collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Author Topic: Using glue instead of sewing doll clothes together - good or bad?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
I've been seeing a lot of videos on Youtube that show making "no sew" doll clothes with a hot glue gun, instead of sewing.  (That is, using glue instead of a needle & thread to put clothes together.) I know that some have made clothes with fabric glue, which dries out over time and leaves a stain.  Is hot glue any better?  Or safer?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:24:43 AM by Wuvmykitties »
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
Re: Using glue to make doll clothes - good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 12:15:22 PM »
Hot glue applies best to porous surfaces like fleece, cotton, etc.—you may have some success with it if you are using these or other porous, non-stretching fabrics. HOWEVER, it does tend to break down over time... I’ve seen a lot of cases of “hot glue failure” across various craft projects. Sometimes, it took only a few years for the glued items to begin falling apart.

Furthermore, any stretchy fabrics would be crippled by stiff, inflexible glue seams. On most doll-scale garments, these large, bulky seams would also be highly visible and possibly even interfere with fitting. Hot glue, unlike “rubber cement”, Fabritac, and certain specialized adhesives, has no give or stretch.

Hot glue can be a lovely tool for many things, but a replacement for sewing it is NOT. :(

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 02:45:39 PM »
I completely agree.  I just wish there weren't so many ppl using it as an alternative to sewing.

Offline beautiful_monster

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
  • I want more life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 08:48:29 AM »
For some reason, when I read this post, I thought you meant using hot glue to "create" clothing for the doll. Let me try to explain....

Cover doll torso with something like plastic wrap (which would probably melt, bad idea) or tin foil (which would protect the doll body from glue, but not heat) or .... plastic wrap covered in masking tape (hear me out) and then use one of those fancy sparkle glue sticks and just cover the doll's torso with like, stripes or a full coat of sparkle glue. Basically "draw" the clothing onto the doll body using the glue. Lo temp glue would probably be best.

Then.... after the glue dries.... carefully cut it off with an xacto knife (you could use a bait body if you want to be less careful) and voila! Some kind of.... I dunno... glittery bikini top that can be "popped" on and off of the doll's body like those other little dolls and things that have molded plastic clothing that snaps on and off.

That's what I thought you were inquiring about!

:goes back into hiding:

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 10:17:00 AM »
For some reason, when I read this post, I thought you meant using hot glue to "create" clothing for the doll. Let me try to explain....

Cover doll torso with something like plastic wrap (which would probably melt, bad idea) or tin foil (which would protect the doll body from glue, but not heat) or .... plastic wrap covered in masking tape (hear me out) and then use one of those fancy sparkle glue sticks and just cover the doll's torso with like, stripes or a full coat of sparkle glue. Basically "draw" the clothing onto the doll body using the glue. Lo temp glue would probably be best.

Then.... after the glue dries.... carefully cut it off with an xacto knife (you could use a bait body if you want to be less careful) and voila! Some kind of.... I dunno... glittery bikini top that can be "popped" on and off of the doll's body like those other little dolls and things that have molded plastic clothing that snaps on and off.

Psst, I was thinking the same thing when I read it.  I even found myself wondering how you'd remove the clothing from the doll or if it would have to stay in its glue attire forever.  ^^;
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline DGRequiem

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
    • RequiemArt.com
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 04:45:03 PM »
Eh... there is fabric glue, specifically for fabric, and it has its uses, like sticking on ribbon or doing a hem when you don't want a visible seam (like for crisp, starched looking tiny collars).  Anything subjected to stress, like a seam, should be sewn.  Stronger, smaller, neater bond than any glue. 

Hot glue?  Definitely not.  Maybe some shoe applications, but that's cobbling, not sewing :)
Check out my Etsy Shop for custom dolls and doll clothes patterns!

Offline Ameyal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 06:20:38 PM »

Psst, I was thinking the same thing when I read it.  I even found myself wondering how you'd remove the clothing from the doll or if it would have to stay in its glue attire forever.  ^^;
Thirded!
I thought it was something like the people on youtube that do clothes with tissue paper(Or toilet paper, wathever is called) or even paper mache :p

On topic, I think hot glue/general glue work only on thick fabrics, like felt.

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 07:21:46 AM »
I guess I didn't clarify myself well enough.  :(
I've since altered the title.  I just wish ppl would't try to resort to quick fixes like using hot glue (instead of a needle and thread) to "sew" clothes.  They don't last that long.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:23:34 AM by Wuvmykitties »

Offline 13blackcats

• First Wave Dead Tired
  • Everyday is Halloween!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Using glue instead of sewing doll clothes together - good or bad?
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 08:51:34 PM »
I think using glue to put together is just wrong. I realize that sewing small seams can be a challenge, but gluing eliminates the need for skill, creating - IMO - an inferior product. Not trying to be snobby, but glue could never replace needle and thread in quality. If you want to make an outfit, then learn to sew it properly.

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »
I think hot glue might work great for shoes or plastic accessories, but clothes/fabric, not so much.
As Requiem said, it's useful in clothes but just for specific cases.
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 05:43:57 PM »
I agree with you!  In the video I saw for making Barbie clothes, they used it also for making nice hems on tops with sleeves.  . 

Offline Quillette

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 07:47:19 AM »
I can see how people would be eager to find a quick way to make dolls clothes. Sewing takes some practice to get right, also way more time and patience then some people have to make an outfit.