collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 25
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Netflix She-Ra Animated Series  (Read 2786 times)

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
Netflix She-Ra Animated Series
« on: July 19, 2018, 01:19:00 PM »
Thought I'd revive the She-Ra topic since new images have surfaced from the series.
The series is set to air on Netflix on November 16th.

I'm not going to lie, my initial feelings regarding the first sketches that we saw was very iffy, but these actually look really good.  It reminds me a lot of Steven Universe's art style.  I'm feeling cautiously optimistic now. lol

(She-Ra)

(Glimmer, Bow, and Adora)

(Catra and Adora)

(Bright Moon)

* Images taken from Nerdist (https://nerdist.com/she-ra-and-the-princesses-of-power-first-images/).

Offline Claire85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix She-Ra Animated Series
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 01:22:16 PM »
I love the animation personally. I didnít grow up with SheRa, but I might check this out.

I thought the animation looked like a mix of Steven Universe and modern Studio Ghibli.
Itís very pleasing to the eyes.

Offline Mickey Rumble

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 02:01:13 PM »

Wow, Hank Venture's She-Ra cosplay is on point.

Jokes aside, She-Ra looks pretty young so I hope this isn't too 'junior' for me to enjoy.

Offline Sakuya

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
  • Artist for hire!
    • View Profile
    • Sakuya's DA
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 02:19:22 PM »
Im sorry, I am gonna be a bit of a downer but I dislike it. I have little to no issues with the design elements themselves but I find the charas poorly executed. She-ra shifts between looking like a 16 year old girl and a 10 year old muscle boy. It worries me that so many of the female figures of the new reboots are loosing their femininity.
Dont get me wrong, I am not out to hate it because of nostalgia or something like that, I never watched the original. And there are somethings I do like, like Bows new design. But at the same time... It kinda feel like forced diversity?
Shouldnt it be better to just create a new chara instead and leave all old charas as they are, no matter what race?
I hope noone is gonna take offense to what Im saying, I have no wish to argue or fight, I just wanted state my opinion. I am ok with people liking it and having other opinions on it, and as said there are things I do like but I think they could have been executed better.
Im really sad about this, I wanted to get into the new She-ra cartoon but as it is, I wont be able to.
Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
In the mood for clawsome art?
Im always available for commissions!

Offline Knightfire

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
    • Growing Up is for Quitters
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 02:44:07 PM »

Wow, Hank Venture's She-Ra cosplay is on point.

And now I will never be able to unsee that!

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 05:52:18 PM »
I've been cautiously optimistic since the project was announced. I'm still reserving judgement (good or bad) until it's out and ready to watch. It's nice that they're moving away from the 80s designs, in my opinion. I know that they used those designs for ease of animation and toy creation, but animation has moved well past those kinds of tricks.

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Pet Collector
  • Doll Lover Forever After!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 06:42:47 PM »
I like the art style more than I thought I was going to tbh. I don't like how dominant the very cartoony style of art (with unrealistic-proportions and hardly any details, depth, or shading) has become recently. This one is a decent medium. It still lacks the detail and depth, but at least the proportions are more realistic than what is usually seen.

I have to agree with Sakuya on the forced diversity. That's something that bugs me. I would rather them introduce an amazing new character rather than change the race or sexuality of a pre-existing character solely for the diversity aspect.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 06:45:26 PM by Crimson Kitty »
(Profile Art Drawn By PuffPink)

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 07:14:20 PM »
I wanna see what they have too offer before i make my call.. the animation LOOKS good.. But i need more information at this point.  IF shera is supposed to be like 15.. or so.. i can live with the slimer figure..
She was like 21 in the original series tho.. i would like to see if they are going to make action figures of dolls of this.

Offline Belle Epoque

• Home Ick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »
It worries me that so many of the female figures of the new reboots are loosing their femininity.

The voluminous hair? The ruffle around the waist? She looks like a teenage athlete. That doesn't mean that she's 'loosing her femininity' [sic]. It just means that she doesn't look like a Cosmopolitan covergirl. She's dressed age-appropriately for both the character and the audience, and her body is a more realistic style than chesty, nipped-waist She-ra from the 80s.

