collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

August 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Positivity for the reboot?  (Read 957 times)

Offline lilyflower332

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
Positivity for the reboot?
« on: July 07, 2018, 09:29:01 PM »
Seems like no one has anything good to say about the reboot, and while i agree it isnt great, there's still a lot i like about it, and its what we have for now. No sense in moping about it!
Personally, i like the new basic designs of the main cast. I like Moanica and Ari, though i hope they dont replace anyone...I also dont mind most of the new molds.
Yes, theres been a lot of budget dolls, but the regular ones have been fun too. Electrified, Garden Ghouls, Welcome to MH, and Monster Family have all been lovely. I liked Ghoul's Beast pet as well, though i wished they had been the original pets. And even some of the budget dolls have had cute enough outfits i was tempted
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 09:34:56 PM by lilyflower332 »

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Positivity for the reboot?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 06:47:21 AM »
I think there are some things many people enjoy.  I haven't seen much dislike for Moanica, other than her taking Ghoulia's place.  Her design is gorgeous, and her few dolls actually kept a little bit of the creepy factor of the original dolls, with things like her brain purse, lung necklace, and bone tiara. 

There's also a lot of love for my favorite part, the new boy bodies.  They look so much better than the original bodies.  They were much more muscular and sturdy.

There's a lot of things people disliked, such as the cutesy doe-eyed expressions, the aging down of the characters' behaviors and attire, and the loss of anything freaky fabulous, but there are things to enjoy about it.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 09:17:00 AM »
I've tried to find as much positivity in the reboot too.  But it's not easy when fave characters get the watered down treatment. 

However, I agree with Konzern.  Moanica is freaky fab! 
The boys are more buff! 
I also liked some of the main ghouls' new sig outfits.  Since I didn't like their faces or bodies, I put the clothes on my G1 dolls.  I also enhanced Cleo's shoes and accessories with gold paint, to give her more class and sass.  (She is the daughter of a goddess!) 
With Frankie's outfit, I shortened her skirt so it was more of a miniskirt.  It's little things like that, that I've attempted to do to keep my interest in MH alive.
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 10:29:57 AM »
We actually have had "love for G2" threads in the past (http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,15128.0.html).  It's just an older topic now since most of our collective focus is on whether the brand will even be around for much longer.

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline DEStokes

• Trade Count: (+152)
  • MIB Collector
  • Beast Friend Forever After
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 12:07:40 PM »
I like the more expressive faces.  I like the new bodies, they feel tougher and more solid.  I love that my favorite, Rochelle, made it through to G2.  I really love the added details to the bodies like fur, vines, wrappings, and stitches.

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 12:45:57 PM »
I really like the shape of the new bodies.. they dont look like their spines about to snap now.
Also.. one thing i did enjoy about the reboot was the hair.. all of my reboot dolls have SUPER great hair.
The best being garden ghouls twyla.. SOO SOFT!

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 03:56:48 PM »
We actually have had "love for G2" threads in the past (http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,15128.0.html).  It's just an older topic now since most of our collective focus is on whether the brand will even be around for much longer.

This is a good point. We're not talking about the reboot much right now, positively or otherwise, because most of us have already said our piece and moved on from the subject.

Offline furyXIV

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • in parentheses, let me stress the fact clearly
    • View Profile
    • Drawings, Plush, and Dolls
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 06:16:55 PM »
I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I actually prefer Cleo's reboot face to her old one. her eyes seem less like they're wrapping around her head on the newer doll :shrug:
I dream of a day where I have shelves

Offline lilyflower332

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 07:55:15 PM »
My bad you guys, i'm still relatively new here and didn't see any posts about it.
To be fair, i still only really hear negativity about it because i'm mostly on instagram as of now

Offline Fantoma

• Wonky Eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 06:12:03 PM »
Uh... there's absolutely nothing I like about the hideous reboot. Not a single positive point. I seriously dislike everything about it.

:ghost:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 06:14:42 PM by Fantoma »
"I don't snoop in your unlife, so please don't snoop in mine" :ghost:

Online Sakuya

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
  • Artist for hire!
    • View Profile
    • Sakuya's DA
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 04:41:32 AM »
I like the werewolves new wolf forms. I wish they could have made a big werewolf figure of Clawdeen.
Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
In the mood for clawsome art?
Im always available for commissions!

Offline Monsterfan95

• Glue-Seepage Head
  • Fan of horror movies and scary characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 07:25:50 PM »
Personally I think there is nothing positive about the reboot, some people like the new bodies, I prefer the old ones.

Offline Zombelina

• Pastel Gothgoyle Princess
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Spooktacular
  • Scarily Ever After
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 01:36:55 AM »
Let's keep this thread on topic with only positives about the reboot, please!   ^.^

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 06:56:32 AM »
I'm still of the opinion that if the reboot was the first line that released we would have still loved it. That video that leaked honestly made many people dead set against it from the beginning.

