collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Calendar

June 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Can I bring in my MSC-sprayed head to cure once it's dry?  (Read 113 times)

Offline whiskeyii

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Stiff
    • View Profile
Can I bring in my MSC-sprayed head to cure once it's dry?
« on: June 13, 2018, 07:14:24 PM »
Hello all!

I'm new to doll customizing, and I read the thread on sealants and am well-versed on all the safety requirements (respirator and vapor cartridges, check!), but my question is: once MSC has dried on my doll's head, can I safely bring it indoors to cure for the remaining hours? I live in Florida, and I'm concerned that leaving the head outside for 12-24 hours is a dangerous gamble, particularly during summer.

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
Re: Can I bring in my MSC-sprayed head to cure once it's dry?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 11:07:58 PM »
I don't think it should be too bad, so long as the room you're putting them in as adequate ventilation. As a precaution, maybe put it into a bathroom that has a window you can crack open, and close the door to the rest of the house? It's recommended to let MSC cure for 24 hours, but a lot of people go straight back to work after about an hour or so.

I typically leave mine outside for at least 20-30 minutes minimum, because I do more than one coat at a time, and use a high-sided box as a "backsplash" to keep the spray from getting everywhere. When I'm done spraying, I put a covering (usually a sheet of cardboard with a little rock) over the part of the box the doll's head's in, to prevent dust from landing on her face while it dries.

Offline whiskeyii

• Stiff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 07:54:28 AM »
Sadly since I live in an apartment, there arent many indoor ventilation options open to me.

Id heard that MSC was toxic only in its aerosol and liquid forms, so I thought it would be fairly safe to bring a sprayed head inside once completely dry, but I just want to double check since Im not totally sure what the curing process entails beyond it dries up.

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 09:10:27 AM »
I do this, and the odor isn't too bad once the initial drying has happened.
I make the dolls Mattel won't.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 09:51:15 AM »
Yes, you can.  It only takes about 30 to 40 minutes for the head to dry enough so that it's safe to come indoors.  It may still have a faint residual smell, but nothing too bad or harmful.  And you'll only really notice the smell if you go sniffin' it. :lol:

This is exactly what I do.  I spray, allow the head to stay outside for between 30 mins and an hour, and then bring it inside for the remaining cure time.

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline whiskeyii

• Stiff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 12:41:50 PM »
Awesome, thanks for all the help everyone!