collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Calendar

June 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: What's up with the toy industry?  (Read 451 times)

Offline writtenhuman

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
    • That Monster Mash
What's up with the toy industry?
« on: May 02, 2018, 08:13:33 AM »
Is it just me, or is the toy industry suffering lately? I don't know if it's just the way things are and I'm only noticing now after being a collector for a few years, but it seems like a lot of lines have been dying off or moving towards a really disposable sort off quality.

There are still some really nice ones, to be sure, but just with Zelfs having ended, Star Darlings, Bratz, Ever After High, Monster High, and so on ending as well... It's just interesting to me. And annoying, as I find myself only regularly liking Barbies (and only a few of them) out of the really active doll lines. But, yeah, I'm curious as to what's up with this or if I'm making something out of nothing.

Online Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
Re: What's up with the toy industry?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 08:32:09 AM »
It's just trends. Surprise toys are really popular right now thanks to kids watching all the toy opening channels on YouTube. LOL Surprise fly off the shelves in the same way MH did during the first few years.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline writtenhuman

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
    • That Monster Mash
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 08:36:41 AM »
It's just trends. Surprise toys are really popular right now thanks to kids watching all the toy opening channels on YouTube. LOL Surprise fly off the shelves in the same way MH did during the first few years.

Mmm, makes sense. I wondered if that was the case, but I haven't been collecting long enough to have seen it happen myself.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:41:31 AM »
I agree with Wardah.  I don't think that the toy industry as a whole is suffering, but dolls don't seem to be trending right now.

These ebbs and flows of toy lines skyrocketing to popularity and then quickly dying off have kind of always been the case.
 Toy history is littered with stories of lines that became insanely huge, lasted for about five years, and then fell out of favor with their target audience and died off.  Kids' tastes change rapidly as they get older, so very few toy lines continue to be popular for decades in the way that Barbie has (and even Barbie has been retooled countless times over the years in order to stay relevant).

Right now we're seeing a lack of interest in dolls, but blind bag toys and collectible figures are huge right now.  Toys like Shopkins, Tsum Tsums, Fingerlings, and Hatchimals are all killing it at the moment.

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline 8BrickMario

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 06:48:27 AM »
Yeah, dolls are hardly the entire toy market. They're just not at a peak right now. To be honest, I'm not really sure what toys are popular now besides the blind toys that are everywhere. Other toys are either stable long runners (LEGO, Barbie) or just...there?
My photo thread:           My drawing thread:

Offline biofreak659

• Glue-Seepage Head
  • Lab Goblin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 01:14:53 AM »
It's also true that both Hasbro and Mattel are suffering (in part due to TRU closing and in part due to certain toys not being popular right now). Even outside of doll lines, action figures aren't doing so well. Take Black Panther for example: it is hugely popular, but some of the Marvel Universe figures for that movie are shelf warmers. And most of the recent transformers releases are shelfwarmers as well. I think Wardah and SaelaVe have the right idea.

Offline saharali

• Home Ick
  • Power Princess
    • View Profile
    • Doll Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 02:27:12 AM »

This is eternally disappointing. Surprise figures kind of drive me insane because I'm a collector and it's sometimes IMPOSSIBLE to get a full set (looking at you, MH Minis)

Online Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 08:26:14 AM »

This is eternally disappointing. Surprise figures kind of drive me insane because I'm a collector and it's sometimes IMPOSSIBLE to get a full set (looking at you, MH Minis)

The MH Minis weren't too hard for me to complete the sets I wanted because they had codes. It's stuff like LOLs with no visible codes at all that kill me. And the hacks people come up with don't always work with the company constantly changing things. If only they weren't so cute.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline saharali

• Home Ick
  • Power Princess
    • View Profile
    • Doll Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 06:40:54 PM »
The MH Minis weren't too hard for me to complete the sets I wanted because they had codes. It's stuff like LOLs with no visible codes at all that kill me. And the hacks people come up with don't always work with the company constantly changing things. If only they weren't so cute.

Ah I'm so jealous. Finding them in Australia can be hours of work for no reward. Very disappointing how little Aus cares about Monster High :c