is gorgeous, just like Etheria should look. 

Post Merge: August 01, 2018, 07:23:57 AM

Yes it is a fantasy cartoon, but I have to argue that they dont use real world logic. I am calling into question if they even made her more athletic/muscular as shera at all. she have no definition to her limbs. If she truely just got buff, she should have defined muscles. And since it is a fantasy show, I also have to argue that there is no need to give her muscles or defeminize her since she is getting stronger with magic anyway.

I think that's right, if we went just with the logic of this fantasy world, given that both She-Ra and He-Man derive their superhuman (frankly godlike) strength and abilities from magic, then neither would need much in the way of muscle, really.  Reminds me of Yoda's Dagobah speech to Luke, explaining how size and physical strength don't make a Force-user great.

Of course, I'm not saying take away He-Man's muscles.  The appearances of these characters were clearly following conventions of depicting fantasy heroes. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:23:57 AM by Kraterus »

Offline RodimusKnight

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2018, 07:44:04 AM »
So one thing that I have found interesting in the "debate" over the new She-ra cartoon, is that the people criticizing the people criticizing the show, are ignoring the women who are criticizing the show. I see people calling the guys "man babies" and far far worse, and yet the Women who are not happy with the reboot are being ignored. Seems a little sexist to me.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2018, 12:52:14 PM »
I would like to remind everyone that while healthy debate and discussion is fine, there is no place in this conversation for outright body-shaming.

Please keep your comments respectful, polite and tactful.

Offline RodimusKnight

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2018, 07:58:45 AM »

This is my own redesign.

Fro whatever reason, the last time I was in here, the images didn't show up so I didn't see theses. You version of the reboots are adorable, and I really like your redesign, minus the horn on She-Ra's headdress/crown/mask thing.

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2018, 05:35:10 PM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Interesting points all around. I have zero She-Ra exposure, so this is all new to me. But we do have Netflix, so I'll watch a few episodes.

Sakuya's drawings are marvelous. Would love to see THOSE in doll form!
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Sakuya

• MIB Signature Jackson
  • Artist for hire!
    • View Profile
    • Sakuya's DA
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2018, 02:35:58 AM »
There is a trailer out now. I saw it yesterday. I have to say I feel sorry for the vas, they sound really good but the animation is so bland. There is so much emotion in the VAs voices but the transformation sequence is devoid of emotion, the va sound like she really is transforming but the animation is like swish swish swosh ok Im She-ra.
Oh and all the (removed - Wuvmykitties) lensflares! I tend to like lensflares but they do not use them well here.

Edited to remove semi-foul language..don't circumvent the swear censor by replacing certain letters with others or use asterisks - Wuvmykitties
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:35:48 AM by Wuvmykitties »
Sakuyamon.deviantart.com

Offline Crystal-Spooky

• One-Eyed Ghoul
  • Professionally broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2018, 01:43:19 AM »
Yeah I've got to agree with the sentiment that many people have expressed here, don't change characters to fit some diversity quota, make new original ones (as that also has the underlying sentiment of 'characters that were always 'diverse' can't be successful').
If you want to change a preexisting series so much, maybe make a spinoff instead? She-Ra's daughter?
Also not fond of the 'Cal-Arts' style which has pretty much overtaken Western animation nowadays, shows used to be distinct and now they all have that same look to them- likely due to most animation studios hiring animators from the same pool of graduates year after year...
I always liked how mature She-Ra and her companions looked, as opposed to the 'young mid-20s to teen' look that many female leads have. Yes the original's goofy and corny as all heck, but that's what makes it so enjoyable!
~*~ We are shooting stars ~*~

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2018, 04:45:25 AM »
well now that i have actually seen the trailer.. I still say it looks like shes wearing a lot of armor.
At least a chest plate.. maybe something similar to kevlar..( side note.. kevlar weighs a lot.. and kills most of your shape)
the animation is ok
the voice acting seems pretty nice.
I just when i knew when the heck this thing is coming out.. originally they said november something
now i cant find any dates!!

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2018, 02:14:28 PM »
I just when i knew when the heck this thing is coming out.. originally they said november something
now i cant find any dates!!

It's November 16th.