collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Author Topic: Where's all the Monster High? (fill me in?)  (Read 4940 times)

Offline ghoulbunny

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Stone Cold Style
  • -Monster High pun of an expression here-
    • View Profile
Where's all the Monster High? (fill me in?)
« on: May 25, 2018, 04:36:36 PM »
Maybe it's just in my area, but every Walmart and Target I go to, the Monster High section is nearly nonexistent. If it is, it's literally just a bunch of the budget dolls of the current line. The most variation I had seen was when I saw Electrified! Frankie at TRU. Even a lot of the Monster High minis are gone?

I recently saw Ghostly Tea Party and the Howling Hoodies releases, but that was like in March so I dunno. I've been away a bit from collecting dolls as I ran out of space, and I hadn't heard much news since.

Hows it at everyone else's Walmarts/Targets/etc. ?
wee woo

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
Re: Where's all the Monster High? (fill me in?)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 04:40:12 PM »
Our Walmart is just down to the slim box molded on swimsuit dolls.  We haven't been to Target in months, but at the time they had the new Ballet Moanica and Cleo, family pack Cleo, the minis with pets, and one lone Garden Ghouls Twyla. 
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline ghoulbunny

• Stone Cold Style
  • -Monster High pun of an expression here-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 04:44:09 PM »
Dang, I hadn't even seen the Ballet dolls. I don't go as often so maybe they sold out, but I didn't see them in person at all.
Maybe it's best if I just start buying from Amazon...
wee woo

Offline Jordan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 08:20:09 PM »
same here :( only place I've seen that has a normal sized MH shelf is the not-so-local Kmart

Offline VoidChilde

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 04:09:18 AM »
I'm in Quebec, Canada and Monster High is nowhere in any Walmart, there's only a few left at the nearest TRU and it's usually a lot of Treesa, the winged critters, the Winning Werewolves pack and the Vampire Kitchen playset. I've seen one lone Shriekwrecked Gooliope (that I bought) but nothing else.

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 06:32:07 AM »
Our local wally worlds have pretty much slashed the WHOLE doll section to nearly nothingness here in Lex KY.
There are almost NO dolls at all save for a few barbies and descendants.
Target is better they have most of the current barbie and monster high stuff .. as well as some of the other popular lines.
Mejiers has kept a good selection of barbie stuff but everything else has also been cut back.
I feel like a kid in the 80's again when for some unholy reason dolls fell outta favor.
heaven only knows

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 06:41:21 AM »
They're pretty much gone in my neck of the woods. ASDA and Tesco don't sell them at all, TRU is gone, and Smyths Toys just has a bunch of BYBY girls on clearance, some Treesas and the odd other thing i.e. Dracula/Draculaura set, the spa bus.. thing. Haven't seen any EAH for a long time.

edit: Oh, B&M has them too.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:21:28 PM by Carrehz »

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 06:59:43 AM »
Up here in the Northeast (Albany, NY area) we only have the molded on swimsuit dolls.  I did see the bus at one Walmart, but that's it.  :(
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline respositob

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 08:18:38 AM »
Haven't been to Target in awhile, but at my Walmart there were only the budget dolls. There's not even Monster High in the clearance section. As for TRU, the Ever After High section is nonexistent and the only Monster High stuff they have is Electrified! Frankie, the kitchen playset with Dracula, a lonely Ebbie Blue, and some minis.

I don't know if they're gone because Monster High is so popular that everyone scoops them up, or because they don't sell well and the stores have stops restocking. Unfortunately, the latter seems more likely... :(

Offline smileshy22

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Keep on smiling! ☺
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 08:55:11 AM »
My Target had the Minis and the Ballet dolls the last time I checked and when I went to Walmart yesterday, I didn't find any. The last Walmart I went to before that one only had a few Swimsuits  :( The only place that really has MH is Fry's (a local grocery store), which has Monster Family, the Budget Sweet dolls and the Minis.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:50:28 PM by smileshy22 »

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Create a Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 10:31:38 AM »
All the Walmarts around me only have budget dolls and Minis, Targets are better, they have the ballet dolls, family dolls, and some more non-budget dolls. Fred Meyer isn't as good as Target, but they have an okay selection. Their toys are overpriced though. TRU also had a decent variety of dolls, but due to the liquidation sales they're all sold out of MH, not sure if they'll be getting more in from their warehouse, but when I went almost a week ago, there were no MH dolls left, the only MH toy left was a Cleo vinyl figure, which I bought.

Haven't seen the tea party and hoodies dolls anywhere, I didn't know that they had been released yet since no stores around here are carrying them.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 04:52:39 PM »
Remember when MH dominated half of the doll section? :cry: Now there’s just a messy stack of $5 budget dolls, crammed into a small section of the bottom shelf at Walmart.

Bleh. Can’t say I love what’s happened to the toy industry in the last few years. :/ It feels like everything on the current market is aimed at 4-7 year olds...

Offline Jordan

• Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 02:16:20 PM »
if anyone has a 5Below near them I'd check there. I found a reboot articulated Howleen (which I'm going to house my budget customized head on for the time being)

Offline FangedPisces

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 05:09:49 PM »
Remember when MH dominated half of the doll section? :cry: Now there’s just a messy stack of $5 budget dolls, crammed into a small section of the bottom shelf at Walmart.

Bleh. Can’t say I love what’s happened to the toy industry in the last few years. :/ It feels like everything on the current market is aimed at 4-7 year olds...

It's true... but (and maybe I'm completely wrong) I feel that we can thank Monster High for all the new articulation we're seeing in dolls. I remember when it was just the five points and maybe a bend-and-snap knee. Now we're getting elbows and proper knees, and even ankles and wrists that move. How many dolls have jumped on that just because of Monster High? It may be pretty much over, but it won't be forgotten.

And you never know- it's summer, so maybe some Mattel interns will be getting in there and bringing some new ideas.
♫~♫~I need an o~ce~an~♫~♫

Desperately Seeking Gothic Girl (Dollar General) slimbox dolls (non-monster version). Willing to pay for your time as well as shipping! Please PM me?

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 10:33:31 PM »

It's true... but (and maybe I'm completely wrong) I feel that we can thank Monster High for all the new articulation we're seeing in dolls. I remember when it was just the five points and maybe a bend-and-snap knee. Now we're getting elbows and proper knees, and even ankles and wrists that move. How many dolls have jumped on that just because of Monster High? It may be pretty much over, but it won't be forgotten.

And you never know- it's summer, so maybe some Mattel interns will be getting in there and bringing some new ideas.

I believe you’re right on that point—playline dolls with articulation were quite rare before MH arrived on the scene. Sadly, I feel like we’re even seeing less and less of THAT these days, with lines like Forces of Destiny, Enchantimals, Shoppies, and the like taking up a substantial chunk of the present market. Don’t get me wrong, I LIKE those lines... but MH quality they are not. I feel like toy manufacturers keep regressing further and further on articulation, QC, and just overall design quality. If that’s what’s selling and turning a profit, who can blame them?

The current trend in the toy industry seems to be “cheap and disposable”. I really hope you’re right, and MH’s legacy lives on in the form of quality and articulation... but right now, the doll aisle is looking pretty bleak. :( I’ve honestly lost interest in nearly everything on the current playline market, whereas during MH’s reign, I was overwhelmed by my options (MH, EAH, Bratzillaz, Novi Stars, Liv, Mystixx, Winx, etc., etc.).

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 02:24:42 AM »
I know what you mean.  I've been oohing and aahing at the Fashionistas, but I can't stand their limited articulation.  (Monster High spoiled me.) It'd be worth an extra $5 per doll if they had even a little more poseability to them.  These remind me of the old 60s Barbies. 
Why did they scrap the vinyl legs? 
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Monsterfan95

• Glue-Seepage Head
  • Fan of horror movies and scary characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 12:24:44 PM »
Monster High made the other toy companies make dolls come with more articulation. Personally the barbie fashionistas dont bother me, since I feel that the points of articulation look horrible in photos.  :lol:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 02:54:38 AM »

I believe you’re right on that point—playline dolls with articulation were quite rare before MH arrived on the scene. Sadly, I feel like we’re even seeing less and less of THAT these days, with lines like Forces of Destiny, Enchantimals, Shoppies, and the like taking up a substantial chunk of the present market. Don’t get me wrong, I LIKE those lines... but MH quality they are not. I feel like toy manufacturers keep regressing further and further on articulation, QC, and just overall design quality. If that’s what’s selling and turning a profit, who can blame them?

The current trend in the toy industry seems to be “cheap and disposable”. I really hope you’re right, and MH’s legacy lives on in the form of quality and articulation... but right now, the doll aisle is looking pretty bleak. :( I’ve honestly lost interest in nearly everything on the current playline market, whereas during MH’s reign, I was overwhelmed by my options (MH, EAH, Bratzillaz, Novi Stars, Liv, Mystixx, Winx, etc., etc.).

I dunno. While maybe the other examples might not be as detailed as MH, the Shoppies have a similar level of detail. They might not have articulation (though that is changing as they are soon releasing dolls with articulated elbows and possibly knees) but each doll has a unique molded torso with painted details as well as detailed shoes and accessories, 2 Shopkins, a unique brush, a stand, and a card or name tag.

Also MTM Barbie is a thing. Their clothes might be relatively simple but when it comes to articulation they blow even MH out of the water.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 01:28:25 PM »
They're pretty much gone in my neck of the woods. ASDA and Tesco don't sell them at all, TRU is gone, and Smyths Toys just has a bunch of BYBY girls on clearance, some Treesas and the odd other thing i.e. Dracula/Draculaura set, the spa bus.. thing. Haven't seen any EAH for a long time.

edit: Oh, B&M has them too.

Same. I had just assumed the UK stopped stocking them. Sadly even when TRU was in shut down mode the sales on the dolls weren't great. They did have some good dolls still but too expensive :/

I wish I wasn't saying this but I don't mind that it's the case. Apologies for the pun but it's been a ghost of its former glory since the reboot. While there are some nice reboot dolls, the themes and concepts are just not MH enough to keep it going and no Ghoulia outside the special release is criminal.

I am happy with my dolls and happy that the opportunity to buy them second hand is still there. I hope they will do what G1 MLP did and ultimately inspire a big collecting community from the ashes in the future, as they were an incredibly awesome toy and concept. But I use past tense advisedly. The line ended long before this point. Unfortunately :/

我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline RenegadeAngel

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Creeperific
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 08:32:25 PM »
Same in my area. I'm assuming MH is being phased out just like EAH was.