collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 14
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Cyber dreadlocks?  (Read 960 times)

Offline VoidChilde

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
Cyber dreadlocks?
« on: June 05, 2018, 09:31:57 PM »
Hey guys!
I've been sick a lot lately so I haven't been super active but I'm very slowly working on a cybergoth custom and right now I'm stuck on the wig. I want to make the traditional pigtails look and I found a variety of ribbons and threads to use. My current issue is with the dreadlocks. I have a ton of black brushed acrylic yarn that I put aside for later use and I thought I could use it but Corsetkitten's method (water + soap + rolling) is not working. I tried doing something similar but using a bit of white glue in the water, basically making a very liquid mod podge kind of thing and not only does it take forever to make but it also makes the dreadlocks pretty stiff. They're still bendable and the glue doesn't show or anything but it's not exactly what I'm trying to do. So does anyone have suggestions for either a different method for dreadlocks or maybe something else I could do to achieve the cybergoth pigtails look on this wig?

Offline Sendra

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
Re: Cyber dreadlocks?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 04:55:07 PM »
Have you tried backcombing the dreads? I know you can make kanekalon dreads this way, but not sure about acrylic yarn. If you want to give it a go with kanekalon, you can get a huge thing of it really cheap on AliExpress.

Offline VoidChilde

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 02:00:52 AM »
I tried backcombing since it was the only thing I hadn't tried yet and acrylic yarn just...doesn't take to it. It knotted a bit and then pretty much just fell apart. I'll order some kanekalon, I usually don't work with synthetic fibers (which is why the brushed yarn was set aside) but I mean, they're cyberdreads with a bunch of nylon threads, ribbons and foam strips so it works.

Offline HollowedBone

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • One-Eyed Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 03:07:06 PM »
Depending on the size you'd want you could try needle-felting them?
So Much Fabric So Few Dolls!!

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 08:31:47 PM »
Hey guys!
I've been sick a lot lately so I haven't been super active but I'm very slowly working on a cybergoth custom and right now I'm stuck on the wig. I want to make the traditional pigtails look and I found a variety of ribbons and threads to use. My current issue is with the dreadlocks. I have a ton of black brushed acrylic yarn that I put aside for later use and I thought I could use it but Corsetkitten's method (water + soap + rolling) is not working. I tried doing something similar but using a bit of white glue in the water, basically making a very liquid mod podge kind of thing and not only does it take forever to make but it also makes the dreadlocks pretty stiff. They're still bendable and the glue doesn't show or anything but it's not exactly what I'm trying to do. So does anyone have suggestions for either a different method for dreadlocks or maybe something else I could do to achieve the cybergoth pigtails look on this wig?

Not sure what glue you tried, but if you're still looking for a solution, maybe try a fabric glue that remains pliable after drying?  FabricTac might be it, but I'm not 100% sure. Good luck!

Sorry to hear you've been sick.  :(
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Sendra

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 04:15:34 PM »
So, I remembered this thread and since I have access to viscose roving, I figured I'd try out a modified version CorsetKitten's method.

I started with with two thin pieces of viscose roving. I used a very small bit of soap (like just rubbing my finger across a the nozzle of the dispenser) and some water and rolled each one of the pieces up. I then twirled both of those pieces together, adding a bit of watered down tacky glue onto my fingers while I did this. It's still in the process of drying, but I figured I'd show you the preliminary results. I also tried just rolling one larger piece, and it still seems to work, too.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:26:51 PM by Sendra »