Offline Monsterfan95

• Glue-Seepage Head
  • Fan of horror movies and scary characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 11:56:33 AM »
I think I'm the only one who doesn't like the new animation, it looks like something taken from Cartoon Network  :blink:

Offline Angelkitty21

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
    • Mistakenolive's Wall o' Stuff on Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 09:13:33 PM »
I'm optimistic about this too, storywise. It sounds like the characters are going to be more developed than the original show. The overall look of the show is good too.

She Ra's design though is going to take some getting used to. I finally realized what it reminded me of. XD

Seriously though, the completely flat chested look just makes her look preteenish (or boyish if you will), but Adora looks at least like a teen. It kinda feels like they couldn't pin down an age with her. I'm so used to 80s She Ra being firmly an adult figure, so... I dunno. I do appreciate that the design is more interested in making her heroic rather than sexy, I realize that's important.

The headdress bugs me too, I wish they would've stuck closer to the original design. But like I said, just gonna take some getting used to. *Shrug*

I *am* excited for the prospect of new toys, particularly dolls. I also love that Glimmer is curvy  :biggrin:
♥♡♥

Offline RodimusKnight

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 07:57:49 AM »
I think I'm the only one who doesn't like the new animation, it looks like something taken from Cartoon Network  :blink:

Nope, I agree with you. Honestly It's even hard to figure out who the characters are supposed to be in a few cases. I needed someone to tell me the one picture had Glimmer and Bow in them.

Usually I'm pretty good about giving reboots a try, but I think this one is going to be an easy pass for me.

Offline Sakuya

• MIB Signature Jackson
  • Artist for hire!
    • View Profile
    • Sakuya's DA
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 12:53:06 PM »
It worries me that so many of the female figures of the new reboots are loosing their femininity.

The voluminous hair? The ruffle around the waist? She looks like a teenage athlete. That doesn't mean that she's 'loosing her femininity' [sic]. It just means that she doesn't look like a Cosmopolitan covergirl. She's dressed age-appropriately for both the character and the audience, and her body is a more realistic style than chesty, nipped-waist She-ra from the 80s.

Voluminous hair and ruffles arent all that makes what makes a girl. Today guys have long hair and some wear ruffles too.
It is not her outfit I am critesizing either, although it could do with some improving of the details. Problem with the "age approperiate" is that its so hard to tell what age she is actually supposed to be. As Adora she look between 16-19ish, but as She-ra she look like 10-12. If she is 12, yes its age approperiate, but then her Adora form is very wierd.
Hpw does it make sense for her to have curves and then transform to get square?
She actually get the anatomy of a boy. You can both easily make a slim and buffed girl without sacrificing her feminine anatomy, but they didnt they opted for a boy form.
That do not fit when She-ra is supposed to embody the feminine. And even female athletes have some curves, and she sure dont look like one.
Sakuyamon.deviantart.com

Offline furyXIV

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • in parentheses, let me stress the fact clearly
    • View Profile
    • Drawings, Plush, and Dolls
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 10:09:10 PM »
is anyone else bothered by how in the She-Ra screenshot it looks like the long part of her hair looks disconnected from her head? Maybe it'll look better in motion, but just looking at the still of it is really weird.
I dream of a day where I have shelves

Offline Sakuya

• MIB Signature Jackson
  • Artist for hire!
    • View Profile
    • Sakuya's DA
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 12:11:57 AM »
is anyone else bothered by how in the She-Ra screenshot it looks like the long part of her hair looks disconnected from her head? Maybe it'll look better in motion, but just looking at the still of it is really weird.

Yea I have seen people call it a hair cape XD
Sakuyamon.deviantart.com

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 04:11:02 AM »

No you're not.  I saw the original series, and the animation was better (IMO).  My only complaint was that they could've used a few more voice actors.  In this version, She-Ra looks more like a boy wearing a fall.  Can't they make her look a little more feminine?

