collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 33
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

July 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Author Topic: Anime!  (Read 959 times)

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
Re: Anime!
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 05:23:10 PM »
Does anyone else ever feel like this:

I often find when I'm watching anime that the way that the writers are trying to portray a character, and the way that the character actually comes across, are two very different things. 
This was very much the case in The Ancient Magus' Bride.  The series repeats over and over again that Chise is selfish; but at no point in the series does Chise actually behave selfishly.  In fact, she regularly goes out of her way to take care of those around her (even strangers that she's just met) and has a tendency to ignore her own safety and well-being for others' sake.  She comes across as an inherently caring and distinctly non-selfish character, even though she's repeatedly called—and repeatedly calls herself—selfish.
I don't know if it's a translation thing, a cultural thing, or if the writers just don't realize that their characters' actions aren't matching up with who they're telling us the character is supposed to be. :huh:

I think the Chise being selfish thing isn't so much a mistranslation as definitely a cultural thing. Even though it takes place in England, the story is still so very Japanese. Like, the fact that she acts on her own, instead of relying on others, is something that would be selfish from a Japanese standpoint. Behaviour that isn't cooperative is inherently self-serving. Basically.

And I can definitely see it to some degree. She's got a self-destructive streak and doesn't consider that putting herself in danger to help others might actually be damaging to the people she cares about. Nor does she think that maybe the person she wants to save may want to save themself, or that someone else might be better able to do it. It makes her feel good to help, and feel like she has a purpose, but at a considerable cost to those around her. She does what she wants, without thinking of the consequences first (ie: the curse she ended up with; while she saved the dragon, she didn't think that maybe there was another way she could solve the problem, that wouldn't result in martyring herself).

In saying that, she and Elias have a lot of parallels in terms of selfishness, but his is a much, much deeper and more ominous sort due to his disconnect from humanity.

TL;DR: there's a point where selflessness becomes self-serving, and that's kind of where Chise sits.

Yeah I can see that.
I absolutely agree with your statement about selflessness sometimes becoming self-serving.  I suppose to me true selfishness is more malicious in its intent than being unintentionally self-serving.
Chise was immature and impetuous and didn't always think about how her actions affected those around her.  And yeah, that is, in its own way, selfish.  But her intentions were never to deliberately put her needs and desires above others', nor to intentionally ignore their feelings.  She was legitimately trying to help others--even if she didn't always go about it the right way.

But yeah, I guess in that instance it is more of a cultural thing than anything else.

It doesn't make her any less of an interesting character, though. I feel like her impetuousness and the fact that she does have that 'selfish' streak is rather an important aspect of her character development. She can't learn to trust people and love them if she doesn't get the chance to grow.

Oh no, I didn't mean that she wasn't an interesting character.  She had plenty of character flaws that the story saw her grow and develop through (immaturity, impetuousness, fear, self-loathing, abandonment issues).  I just don't feel that selfishness was one of them, except in a very broad sense of the word.

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline Claire85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 08:12:27 PM »
I basically binge watched the first season of Kimi Ni Todoke and I love it so much.
I legit cried in the first 1-7 episodes.

It's a Slice of Life, Comedy, and Romantic anime. Honestly, it's probably one of my favorites now.
The main character, Sawako, is so genuinely pure and I adore her. The characters are so precious.

Definitely will be watching the second season as well. I really recommend it, the characters and the story are wonderful.
Also kind of relate-able at times with feelings of loneliness, life, etc.

If you like those genres, I have a feeling you will adore this one. It's super highly rated and it's understandably so!

Edit:
Also watched the second season all day today. I really do love this anime. The second season was a bit frustrating for like the first half, but I'm mostly satisfied with how it ended.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:27:07 PM by Claire85 »

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 08:24:56 PM »
Found out that Idolish7 is getting a second season!

On July 7, 2018 at the IDOLiSH7 First Live on day 1, it was announced that the anime adaptation will be getting a season 2!

I am so happy!

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 06:02:15 PM »
On the subject of 'selfish' - I am not familiar with this series so I am only speculating, but it really depends on the words being used in the original. If it's wagamama, then that also has the context of being wilful - as does katte (ie, individuals doing things on their own terms). For example, if you say jibun-katte, then you're really talking about someone who does what they want to do, but if you say katte ni (something), it means they've done it of their own accord, perhaps without being asked to - but it doesn't necessarily mean that the action is unwanted. And wagamama literally breaks down into "wa ga mama - or "like myself", "in the way of myself", which is more again about doing something to one's own agenda rather than necessarily being what we would call in English, "selfish".

I am not necessarily in agreement that not being cooperative means you're selfish in a Japanese context. I think the words being used in English are probably heavier and less nuanced than the words being used in Japanese (but without knowing what they are I am only guessing).  Your description of her character makes it seem more logical in Japanese terms than in English ones. There are a lot of Japanese words that are much more nuanced than English ones, especially in American English which is usually the language of subbers or dubbers, and which is generally more blunt and direct than British English might be in the same context.

The character expressing herself to be selfish is self-deprecation, and probably doesn't impact on whether she actually is selfish or not in reality. And probably, she's also using the terminology above, which again, emphasises doing things her way according to her values, even if she's not been asked to.
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 03:53:05 PM »
I watched Ouran High School Host Club and I have to say, it was such a pleasant show to watch.
It was funny, interesting, albeit a little offensive at moments because of the time it came from, but the characters are super fun.
It's also a premise I am just so fond of. I do see why it's usually one of those animes that people will recommend.

I'm a sucker for RomCom School animes.

Shame it never got a second season; might check out the manga as it's finished.

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 04:00:43 PM »
I watched Ouran High School Host Club and I have to say, it was such a pleasant show to watch.
It was funny, interesting, albeit a little offensive at moments because of the time it came from, but the characters are super fun.
It's also a premise I am just so fond of. I do see why it's usually one of those animes that people will recommend.

I sometimes think Ouran is playing with those themes rather than being offensive with them. I mean, the central premise is that the main character doesn't care if she's seen as a girl or a guy and doesn't meet any of the stereotypes applied to most other female characters in the story, so I really think it's done on purpose.

I never read the manga. I always thought I should but the thought of importing it all from Japan with the weight of so many volumes put me off.
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 04:08:35 PM »

I sometimes think Ouran is playing with those themes rather than being offensive with them. I mean, the central premise is that the main character doesn't care if she's seen as a girl or a guy and doesn't meet any of the stereotypes applied to most other female characters in the story, so I really think it's done on purpose.

I never read the manga. I always thought I should but the thought of importing it all from Japan with the weight of so many volumes put me off.

I was more talking about the use of the word "tranny", although they never really poked fun at the characters who were transgender, it's still a jarring word to hear.

Other than that, I was surprised at how pretty progressive the show in general was.
Haruhi not caring what gender people think she is, their acceptance and, basically adoration, of homosexual relationships, people appreciating Honey as a dude who loves cute things, etc.
I was also surprised at how deep they went into their backstories. Was really only expecting maybe Tamaki to get the bulk of the backstory.

That's my personal problem with all manga to be honest haha. I don't have the patience to buy all of the volumes and read everything.

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 04:19:25 PM »

I was more talking about the use of the word "tranny", although they never really poked fun at the characters who were transgender, it's still a jarring word to hear.

Other than that, I was surprised at how pretty progressive the show in general was.
Haruhi not caring what gender people think she is, their acceptance and, basically adoration, of homosexual relationships, people appreciating Honey as a dude who loves cute things, etc.
I was also surprised at how deep they went into their backstories. Was really only expecting maybe Tamaki to get the bulk of the backstory.

That's my personal problem with all manga to be honest haha. I don't have the patience to buy all of the volumes and read everything.

But that's a word in translation, so that's a bad call by the translation people, either in sub or dub. I am actually not sure how progressive or politically correct the Japanese term okama is these days. It gets used but I'm not sure if it is perjorative or not in the current context. It would translate as transvestite, probably.  It doesn't translate as tranny. But translated versions of anime and manga often add in or change terms. It always annoys me when they add in swear words when there are pretty much never swear words in the Japanese. The language just isn't built for it.