Tbh I think a lot of the hate the reboot got on social media hurt it. Kids are impressionable and if someone popular like Blue Duckie was saying that the new MH dolls sucked and that Shoppies were great they are going to go with the Shoppies.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »
My bad you guys, i'm still relatively new here and didn't see any posts about it.
To be fair, i still only really hear negativity about it because i'm mostly on instagram as of now

Oh that's quite alright.  I didn't mean that you were wrong for starting a new thread on the topic (the old thread went inactive and got locked anyway).  I meant more that we do have fans here who enjoy the reboot, we're just not talking about it very much lately.
I can only imagine how bad the hate is on social media. :blink:

For my part, I really, really love the G2 animations!  I was never a fan of the G1 films or webisodes, but the new animations are so adorable, so beautifully animated, and very well-written.  My whole family really enjoys them.

Kids are impressionable and if someone popular like Blue Duckie was saying that the new MH dolls sucked and that Shoppies were great they are going to go with the Shoppies.

OMG you are so right.  There are certain Youtubers that I hate for my daughter to even watch.  Not because there's anything wrong with them, but because every single time she watches one of their videos she'll suddenly start asking me for some toy that she's never had any interest in before. :annoyed:
They have a lot of sway over what kids buy, and the toy manufacturers themselves know this (just look at all of the gifts that these Youtubers get sent by manufacturers wanting them to promote their products).

Offline lilyflower332

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 11:17:07 AM »
I think some of the body details are nice too, though a bit of a shame for customizers, since it was mostly Cleo and Clawdeen with the new molded stuff. I do like that they're bringing the fashion packs back as well. And again, the little siblings have been something fans have been talking about for years. Yes, poor articulation, but smaller dolls generally have that.
And while i'm not as into the show and movies anymore, the animation style is a lot cuter, in my opinion. I wish certain murky details about continuity would get cleared up though, like what characters still exist and so on. I think i heard a theory that G2 is somewhat of a prequel to G1? Anyone know?

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 11:31:54 AM »
I think i heard a theory that G2 is somewhat of a prequel to G1? Anyone know?

That seems like that's probably just a wishful fan theory to be honest. 
For one, much of G2 directly contradicts G1 in a way that it couldn't possibly have happened first and then happened again in a totally different manner (e.g.: the way in which the main characters meet and the origin for the school itself).

For another, while I know that Mattel was hesitant to call the reboot a reboot, they also heavily implied as much.  I don't recall them ever saying anything that indicated that this was a prequel to the original story. 
They did indicate that none of the original characters had been removed from the canon, but not that G2 was necessarily in the same continuity as G1.  You would think that if they had intended for G2 to be a prequel that they simply would've said so.  But again, how do you make a prequel to a story in which we've already seen Frankie meet the other ghouls... and then go back in time and show her meet the same ghouls all over again in a totally different way than how she originally met them? :blink:

Offline Mickey Rumble

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 12:12:52 PM »
I do like that they're bringing the fashion packs back as well.

I like that they do this too, because most of my MH purchases in the foreseeable future will be thrifted G1 dolls, and they're sometimes nude.

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 03:42:25 PM »
I have a few G2 dolls I like but in general the reboot of the storyline and characters I think is the thing that detached me from actively seeking MH. It's weird that it's that way as some of the reboot dolls are nice, but the loss of Ghoulia and the reinvention of Frankie as the smart ghoul bothers me something crazy. I don't like the reboot of the storyline or the loss of Ghoulia. But that doesn't mean all the G2 dolls should be dismissed.

The one big positive about the G2 line is...glue head has basically vanished. I haven't had a single glue head incident with a G2 doll.

Also, Lagoona and Rochelle are both very pretty in reboot, and I agree, so is Cleo. I don't like Lala, Frankie or Clawdeen's reboot but I never liked Clawdeen before anyway, and I wasn't huge on Lala either. I do miss Frankie's old face, but you win some and lose some.

So it isn't totally terrible. It's just a refocus of the product. I don't like the direction, personally - but I think what's more important is that it doesn't seem to have worked and now we're talking about MH disappearing. I always feel if a reboot is popular with the kids then it's fine...even if it doesn't appeal to me.
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 05:51:07 PM »
I like Cleo's hair in her Dance the Fright away release. Is about the nicest way to give her that luxurious golden strands avoiding the use of tinsel.
There are little things here and there that are nice details or different options of doing stuff in these reboot dolls. I'm not a fan of most of the changes though, so I have little else to add  ^^;

Post Merge: July 11, 2018, 06:03:01 PM

Oh! I just remembered! I also like that Lagoona's eyebrows match her hair. Or at least the blue strands. I never understood why she had purple eyebrows before. Her new face is less prone to look walleyed
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:03:01 PM by nassib »
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr