collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

September 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29

Author Topic: Do you ever feel... overwhelmed by your collection?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
Do you ever feel... overwhelmed by your collection?
« on: May 28, 2018, 11:52:22 AM »
...Because I think Iím finally at that point. :/ I feel like my collection has just become too MUCH, and Iím not enjoying any of it as much as I did when it was smaller and more focused. Displaying them has become a chore, since I now have to dig through a ton of boxes to find what Iím looking for. Iíd love to sell some of it off and get back to having a small, well-loved collection instead of a giant, chaotic, messy one.

Do you/have you felt this way before? How did you go about downsizing (the hugeness of my doll stash is intimidating, lol)?

Offline darkcatra25

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever feel... overwhelmed by your collection?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 03:10:05 AM »
I did, I was at a point where I had to collect them all and at some point I think I had all of them, but I looked more at them and got overwhelmed. So I decided that I would slowly sell my least favorites and got it to a point where I have only the ones I really love, once I started it was a lot easier than I thought.

Offline neon_jellyfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 05:58:48 AM »
Just out of curiosity - how many dolls are we talking about? I know this is very individual, but I'd like to know what is/was the overwhelming amount for you two. I don't feel overwhelmed by my collection yet, but I was recently thinking about how many dolls am I able to handle and if / when will my collection be too much for me...

Offline Evilunicorn

• Down Undah Diva
  • *porg noise*
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 07:41:50 AM »
I'm pretty much at this point too. I guess it's good the MH is really slowing down on releasing dolls because I'm not sure how many more I can get before it's just too overwhelming. A good amount have come and gone over the years, but I still have a good chunk! I'm mostly overwhelmed when it comes to the semi-annual dusting. It takes a few hours!!!

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 08:57:58 AM »
Just out of curiosity - how many dolls are we talking about? I know this is very individual, but I'd like to know what is/was the overwhelming amount for you two. I don't feel overwhelmed by my collection yet, but I was recently thinking about how many dolls am I able to handle and if / when will my collection be too much for me...

If weíre talking strictly MH... I have around 400 unique dolls altogether. ^^;  Most are mint and complete. Then I have some baits which I really need to go through and thin out, since I have no intention of making THAT many customs. I have around 100 EAH as well.

Honestly though? My MH/EAH collection isnít the problemóI can handle organizing and displaying that many dolls. The problem is the rest of my collection, which is a hodge-podge of many other brands. Altogether, I probably have about 1200 dolls. :blink: Sadly, most of said dolls are neglected and boxed away... Whereas I find time for my MH/EAH and a few other lines (OUaZ, Bratzillaz, EQG), a lot of those other dolls just end up in perma-storage. :/ Itís a shame, and Iíd rather they went to someone who would appreciate and enjoy them.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 09:44:08 AM »
I certainly don't feel overwhelmed by my Monster High collection, as I still don't have many dolls. I've been collecting since October and have 25 dolls so far (plus 6 EAH dolls). My largest collection by far is my MLP one, been collecting that since 2011 and have at least 600 ponies, but even that doesn't really overwhelm me, but I am frustrated that since my room is so small, my ponies, and most of my other collections, are pretty cramped. I've started to work on getting more shelves up on my walls in an attempt to fix this problem though. But I still have to keep a lot of collection stuff in storage, mostly a lot of my Sanrio and Pokemon items. Plus most of my MLP playsets and accessories.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 09:53:47 AM »
I'm not sure I have quite that many dolls but I do have a lot of small figures like MLPs and LPS, those might be in the thousands. It's more than I can currently display. I do want to get more shelves and display them someday so I don't want to get rid of them. And if I see a good deal I need to get it now especially with dolls because once they are out of stores my only options will be getting them from a collector and paying collector pricing or from the thrift where they will be missing clothes and accessories and have ratty hair and other issues. I often hear people say to pack things up in a tote for a while and if you don't miss them get rid of them but I'd add an extra step. If after they been packed away you don't feel any joy when you go through them that's when you should let them go.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »
I did, yes.  I got to a point where my collection just felt too big to appreciate.  I was regularly finding dolls that I had completely forgotten I even owned because I was pouring all of my attention into a handful of dolls while the rest were being completely ignored.
I thinned down my collection by quite a lot, and now I feel better about it.  But truthfully, it could stand to be thinned down a bit more.  I've gone back to collecting action figures and haven't bought a new doll in a very long time nowóand I have no intention of buying any new dolls for the foreseeable futureóso I'll probably get rid of a few more before the year's out.

Having said all that, I tend to feel overwhelmed by even a small amount of [what I perceive to be] unnecessary clutter.  My family has a history of hoarding and I think that has caused me to be very wary/borderline afraid of owning too much stuff.  So I will regularly go through my belongings and various collections and cull anything and everything that I don't actively use/enjoy/display anymore.
I do this with toys, clothes, kitchen gadgets and utensils, books... basically anything that starts to pile up. ^^;

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 05:07:06 PM »
My collection itself.. no. Displaying everything.. ooooh yeah. x__x; I'll get it all up eventually!

Offline Soulspice

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 03:27:38 PM »
I just collect the basic ones of each character, so I dont have that many.
Plus the CAMs, and six customs (Lauren, Molly, Boo-Lu, Grimmily, Madison and Zori)
Then I have all the Spice Girls dolls (plus unreleased custom Ginger Spice ones, and two custom sets from their 2007 Return Tour and the 2012 Olympics, about 80 dolls)
And then all the Power Rangers teams from over 25 seasons.

I like minimalistic displaying, so i have them in stands inside big Ikea glass cabinets. I should take some pics!

Offline furyXIV

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • in parentheses, let me stress the fact clearly
    • View Profile
    • Drawings, Plush, and Dolls
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 07:48:19 PM »
i feel a bit overwhelmed by my collection sometimes, but I think that's mostly because I don't have a designed space for them and I had too many to reasonably display in a dorm room, cause I only have like 50 dolls  ^^;
I dream of a day where I have shelves

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 05:55:34 PM »
Not really.
My dolls are something that has always made me happy and brought me pleasure..
The hard part is finding places to keep the ones still in boxes.. the ones out of them are easy.. i have TONS of shelf space.
But no.. they were and still are always kind of a retreat from reality for me, just for a while.
We cant be princess' or were wolves or mermaids or fairy queens.
But our dolls can.. maybe its pure escapism on my part.. I have had a hard time of it the last few years, having them
to help cope.. just a moment of stillness.. helps.
I probably have to many..
I dont think ive ever forgotten one.
i do think im probably starting to taper off a bit because most of the modern current dolls
just do nothing for me.
even monster high after Mermaid blue, has lost my interest.. never thought id say that.. but the
new stuff just doesnt grab me.
still ya never know and i dont think i will ever quit..
specially if i find good prices.
each to their own i suppose.

Offline RevengeSeeker

• Two Left Hands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 04:49:24 AM »
I just collect the basic ones of each character, so I dont have that many.
Plus the CAMs, and six customs (Lauren, Molly, Boo-Lu, Grimmily, Madison and Zori)
Then I have all the Spice Girls dolls (plus unreleased custom Ginger Spice ones, and two custom sets from their 2007 Return Tour and the 2012 Olympics, about 80 dolls)
And then all the Power Rangers teams from over 25 seasons.

I like minimalistic displaying, so i have them in stands inside big Ikea glass cabinets. I should take some pics!

Please do! Im a huge Spice Girls fan too.

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 04:33:14 PM »
I'm VERY overwhelmed by mine at the moment. Not because I feel like I have too many, but because I'm finally getting around to sorting out what I'm selling and what I'm keeping, which involves matching up clothes and accessories to the doll they came with. Not fun when a good 60% of your collection came from yard sales and therefore had no semblance of organization. XD

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 03:22:18 AM »
I have banished my MH dolls to the shelves over my TV and the table. Although I have a few here in London, too. I am contemplating another purge, though. I want to have the dolls I like most, and nothing I don't need. I am not minimalist as a rule, but this collection is kind of like that for me.

My Jem dolls are the only other doll collection I have but they have a purpose built cabinet which was put in when our rooms were redone years ago, and so I make sure that dolls on display fit in the cabinet nicely and that keeps me happy. I did once feel overwhelmed by my Jems and then realised that I hate Jem herself, so why bother having her in the collection? After removing Jem, Rio and all the outfits I didn't really like that much, my collection became much more appealing to me.

I could never do that with my ponies, though. I am often overwhelmed by them in terms of finding space, but I would never let them go :/
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Mad_Malady

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »
Definitely.  I have probably 100 only.  The biggest issue for me is that i play with 90% of mine.  I have 2 Barbie houses & 2 finnby ikea shelves for my dolls. 

When i get too ill or depressed to interact with them it just looks like a mess and a waste of space.  So, I'll usually line then all back up for display... Then tear that apart in a few weeks when i feel like playing again.

I have 10 dolls in boxes and am working on getting used ones of them so i can play with them & not be tempted to open anymore.

Playing with dolls is very therapeutic for me.  And i say play, but i make things for them and customize in addition to writing out adventure stories & taking pictures. On days i can't seem to feel my friend in there ill tinker with cams and make a new friend.  MH dolls are the most enriching aspect of my chronic illness life.

I honestly exhaust myself messing with dolls.  Anything that mentally draining must be doing it's part to keep my mind sharp!  It's certainly good patience practice.

I've had periods where i remove ones i feel like selling and store them to get a feel for selling, but they eventually come back out and I've never sold a single Monster High doll.

Im aware that i have a collection that could appreciate in value and i could make money off of.  But, i sold my vintage Spectra collection in a dire time & miss it and don't feel good about that, so i think the regret of letting go of monster high dolls, for me, would be monstrous.

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 01:24:58 AM »
I know I'm rezzing a semi-dead thread, but this happened to me last night and I had a bit of a panic. I think I was just tired and stressed from some other things going on, but I went to bed last night (my dolls are on display on shelves in the bedroom) and just stared at them before falling asleep. I kept thinking about how we have books in boxes, and how many would fit on those shelves if I didn't have the dolls.

And then my brain started calculating whether it would even be worth selling the dolls in the current market, and panicking over that...

... but then I woke up this morning and the feeling was gone. I think I may need to clean up the shelves and change the layout of the dolls more often, to keep things fresh and interesting, maybe? Or else migrate some of the dolls into a different room so I'm not staring at them before sleeping after a hard day.

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 03:35:29 PM »
Hi Lhia! So scary, but glad you didn't have frightmares, and that the feeling passed after some rest.

I've been packing up mine to move to a new house, and it seems endless. I'm definitely looking forward to getting the dolls unpacked and organized.
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 05:59:51 PM »
Not with these dolls, since I only have like 4, but for sure.

About a month ago, I decided I no longer wanted all of my "Superhero" Funko POPs (Various DC Comics and the common female DC Bombshells).
I packed them all up, went to 2nd and Charles, and sold them all (for a horrible price). Honestly, I don't regret it at all.
I just stopped wanting to collect those and just be done with it. Didn't want the hassle of shipping individually and dealing with that.

A similar thing is happening to my DCSHG dolls. I am not ready to get rid of them, but I am constantly thinking "Man.. I don't really want most of these anymore." I pretty much just bought into the hype for that first wave.
Looking at them now, I will probably only keep Batgirl, Starfire, and maybe Supergirl. I have Harley, Ivy, Bumblebee, Frost, WW, and SDCC Katana as well. I just don't like them as much unfortunately.

It's both me feeling like I need a more "grown up" room, even though I'm only 23. And feeling like it's claustrophobic and I constantly want to redecorate/shuffle things around, but I don't have the room to do that, so it gets stale.
Plus, I just want to collect other things.

It may mean that you want to get rid of the ones you don't love as much. Maybe try the "packing a few away for a while to see how you fair" thing.  Also, try and mix it up.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 09:15:25 PM by Claire85 »

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 08:49:57 PM »
What overwhelms me is mostly the idea of cleaning them.
I have now idea how they manage to collect so much dust and it's a pain to see them all dirty while on display.
But if I take them all down for a cleaning session, it would be like the activity for the weekend and I get tired just planning it. ^^;
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr