collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

July 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Author Topic: What were they thinking?! toy lines  (Read 1210 times)

Offline DreamCatcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
Re: What were they thinking?! toy lines
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 01:17:07 AM »
I'm not a fan of the "big eyes overrule every other facial feature" trend of most cartoons and toys nowadays. I don't like those "glitter eyes" of the Beanie Boos either. It's like they're overcompensating for their soulessness.

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 06:21:00 AM »
I know.  They weird me out.
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 09:51:18 AM »
Haha, I actually think the Beanie Boos are pretty cute, I like them. Glittery in a way that doesn't get glitter everywhere since it's just the eyes. Don't have space to collect them but I at least bought a mini version of the seal one because I at least wanted something of them.

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 03:40:07 PM »
What annoys me about Beanie Boos is that they're just Ty trying to rip-off YooHoo and Friends -_- Heck, Aurora even sued them over it when the Beanie Boo line first came out. And now it seems like all the major plushie makers have their own YooHoo knockoff o.O I guess they're popular. Odd. I just wish there was a bit more variety out there, haha. YooHoos were fun *because* they were different, now it seems like every other plushie has those big ol' eyes.

(I admit some of the newer Beanie Boos are pretty cute, though. I prefer YooHoos in general, but still.)

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Monster Hunter
  • "there are tiny squishy MH tiny people"
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 12:56:55 AM »
What annoys me about Beanie Boos is that they're just Ty trying to rip-off YooHoo and Friends -_- Heck, Aurora even sued them over it when the Beanie Boo line first came out. And now it seems like all the major plushie makers have their own YooHoo knockoff o.O I guess they're popular. Odd. I just wish there was a bit more variety out there, haha. YooHoos were fun *because* they were different, now it seems like every other plushie has those big ol' eyes.

(I admit some of the newer Beanie Boos are pretty cute, though. I prefer YooHoos in general, but still.)

When I was in elementary school, I was still living in Canada and my friends had this "special" club called the Big Eyed Stuffy Club. There were these stuffed animals out at the time (which I now know were produced by Russ and called Li'l Peepers, but we did not know as kids so we called them Big Eyed Stuffies) and you had to have one to be in the club. I always wanted one even before that, but as kids do for some reason, even more once my friends had this "exclusive" club. I got my first for Christmas and it was a pink hippo, many more followed suit and I had a small (and now gone :( ) collection of them, my fave was a bat.
This was in the very early 2000's, I'm unable to find a release date for them (I did a fair amount of searching to no avail) but I'm wondering if even Yoohoos were the first? If they still were, this has been going on for a lot longer than Beanie Boo's or any following plush lines, though. My first thought when I saw Beanie Boos was "Whoa hey TY is ripping off the Big Eyed Stuffies now??"
I have to admit I do adore a lot of the Beanie Boos, I have a small handful of cats and dragons from them. I think it may be because of the nostalgia with the Li'l Peepers, though, but they are quite adorable.

(click for beeg version)
Also Esbayne on the MLP Arena, PonyIsland, and pretty much everywhere else.
Looking for Ghouls Rule Cleo's necklace + scarf!

:kitty:

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 03:14:50 AM »