collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 33
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

September 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Author Topic: Anime!  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Claire85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
Anime!
« on: May 13, 2018, 06:54:01 PM »
I took like a few years hiatus from Anime watching but recently I've been starting back up again.
I used to watch it all the time but then in like 2012 I stopped.

So I was wondering if you guys watch/enjoy any anime?

What kind/genres do you like?
Favorites/Loves?
Least favorite?
Recommendations?
Watching this season/Currently?
Recently finished?
Looking forward to?
Hopeful for?

What kind/genres do you like:
I usually like Rom/Com, Comedy, Slice of Life

Favorites/Loves:
Free!, Angel Beats, Food Wars, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, Nijiiro Days (Rainbow Days), Hyouka

Least favorite:
School Days.. Honestly it kind of scarred me. I went into it completely blind. For some reason sources list it as a comedy.. It's NOT a comedy.. At all. I regret watching it a few years ago.

Recommendations?
Definitely Free!, Food Wars, and Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, Comic Girls, IDOLISH7, ReLIFE, Magical Girl Ore, and Aggretsuko

Watching this season/Currently:
Butlers x Butlers, IDOLISH7, Food Wars, Magical Girls Ore, Umamusume: Pretty Derby, Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi

Recently finished:
Nijiiro Days, Aggretsuko, ReLIFE, Sanrio Boys, and Kiss Him, Not Me!

Looking forward to:
Free! Dive to the Future (season 3)

Hopeful for:
Yuri on Ice season 2, Sanrio Boys season 2

I usually keep track by https://myanimelist.net/animelist/ClaireL58, but I also have a Powerpoint as well.
I didn't want to go too much into it, but I can definitely explain why I enjoyed them as well.
I don't have many places to geek out on anime with.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:21:47 PM by Claire85 »

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
Re: Anime!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 08:24:06 PM »
Oh yeah!  I love anime and manga!  I'm always watching something new and have a queue a mile long on Crunchyroll. :biggrin:

What kind/genres do you like? 
Josei, slice of life, and mystery/psychological thriller.

Favorites/Loves? 
Nana, Sword Art Online, Yuri on Ice, and Death Note are my top favorite titles.

Least favorite? 
I know that they're immensely popular, but I really disliked One Punch Man and Bleach.

Recommendations? 
So many! LOL  Anohana; Death Parade; Tanaka-kun is Always Listless; Sakura Quest; Erased; Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions; Yona of the Dawn; and School-Live! immediately spring to mind.

Watching this season/Currently? 
Fate/stay night, Sword Art Online II (again), and Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online.

Recently finished?
The Ancient Magus' Bride.

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 08:36:03 PM »
@SaelaVe It's funny you mention not caring for One Punch Man, because I am in the same boat.
I wanted to like it so badly, but I didn't think how bizarre it was going to be.
The enemy in the first or second episode, I was like "What did I sign myself up for?".

Ironically, Magical Girl Ore is also similarly bizarre, but it's hilarious and I love it. So much. Definitely recommend.

Yuri on Ice was so wonderful and precious to watch. I am constantly waiting for a second season announcement.

I don't use the Crunchyroll Queue that much. I have no idea why haha. I mainly use MAL and Powerpoint.
But for my Powerpoint I have 4 slides... "Anime to Continue", "Anime Schedule", "Anime to Watch", and "Anime to Finish". I need to be organized haha.
Also the problem with me is that I have so many things on my "to watch" list, but I always watch random ones I find instead.

I also should have added "Looking Forward to" and "Hopeful for?".. I think I'm going to edit that in.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:47:43 PM by Claire85 »

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 06:39:26 AM »
Oh, I like anime.. don't really watch many new series, but let's see..

What kind/genres do you like? Mahou shoujo!
Favorites/Loves? Ojamajo Doremi, Tokyo Mew Mew, Wedding Peach, Midori no Hibi, Lucky Star, Bottle Fairy, Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Least favorite? Not sure if I have one.. most of the popular stuff like Bleach, Attack on Titan, One Punch Man, etc, is completely uninteresting to me.. but I haven't seen them so I can't really say they're my "least favourite". I dunno.
Recommendations?[/b] Anything on my like/favourite list XD For Lucky Star I would say watch at least the first few eps before making a decision on it, I know the first ep is a "love it or hate it" ep for a lot of people, but it does pick up after that.. Bottle Fairy probably isn't for everyone since it's pure sugar fluff, but I like it. :B
Watching this season/Currently? Aggressive Retsuko/Aggretsuko. So far I like the original shorts better.. but I'm only halfway through the new Netflix show, so maybe I'll warm up to it later XD
I really want to rewatch Doremi and Madoka Magica... aiming to do that this summer. And I really need to get back to Sugar Sugar Rune sometime.. and I have been in a Midori mood lately.. /ramble
Recently finished? Aggressive Retsuko, the original series of shorts
Looking forward to? -shrug- Nothing that I can think of.
Hopeful for? Not sure what this one means.. I guess I'm still sort of hoping they'll make an anime of Ojamajo Doremi 16, but it's been so long since the light novels were first released that I doubt it'll happen now ^^;

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 07:09:46 PM »
So after about 2 months of no new episode, Idolish7 came back yesterday for their season finale episodes.

