collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Do you ever feel... overwhelmed by your collection?  (Read 1859 times)

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever feel... overwhelmed by your collection?
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2018, 12:04:04 PM »
What overwhelms me is mostly the idea of cleaning them.
I have now idea how they manage to collect so much dust and it's a pain to see them all dirty while on display.
But if I take them all down for a cleaning session, it would be like the activity for the weekend and I get tired just planning it. ^^;

Yeah, the cleaning of a collection CAN feel daunting. These are some things I've been doing to help me feel less dis/stressed about keeping my collection clean.

nassib, a friend gave me an ostrich feather duster, and that has been the BEST thing for cleaning my dolls!!! Practically effortless to give them a few swipes. And even kinda fun. Their hair tends to get a little static-y, but otherwise it's been great.

Also, a far more experienced doll collector than I said she keeps the ceiling fan on 'low' all the time in her doll room (which is a bedroom in their house) - she says that any dust in the air doesn't settle that way. She says she never has to dust.

If you have forced-air heat and AC, consider having your ducts cleaned. When our condo was new, we never had to dust - but now 15 years later, seems there's always dust everywhere.
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Fantoma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bad Box Hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 03:53:20 PM »
I did feel overwhelmed by my MH collection during my first 2 years of collecting as I was an avid completist. I needed to have 1 of each dolls, even for the characters I did not like because they were all so unique, edgy and different, even the ones I did not like. I eventually started to realize I need to only buy the ones I truly liked. It reached the point where I decided to only buy the dolls representing my Top 5 favorite characters, which downsized my collection even more and now, I have about 12 dolls, when I used to have over 200 (which is still less than some MH fans). Now, I no longer feel overwhelmed by my collection. But to be fair, I think the atrocious reboot played a huge part in this.
"I don't snoop in your unlife, so please don't snoop in mine" :ghost:

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 08:15:35 PM »
I have now idea how they manage to collect so much dust and it's a pain to see them all dirty while on display.
But if I take them all down for a cleaning session, it would be like the activity for the weekend and I get tired just planning it. ^^;

My to-do list today includes doing just one row of the Billy shelves my dolls are on. So the bottom most shelf of each case. Then I'll do the next shelf another day (maybe not tomorrow, we'll see how I go). I'm going to go through a lot of canned air over the next few days. @_@

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 07:37:26 AM »
I have no idea how they manage to collect so much dust and it's a pain to see them all dirty while on display.

My to-do list today includes doing just one row of the Billy shelves my dolls are on. So the bottom most shelf of each case. Then I'll do the next shelf another day (maybe not tomorrow, we'll see how I go). I'm going to go through a lot of canned air over the next few days. @_@

lol I know
I can do with planning a cleaning just 1 shelf per weekend and that's fine for the dolls on my bedroom and in the kids bedroom.
The issue is for the ones on the living room (yes, dolls have taken over my house since a long time ago).
One individual shelf has around 90 dolls as it's the top shelf of an entertainment center, that allows 4 rows of dolls in makeshift bleachers  ^^; ^^;

Post Merge: October 19, 2018, 07:46:38 AM

Yeah, the cleaning of a collection CAN feel daunting. These are some things I've been doing to help me feel less dis/stressed about keeping my collection clean.

nassib, a friend gave me an ostrich feather duster, and that has been the BEST thing for cleaning my dolls!!! Practically effortless to give them a few swipes. And even kinda fun. Their hair tends to get a little static-y, but otherwise it's been great.

Also, a far more experienced doll collector than I said she keeps the ceiling fan on 'low' all the time in her doll room (which is a bedroom in their house) - she says that any dust in the air doesn't settle that way. She says she never has to dust.

If you have forced-air heat and AC, consider having your ducts cleaned. When our condo was new, we never had to dust - but now 15 years later, seems there's always dust everywhere.

I have a feather duster and a synthetic one. They do the trick quite well if accompany by a paint brush and a soft cloth, but I still need to remove the dolls from their display.
In my room and in my daughters' room, we have a ceiling fans in low, oddly that's where the dust settles the more.  :shrug:

The AC I have is a mini split in the living room so there are no ducts and the filters get wash and clean every 3 months. The dolls near on the living room are the ones that normally have less dust, but the amount of dolls together is greater as mentioned in the comment above. 
So if I want to clean the 23-25 dolls on the back row I need to get the 60+ dolls on the front off first  :haha:

We manage and boyfriend always helps as he has a collection of his own too. So I do like that cleaning dollies always becomes a family activity. But after a couple of hours we are always tired  ^^;
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:46:38 AM by nassib »
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr