collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

October 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Designing your own fabric print?  (Read 467 times)

Offline VoidChilde

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
Designing your own fabric print?
« on: June 13, 2018, 09:23:11 PM »
Hey guys!
So I'm trying to make an outfit with a very specific theme and I can't find any print that would fit so I thought I'd design it myself. Problem is, Spoonflower is super expensive when you're Canadian and just need a little bit of fabric with a print (I definitely don't need a whole yard). I'm making a pair of knee high socks, a graphic t-shirt and probably an oversized hoodie - I'm going to make the design for the shirt front and I need two different but matching prints for the socks and hoodie. Someone mentioned on my blog that there are printable fabric sheets and that @Kara Zor-El might know something about it? In any case, if anyone has tips and/or experience with making your own fabric prints/designs, I'd love to hear them!

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
Re: Designing your own fabric print?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 11:01:46 PM »
You can also order swatches and fat quarters from Spoonflower, which are pretty much ideal for dolly-sized clothing. They're still pricey, but probably better quality and cheaper than at-home printing.

Test swatches (8" x 8")are US$5, and fat quarters vary by fabric type.

Offline saharali

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Vampire Slayer
  • Power Princess
    • View Profile
    • Doll Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 01:19:09 AM »
I ordered, I think, 4 swatches to Australia and it cost me about 20 bucks, and that was more than enough fabric for a nice outfit for a MH girl

Offline VoidChilde

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 02:02:35 AM »
I should've mentioned that it's for a 17" girl so I need quite a bit more than for a regular MH doll. I also need to plan for possible mishaps since I never get it right the first time.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »
I should've mentioned that it's for a 17" girl so I need quite a bit more than for a regular MH doll. I also need to plan for possible mishaps since I never get it right the first time.

Fat quarters are more than enough fabric for a 17" doll.  I use fat quarters for my 1/4 scale dolls all the time, and I always have quite a bit left over for another outfit or even two, depending on what I'm making.

As far as your question about custom printing fabric, you can actually make printable fabric for use in your at-home printer.  MyFroggyStuff has done this a few times and has a great tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoYiQPcZW4A (skip to 2:25).  Bare in mind that this option is not without potential risk, but it might be worth trying if your printer can handle it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 10:06:14 AM by SaelaVe »

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 03:18:27 PM »
Another option is to use printable transfer sheets.  Printable fabric is sometimes a little too stiff for me, but if you use a transfer sheet, you can transfer it onto a more flexible material.  I haven't used it but I know some here have.

I have actually been saving images that I like, and then when the time comes, I can resize them to the scale I need and print out.  Just need to find the right program to do that....and TIME.
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4