Usually "idol" anime's are just about the songs and don't really delve deeper into the character's emotions and lives.
I will say I7 was super unique.
What makes it unique, besides learning/feeling more for the character's, is the animation. Troyca animated it beautifully for the show.
What really captivated me, was when they show them singing major songs, the beautiful 2D animation turns into really cool 3D CGI.
It's impressive and I was a little taken back when I first saw the transition, but I easily adapted and learned to love it.

The songs are really catchy as well. You also learn a little bit more about what is behind the scenes of these idol groups. The managers, the presidents, the familial stories of the group, etc. It definitely gave a sense of more real world issues that could happen.

Also, even though it's about 7+ hot guys, it's not fanservice-y at all. You really learn to love/like the guys for more reasons than their looks. Which is super welcome because the last idol anime I watched turned out to be a harem-type situation (Uta no Prince-sama) and that type gets annoying after a while.

It's originally a gacha game (which I haven't gotten into... yet), but from what I've heard from reviewers/fans, it's adapted very well and true to the game's plot. Which is definitely rare for anime, well shows in general actually.

I would really really recommend watching this show, because it deserves the attention and a second season.
It's 17 episodes (haha cause I7... 17... Yeah..) but honestly a really easy binge.
It's not just your average happy-go-lucky idol anime in my opinion.

Please let me know if any of you guys watch it!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:18:22 PM by Claire85 »

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 01:30:21 PM »
I just added Idolish7 to my Crunchyroll queue.  I'm usually not interested in idol anime at all, but you've got me very intrigued by this one.  I love character-driven stories so I'm excited to give this one a try.

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who dislikes One Punch Man. XD

Claire, I completely agree about Yuri on Ice.  It was so beautiful and so much more than I was expecting.  I could watch it again right now. ^.^

I'm watching Girls und Panzer right now.  It's incredibly cute.  Just a great feel-good series with excellent characters and a really nice blend of slice-of-life and light action.

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 02:57:04 PM »
Oh yay SaelaVe! I really hope you enjoy it. Trying to get the word out so a second season is possible haha.
I'm interested in Idol animes purely for random enjoyment. Most of them are just super fanservice-y and/or harem-like so it's
hard to be invested.

I would love to give One Punch Man another try, but there are so many other shows I want to watch first. It's not really on my radar.
I don't feel like I gave it a fair shot.

I say go for the re-watch haha. It's another one of those shows where I didn't know what to expect going into it. It was just so precious to watch.

I'm currently watching Toradora! and I'm kind of into it. Not sure if I like it a lot though. It's an interesting show.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 03:29:16 PM »
Yeah, Toradora! was one that I did like, but didn't love it.  I won't say anything until you finish it; then we can compare notes. :biggrin:

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 08:46:23 PM »
Yeah, Toradora! was one that I did like, but didn't love it.  I won't say anything until you finish it; then we can compare notes. :biggrin:
I'll put it under spoiler just in case.

Ok so, I haven't finished it yet. I just finished the Christmas Party episode.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:58:51 PM by Claire85 »

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 07:59:51 PM »
Ok I finally finished Toradora...

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 11:28:37 AM »

Does anyone else ever feel like this:

I often find when I'm watching anime that the way that the writers are trying to portray a character, and the way that the character actually comes across, are two very different things. 
This was very much the case in The Ancient Magus' Bride.  The series repeats over and over again that Chise is selfish; but at no point in the series does Chise actually behave selfishly.  In fact, she regularly goes out of her way to take care of those around her (even strangers that she's just met) and has a tendency to ignore her own safety and well-being for others' sake.  She comes across as an inherently caring and distinctly non-selfish character, even though she's repeatedly called—and repeatedly calls herself—selfish.
I don't know if it's a translation thing, a cultural thing, or if the writers just don't realize that their characters' actions aren't matching up with who they're telling us the character is supposed to be. :huh:

Toradora made think about that...

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 02:13:38 PM »

I often find when I'm watching anime that the way that the writers are trying to portray a character, and the way that the character actually comes across, are two very different things. 
This was very much the case in The Ancient Magus' Bride.  The series repeats over and over again that Chise is selfish; but at no point in the series does Chise actually behave selfishly.  In fact, she regularly goes out of her way to take care of those around her (even strangers that she's just met) and has a tendency to ignore her own safety and well-being for others' sake.  She comes across as an inherently caring and distinctly non-selfish character, even though she's repeatedly called—and repeatedly calls herself—selfish.
I don't know if it's a translation thing, a cultural thing, or if the writers just don't realize that their characters' actions aren't matching up with who they're telling us the character is supposed to be. :huh:

Toradora made think about that...

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 10:33:51 AM »

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 11:22:50 AM »

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 04:15:49 PM »
All of my shows from this season are starting to end. It's sad!

Just finished Comic Girls and I loved it. I cried so often from this show. It's just such a pure, funny and lovely show.
I do recommend it, especially if you just really like wholesome slice of life anime.

