collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 33
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

July 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Author Topic: Mattel Closing New York Office  (Read 521 times)

Offline rco55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Two Left Hands
    • View Profile
Mattel Closing New York Office
« on: April 11, 2018, 01:52:50 PM »
Saw this today:

http://comicbook.com/2018/04/10/mattel-closing-new-york-office/

Well, I'm not sure if them closing their New York Office in order to help them get out of their debt will affect the dolls quality for the better, but things are still looking a bit dark for Mattel to have them do something like this.

What do you guys think? Hopefully closing that office will help relieve some of the costs and those can be relocated into their products, but if that's the case i'm pretty sure it will still go to the brands they make products for, not necessarily their own.

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Mattel Closing New York Office
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 04:06:58 PM »
That wouldn't be a long-term solution to making the dolls better, maybe only for a year or so.

Offline Knightfire

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
    • Growing Up is for Quitters
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 05:51:23 PM »
Oof, thatís ominous.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 10:02:08 PM »
I wouldn't read too much into it because supposedly it wasn't all that important an office and there's another one in another part of New York.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 04:32:12 PM »
I wouldn't think that this would help with product quality at all.  They're $650 million in debt, so I'm guessing that whatever they save or earn by closing this office will need to go straight to their investors and lenders.  It wouldn't be available for pouring into production.

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline snowblossum

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 09:38:32 PM »
Honestly I canít understand how Mattel is on debt?
Barbie brand alone is still so popular, I will have to do some reading

Offline piinkypiie

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 10:45:38 PM »
Honestly I canít understand how Mattel is on debt?
Barbie brand alone is still so popular, I will have to do some reading

Lemme know when you find out, I'm curious too :)
^.^ :drac: :hearts: :rainbow:

Offline rco55

• Two Left Hands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 06:52:12 AM »
I wouldn't think that this would help with product quality at all.  They're $650 million in debt, so I'm guessing that whatever they save or earn by closing this office will need to go straight to their investors and lenders.  It wouldn't be available for pouring into production.

Right. I assumed so as well...it's a shame though, because Mattel is in a weird cycle of making "passable" quality products (sometimes not even that) and bland ideas which might put people off from buying them, then they cannot make as much as they would hope for, which then turns into them not being able to make better quality products due to lack of profit. I don't know how it is where you guys are, but here their products are gathering dust in the shelves everywhere, and they've been on sale since december.

Hopefully this two year plan to recover from the debt will help - I can't imagine how would it be if Mattel ever had to file for Bankrupcy :| I'm also super curious as to what caused them to be in such a huge debt.

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 06:53:54 AM »
Hopefully this two year plan to recover from the debt will help - I can't imagine how would it be if Mattel ever had to file for Bankrupcy :| I'm also super curious as to what caused them to be in such a huge debt.

Me too...surely some of that is not getting a ROI on Gen 2 or EAH.....in general.....but not nearly that much.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 09:36:53 AM »

Right. I assumed so as well...it's a shame though, because Mattel is in a weird cycle of making "passable" quality products (sometimes not even that) and bland ideas which might put people off from buying them, then they cannot make as much as they would hope for, which then turns into them not being able to make better quality products due to lack of profit. I don't know how it is where you guys are, but here their products are gathering dust in the shelves everywhere, and they've been on sale since december.

It won't get to that point because another company will gobble them up. They still have lots of very valuable properties even if the company has been mismanaging them. Hasbro may very well get their wish someday.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline rco55

• Two Left Hands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 07:46:02 PM »
It won't get to that point because another company will gobble them up. They still have lots of very valuable properties even if the company has been mismanaging them. Hasbro may very well get their wish someday.

I'm honestly kind of hoping it happens, since it's very easy to see that Mattel has great ideas, but (as of the last couple of years, at least) a rather dubious modus operandi  ^^;