I think transvestite is technically correct for Haruhi's father. I don't think he's transgender, but you're right, it's handled in a mostly positive way and it also feeds into haruhi's lack of preoccupation about gender and gender stereotypes, because her Dad is a role model for that acceptance rather than made a figure of fun or a source of trauma.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:22:31 PM by taffeta »
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline lilyflower332

• Two Left Hands
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 07:26:25 PM »
FMA Brotherhood, Soul Eater, and Ouran High School Host Club are easily my top 3. I also loved Aggretsuko, and some american styled anime like Teen Titans, Avatar the last Airbender, the Netflix+Dreamworks revival of Voltron...
I dont watch without english dubs, and I really only have netflix and my local library to use...so my selection is limited.
Netflix Castlevania was good, though i had never played the games. I also loved Pokemon Sun and Moon, after not being able to catch up with the Pokemon anime for years. I got most of the way through Cowboy Bebop as well, and i hope to finish it someday..
I also love Ghibli films, especially Howl's Moving Castle.
I am eager for new seasons of Castlevania, (because I heard if it does well theres a possibility of a Metroid anime) Aggretsuko (and merch) and Voltron, because i am SO invested in it.
I suppose all of those are my recommendations. Please feel free to ask me about any of them!

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 07:39:40 PM »
FMA Brotherhood, Soul Eater, and Ouran High School Host Club are easily my top 3. I also loved Aggretsuko, and some american styled anime like Teen Titans, Avatar the last Airbender, the Netflix+Dreamworks revival of Voltron...
I dont watch without english dubs, and I really only have netflix and my local library to use...so my selection is limited.
Netflix Castlevania was good, though i had never played the games. I also loved Pokemon Sun and Moon, after not being able to catch up with the Pokemon anime for years. I got most of the way through Cowboy Bebop as well, and i hope to finish it someday..
I am eager for new seasons of Castlevania, (because I heard if it does well theres a possibility of a Metroid anime) Aggretsuko (and merch) and Voltron, because i am SO invested in it.
I suppose all of those are my recommendations. Please feel free to ask me about any of them!

Love me some ATLA! I really need to finish/rewatch Korra though. I stopped watching it when it went to Nick.com strictly.
Also, love the Ghibli films. Need to catch up on more recent ones as well. Arrietty was the last one I saw.
A friend of mine is obsessed with Aggretsuko, but I don't blame her. It's super fun and I can't wait for the second season.

Is there a reason you don't watch subbed? Just wondering :)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:42:32 PM by Claire85 »

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Today at 01:09:29 AM »
I believe Crunchyroll also has some anime in dub. I don't know for sure because I am not a dub fan, but I do remember seeing a few titles that way and while there is a premium service, you can watch a lot of anime on there for free so long as you are happy dealing with the ad breaks.

Neither dubs nor subs are always 100% accurate. I find that sometimes when there are subs that can't be switched off, I end up getting distracted by them and I think that's a concern people sometimes have about reading and watching at the same time. I also sometimes have to rewind the episode to listen to what is actually said because sometimes the sub just doesn't make sense in context...

Brotherhood & Soul Eater are both pretty decent anime. I haven't watched either in some time though...
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Today at 06:00:47 AM »
I need to have another go with Aggretsuko. I loved the original shorts, but somehow I just couldn't get into the new series :s It bothered me how everyone except Retsuko seemed to have taken a level in jerk.

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Today at 08:14:19 AM »
Crunchyroll does have access to some dubbed titles; I think its usually the more popular/older titles though. Or if its a newer one, its only the first season or 2.
Like I know Free! has its first season dubbed, but not the second season yet nor the movies.

I used to feel the same about subbed, but I got used to it pretty quickly.
I would just rather hear the anime in the native tongue I think.
Plus the options for subbed anime are a lot larger than dubbed.

Offline lilyflower332

• Two Left Hands
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Today at 01:01:23 PM »

Love me some ATLA! I really need to finish/rewatch Korra though. I stopped watching it when it went to Nick.com strictly.
Also, love the Ghibli films. Need to catch up on more recent ones as well. Arrietty was the last one I saw.
A friend of mine is obsessed with Aggretsuko, but I don't blame her. It's super fun and I can't wait for the second season.

Is there a reason you don't watch subbed? Just wondering :)

Yeah! Often when i watch shows, i have to be doing something as well. For one, my dad considers tv a timewaster. (Along with most things i do) So it often gets me in less trouble. Also, I get pretty antsy as well. Not good at sitting and staring for ages.
So i need to be able to hear and understand whats going on, even if i'm not currently looking up at that moment. :)

Edit: Also, my second hobby is cosplaying, so i go to cons a lot. And as I'm american, i really only have opportunities to meet english voice actors.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:03:39 PM by lilyflower332 »