Also finished Food Wars! I can't wait until the next season so they can continue/finish off this huge arc.

Annnnd Free!: Dive to the Future (aka Season 3) starts July 13th and I'm so pumped! I love those boys.
If you want to watch Free!, I really recommend watching the movie Free: Take Your Marks before season 3 starts.
But also need to watch the prequel movie too.. I personally like how, for lack of better phrasing, extensive the lore is; but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

My list would be: Season 1, Season 2, Prequel Movie, Recent Movie, and then Season 3.

Finally found a website that had it. If you wanna know, I'll PM you it as it's not a website like Crunchyroll and I don't really enjoy supporting it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 04:25:54 PM by Claire85 »

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 06:54:35 PM »
Just finished Comic Girls and I loved it. I cried so often from this show. It's just such a pure, funny and lovely show.
I do recommend it, especially if you just really like wholesome slice of life anime.

Oh I will definitely have to try that then.  I love those sorts of series!

I just wrapped up Non Non Biyori, which was adorable!!  Very cute, very funny, great characters.  Definitely recommend!

I also recently watched Natsuyuki Rendezvous, and that was terrible.  I don't recommend that one at all. :P

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 07:10:11 PM »

I think the Chise being selfish thing isn't so much a mistranslation as definitely a cultural thing. Even though it takes place in England, the story is still so very Japanese. Like, the fact that she acts on her own, instead of relying on others, is something that would be selfish from a Japanese standpoint. Behaviour that isn't cooperative is inherently self-serving. Basically.

And I can definitely see it to some degree. She's got a self-destructive streak and doesn't consider that putting herself in danger to help others might actually be damaging to the people she cares about. Nor does she think that maybe the person she wants to save may want to save themself, or that someone else might be better able to do it. It makes her feel good to help, and feel like she has a purpose, but at a considerable cost to those around her. She does what she wants, without thinking of the consequences first (ie: the curse she ended up with; while she saved the dragon, she didn't think that maybe there was another way she could solve the problem, that wouldn't result in martyring herself).

In saying that, she and Elias have a lot of parallels in terms of selfishness, but his is a much, much deeper and more ominous sort due to his disconnect from humanity.

TL;DR: there's a point where selflessness becomes self-serving, and that's kind of where Chise sits.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 12:29:22 AM »

I think the Chise being selfish thing isn't so much a mistranslation as definitely a cultural thing. Even though it takes place in England, the story is still so very Japanese. Like, the fact that she acts on her own, instead of relying on others, is something that would be selfish from a Japanese standpoint. Behaviour that isn't cooperative is inherently self-serving. Basically.

And I can definitely see it to some degree. She's got a self-destructive streak and doesn't consider that putting herself in danger to help others might actually be damaging to the people she cares about. Nor does she think that maybe the person she wants to save may want to save themself, or that someone else might be better able to do it. It makes her feel good to help, and feel like she has a purpose, but at a considerable cost to those around her. She does what she wants, without thinking of the consequences first (ie: the curse she ended up with; while she saved the dragon, she didn't think that maybe there was another way she could solve the problem, that wouldn't result in martyring herself).

In saying that, she and Elias have a lot of parallels in terms of selfishness, but his is a much, much deeper and more ominous sort due to his disconnect from humanity.

TL;DR: there's a point where selflessness becomes self-serving, and that's kind of where Chise sits.

Yeah I can see that.
I absolutely agree with your statement about selflessness sometimes becoming self-serving.  I suppose to me true selfishness is more malicious in its intent than being unintentionally self-serving.
Chise was immature and impetuous and didn't always think about how her actions affected those around her.  And yeah, that is, in its own way, selfish.  But her intentions were never to deliberately put her needs and desires above others', nor to intentionally ignore their feelings.  She was legitimately trying to help others--even if she didn't always go about it the right way.

But yeah, I guess in that instance it is more of a cultural thing than anything else.

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 07:07:46 AM »

Yeah I can see that.
I absolutely agree with your statement about selflessness sometimes becoming self-serving.  I suppose to me true selfishness is more malicious in its intent than being unintentionally self-serving.
Chise was immature and impetuous and didn't always think about how her actions affected those around her.  And yeah, that is, in its own way, selfish.  But her intentions were never to deliberately put her needs and desires above others', nor to intentionally ignore their feelings.  She was legitimately trying to help others--even if she didn't always go about it the right way.

But yeah, I guess in that instance it is more of a cultural thing than anything else.

It doesn't make her any less of an interesting character, though. I feel like her impetuousness and the fact that she does have that 'selfish' streak is rather an important aspect of her character development. She can't learn to trust people and love them if she doesn't get the chance to grow.

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 02:15:45 PM »
Pretty much binged watch the first season of a show called My Teen Romantic Comedy, currently watching the 2nd season as well.

Honestly, I'm really enjoying it. It's funny, but it's earnestly very realistic in how people actually act/react to things.
I really thought it would be just a usual harem anime, but it's unique in it's execution.

It's hard to explain other than it's far more... blunt than most anime character's/anime shows are.

I would really give it a try.