collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Amazon boycott?  (Read 800 times)

Offline lilyflower332

• Trade Count: (0)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
Amazon boycott?
« on: July 11, 2018, 11:30:42 AM »
I'm curious if anyone is participating. Additionally, if you all know solid alternatives to ordering dolls off amazon, i'd love to know.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon boycott?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 11:34:52 AM »
I missed this.  Why are they being boycotted?

Offline furyXIV

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • in parentheses, let me stress the fact clearly
    • View Profile
    • Drawings, Plush, and Dolls
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 12:00:55 PM »
from what I can tell Amazon workers are striking due to low wages and poor working conditions and are asking the public to boycott Amazon during prime days as a show of support. The strike seems to mostly be taking place in Spain from what I can tell.
I dream of a day where I have shelves

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 12:26:35 PM »
from what I can tell Amazon workers are striking due to low wages and poor working conditions and are asking the public to boycott Amazon during prime days as a show of support. The strike seems to mostly be taking place in Spain from what I can tell.

Oh okay.  Thanks, fury.

Yeah I see a few article on it now.  I hadn't heard anything about it before now.

Offline WinterwolfR

• Fearleader
  • I love purple!
    • View Profile
    • LnRworks shop
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 02:50:16 PM »
I think I heard something about that like, they weren't allowed to have bathroom breaks and it was super hot. Hope they are ok ^^;
At LnRworks I sell doll clothes, dolls, earrings, baby clothes and tote bags. Plus shipping for doll clothes and earrings start at $2.50! https://www.storenvy.com/stores/736707-lnrworks

Offline lilyflower332

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 10:46:30 AM »
Penalized for taking bathroom breaks, penalized for being even more than 30sec late to work, water dispensers supposed to be full but always empty, the bus to the warehouse costing too much of the small wages they had, so workers started camping in the nearby woods, someone got really sick for repeated UTIs from being afraid to pee, others have collapsed due to dehydration...I'm sure theres more but i cant recall at the moment.
The strike is supposedly all of Prime week, so that in theory its hits them on the day they were supposed to have greatest profits.
Obviously I dont want to support them, but I'm poor, and have several hobbies that you generally need amazon for...

edit: also, apparently workers have gone on strike before, but amazon simply moves location to somewhere new, where they have different labor laws or something of the sort
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:48:13 AM by lilyflower332 »

Offline Sakuya

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
  • Artist for hire!
    • View Profile
    • Sakuya's DA
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 12:40:43 PM »
How disgusting! Where is the respect for the employees? They are supposed to be employees, not slaves! :(
Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
In the mood for clawsome art?
Im always available for commissions!

Offline RenegadeAngel

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Creeperific
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 08:16:49 PM »
^ The people in second/third world countries like China who make the toys themselves are treated much worse than that. But no one cares about these things unless it's happening in a first world country. How sad.

Offline BusyLizzie

• Clawsome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 06:18:14 PM »
Penalized for taking bathroom breaks, penalized for being even more than 30sec late to work, water dispensers supposed to be full but always empty, the bus to the warehouse costing too much of the small wages they had, so workers started camping in the nearby woods, someone got really sick for repeated UTIs from being afraid to pee, others have collapsed due to dehydration...I'm sure theres more but i cant recall at the moment.
The strike is supposedly all of Prime week, so that in theory its hits them on the day they were supposed to have greatest profits.
Obviously I dont want to support them, but I'm poor, and have several hobbies that you generally need amazon for...

edit: also, apparently workers have gone on strike before, but amazon simply moves location to somewhere new, where they have different labor laws or something of the sort

Um, hate to burst your bubble, but most of those stories have been debunked and the employees that reported these conditions admitted to lying to the press. I've worked for the company for over eight years, and believe me, I would NOT be working there if the conditions were like that. The lack of air conditioning was rectified 6 years ago and it affected one building that was built in the '70s and retro-fitted into an Amazon warehouse. The camping out thing only happened in the UK. US workers have NEVER gone on strike, because we don't have unions. Only the European buildings do and their labor laws don't cover all of the benefits the American workers have. No one stops you from using the restroom, there are water coolers that are connected into the water line for the building so they are never empty. Most buildings give out reusable water bottles to employees when they get hired so they can have water with them at their stations. We have onside medical reps that patrol the buildings at all times to make sure the employees are safe and healthy.

I'm not saying it's the best company in the world, but it's not nearly as bad as those slanderous articles would have you believe.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 01:35:05 AM »

Um, hate to burst your bubble, but most of those stories have been debunked and the employees that reported these conditions admitted to lying to the press. I've worked for the company for over eight years, and believe me, I would NOT be working there if the conditions were like that. The lack of air conditioning was rectified 6 years ago and it affected one building that was built in the '70s and retro-fitted into an Amazon warehouse. The camping out thing only happened in the UK. US workers have NEVER gone on strike, because we don't have unions. Only the European buildings do and their labor laws don't cover all of the benefits the American workers have. No one stops you from using the restroom, there are water coolers that are connected into the water line for the building so they are never empty. Most buildings give out reusable water bottles to employees when they get hired so they can have water with them at their stations. We have onside medical reps that patrol the buildings at all times to make sure the employees are safe and healthy.

I'm not saying it's the best company in the world, but it's not nearly as bad as those slanderous articles would have you believe.

The strike is taking place in Spain not the US. While conditions here might be fine its entirely possible the warehouses in Spain might have labor issues, especially if it's contracted out to a different company.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline lilyflower332

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 10:22:30 AM »

The strike is taking place in Spain not the US. While conditions here might be fine its entirely possible the warehouses in Spain might have labor issues, especially if it's contracted out to a different company.
Yup, its in spain, if i forgot to mention. Also, amazon is a big enough company as is. If there were better alternatives, i would love to hear them

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 01:46:36 AM »
I believe the incident in the UK was actually up in Scotland. I don't know how it was resolved, as Scotland has its own devolved parliament and would handle things like that itself, probably, but I can't imagine they just let it slide.

Union laws do differ between European countries, despite the EU there is a lot of stuff that individual countries deal with for themselves.

Most of the articles that I've read about the strike (which is now apparently also in Germany and Poland) relate to other aspects not mentioned in this thread. Not that they're not valid concerns, but it sounds like a very normal kind of strike to me.

The thing that flagged for me in reading the article is that they mention a lot of temporary staff, probably on zero hour contracts. We have a problem with these contracts in employment here as well, because they're unreliable as income for people but they can be both underused and exploited. Temporary staff may also not be covered by labour union membership. There are a lot of significant rules and regulations around unions...but they are essentially in place to protect the rights of the worker against mistreatment, unfair dismissal, and exploitation. Different unions obviously do this in a different way, and across different countries. But they are more likely to be protecting permanent staff, and exploitation is more likely to happen with temporary or agency/outsourced staff.

One of the things that has gone on over the last 10 years in London and perhaps other places is a campaign to bring university workers such as cleaners and caterers inhouse, so that they are protected by the university staff union, are offered the same working benefits and so on and so forth. Union protection is not an automatic thing when you get a job, you have to join the union and so on...and I know a lot of the outsourced workers had support from the Student Union, not from a labour union in the start of this campaign.

I suspect it's a lot more complicated than it appears. But one article talked about an hourly wage in Germany of 12. That's what, about $15? But that is the wage for permanent staff...which again makes me think the loophole is in the temporary contracts...not protected so effectively by labour union regulations.

我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline lilyflower332

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 01:33:28 PM »
who uses amazon smile? it donates to charity on your behalf, as long as you use the extension

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 03:10:12 PM »
who uses amazon smile? it donates to charity on your behalf, as long as you use the extension

I do. I use WWF because I feel like most people don't donate to animal charities enough.

I wish this was a thing I knew about years ago, I used Amazon wayyy more back then.

Offline DEStokes

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • MIB Collector
  • Beast Friend Forever After
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 07:27:08 PM »

I do. I use WWF because I feel like most people don't donate to animal charities enough.

I wish this was a thing I knew about years ago, I used Amazon wayyy more back then.

I use Amazon Smile, too.  My donation goes to a local wildlife rehabilitation center.