Also, it sounds like her story is different from the original.  In the original version, she and Adam are twins that were born to the King & Queen on Eternia, and Hordak comes to steal both, but only manages to capture Adora.  (Hordak and the Horde were originally on Eternia for a time.)  She is then raised by the Horde on Etheria and kept in control thanx to Shadow Weaver's spells.  When Adam comes to find her, he brings her Sword of Protection.  She is an adult now.
 Initially she sees him as just another rebel, but when he shows her how evil the Horde really is, and when the Sorceress tells her *who* they both are, Adora is able to break free from the spell and become She-Ra, and her horse Spirit becomes Swift Wind.  Adora returns home to meet her parents, but cannot stay for the rebellion needs her on Etheria. 
The story is a little more deep than that, but I'll leave it at that.  You can see her story in He-Man & She-Ra:  Secret Of the Sword on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX2wEvdWFbI
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:19:27 AM by Wuvmykitties »
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Quillette

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2018, 11:20:27 PM »
So...What is with everyone’s obsession with She-ra’s boobs?  :lol:

To say that she doesn't look feminine because she falls under a body type not usually seen for Western animated female characters kind of implies that there is only one female body type that is feminine, the full body hour-glass, and that just feels so limiting. As does the idea that if they don’t have a large chest they are suddenly a child. Boobs like people come in all sizes.

I grew up watching the old He-man and She-ra cartoons and personally I am happy to see She-ra looking like she can kick butt now and not just pose dramatically. (Watch the old shows, seriously, watch them, they are so bad and full of more dramatic posing then a runway show) I am greatly looking forward to this show and I am seriously hoping it doesn’t suck. She-ra not having large boobs and hips and looking like she’s 30 pretending to be 16 is literally the last thing I am concerned about.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 11:31:32 PM by Quillette »

Offline Sakuya

• MIB Signature Jackson
  • Artist for hire!
    • View Profile
    • Sakuya's DA
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 01:56:13 AM »
So...What is with everyoneís obsession with She-raís boobs?  :lol:

To say that she doesn't look feminine because she falls under a body type not usually seen for Western animated female characters kind of implies that there is only one female body type that is feminine, the full body hour-glass, and that just feels so limiting. As does the idea that if they donít have a large chest they are suddenly a child. Boobs like people come in all sizes.

I grew up watching the old He-man and She-ra cartoons and personally I am happy to see She-ra looking like she can kick butt now and not just pose dramatically. (Watch the old shows, seriously, watch them, they are so bad and full of more dramatic posing then a runway show) I am greatly looking forward to this show and I am seriously hoping it doesnít suck. She-ra not having large boobs and hips and looking like sheís 30 pretending to be 16 is literally the last thing I am concerned about.

No, that is not at all what people are implying!
It's just that men and women do have differenses in their physique and build, men usually have more boxy builds while women have more curves and softer builds. Of course there are overlapses but those are rarer.

The issue here is that they used a male build for She-ra. The technique they used to draw her is often used to illustrate boys.
There is a fault in the logic when you do this to a character whos essence is built on her gender. She is called She-Ra, she was supposed to appeal to girls, she is He-mans twin and female counter part.

It feels even wierder to have Adora, who is shown to be pretty curvy, transform into a male body and don the name She-ra. Its not even meant to go all the way like in Mahou shoujo ore. (A comedy anime about girls transforming into magical guys to fight muscle squirrels)

I have to argue that girls can kick butt and still look feminine. And Ill prove it!

This is my edit of their design.

This is my own redesign.
Sakuyamon.deviantart.com

Offline Angelkitty21

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
    • Mistakenolive's Wall o' Stuff on Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 04:54:50 AM »
@quillette- alright, you got a very good point there. I guess what bugs me is that her boobs disappear for no apparent reason. Well, I guess she could be wearing breastplate. Or something *shrug*

The more fanart I see on Tumblr, the more the look grows on me.

@sakuya- that art is awesome :D
♥♡♥

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 05:23:03 AM »
I like Sakuya's version better too!  And I agree with her completely. 
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4